Sign in to follow this  
Lucas

New food craving

Five years ago it was scotch eggs, now I have absolutely no idea why I liked them. I even think they're a bit disgusting, horribly mouth-drying and hard to swallow. Four years ago it was strawberrys, which whilst I still think are nice I seem to pick up the sour taste a lot more now. About once every 15 months this changes.

Now eggs have suddenly become as tasty as mythical golden apples. I'm sure I remember after my scotch egg phase faded that eggs were messy, bitter and inconsistent. They now taste and feel NOTHING like that.

I wish I knew how to control my sensory rotation totally; I could make the healthiest foods delicious and saturated, salt-infested, sugar-ridden rubbish seem as distusting as it really is. In no time I'd lose weight, improve my skin, sleep patterns and generally feel better.

reece is just like that he went through eating garlic bread for breakfast dinner and tea then nann bread then choc spread and quaver sarnies together

now its skips or bread dipped in tomatoe sauce

love donnaxxx

Yep have this times 2 in our house. Both my son will eat the same thing for months because they love it :wub: until one day I am asked why I am giving them 'this' to eat again when they hate it and it makes them feel :sick: just looking at it. It's the same with drinks to. I have kind of got used to this over the last ten years.

Cat

yeah me too cat i fill the cupboards with watever reece is eating at the time then he goes off it and i end up with loads of it lying around..

but weve got used too it too

love donnaxxxx

Oh my, I'm addicted to peas in the pod. Every year I wait for this time of year when you can buy them in the shops. When I had enoough room in the garden I grew my own. I love popping them out the pod and guzzling them... especially the really sweet ones... not so much the big fat ones. Yum.

Flo' :D

I go through phases like that. For a while I ate pancakes every single day for breakfast. I stockpiled Jif lemons to eat on my pancakes, and then went off pancakes. I now have six Jif lemons!

I don't generally go off things after I stop eating them though. The reason I don't eat them any more is because I am now in a fried-egg-on-toast phase, and eating the pancake would mean missing out on that. But I would still enjoy a pancake now.

Eggs are full of nutrition though. Although they contain fat, they can form part of a healthy diet. I find that planning meals ahead of time helps me to keep to a healthy diet.

I go through phases of eating the same foods all the time. When I was younger I used to have a scrambled egg sandwich every morning for years then suddenly went off that, then cheese on toast for another few years.

Yup ds is the same.........and boy is he hard work too feed!!!! At the mo it is muffins but only a certain make any others he gags on..he will have them for breakfast dinner and tea!!!!

Wonder if any ifyou can help

Can this suddenly happen half way through a meal?

It would explain Z's funny eating where she will start eating a meal saying how nice it is and then half way through she's had enough, it tastes digusting and she hates it.

It would explain Z's funny eating where she will start eating a meal saying how nice it is and then half way through she's had enough, it tastes digusting and she hates it.

Cant tell you what the reasoning is but ds does it aswel.

Yes it does happen very suddenly. I experience it most with drinks. When I'm thirsty I always get a small drink of water to see how it tastes first before then doing the same test with fruit squash, juice or milk. I have to do this just to make sure I'm not going to cough it back up or breath it into an airway accidently. When I drink, I drink quickly in case the taste and texture changes.

I only have this problem with room-temperature drinks, hot or very cold drinks are no problem. I don't dehydrate as much when I remember to keep a tray of ice in the fridge.

how interesting. I've noticed my son does that with drinks Lucas, he will take a couple of sips first, then he'll gulp it back really quickly.

Also, while I haven't really thought much about it, I do this with food at times. I can be really enjoying a meal and tucking into it, then suddenly feel like if I eat another mouthfull I'm going to be sick. I don't actually feel nauseaus, just feel like I would choke and throw up.

Flora

Edited by Flora

Lucas said...I drink quickly in case the taste and texture changes.

My son drinks very quickly and seems to throw the drink into his mouth from the glass rather than through his lips,either that or he uses a straw.

He can drink a whole glass in seconds without seeming to pause for breath!

Edited by asereht

He can drink a whole glass in seconds without seeming to pause for breath!

I can do that with a bottle of Smirnoff Ice, but I feel a bit squiffy afterwards :wacko:

My ds isnt too bad with drinks but food he does it with-he crams it in like a half starved kid then 3/4 way thru will begin gagging n head for the loo n wont touch the rest cos it dont taste right. :huh:

Hi Bikemad

This sounds just like Z. I thought it was just her putting it on again to be centre of attention. :wallbash:

Maybe I'll be a little more understanding at meal times now :D

Zosmum

Hi Bikemad

This sounds just like Z. I thought it was just her putting it on again to be centre of attention. :wallbash:

Maybe I'll be a little more understanding at meal times now :D

Zosmum

I used to think it was just ds being awkward cos id not done his 'fav' meal but he has since been diagnosed with sensory avoidance disorder by the occupational therapist and she said that could cause him to be like it.

This happened to me today. Halfway through eating breakfast and started off liking the eggs then halfway through couldn't stand the texture of the yolk and felt sick.