Canopus

Obsolescent food

I was recently talking to some kids with AS about life in the 80s (and how they wouldn't have enjoyed it) and one of the topics was about how food was very different to that of today. About half the items found in a large supermarket weren't on sale in the 80s and there were many popular foods that are now no longer popular or out of production including:

Instant mashed potato. A very memorable TV ad but a less than impressive taste and texture. Does anybody still buy this?

Heinz Haunted House and Invaders pasta shapes in sauce. Once big sellers in the 80s. Now long discontinued.

Boil in the bag fish in sauce. Very popular in the early to mid 80s. Still available except for the mushroom sauce but rarely purchased nowadays. Allegedly has a poor image.

Various other boil in the bag foods. Successful in the days when microwaves were rare and expensive. Now superseded by microwave ready meals.

McCains Micro Chips. Late 80s (quite expensive) gimmick of chips you cook in a microwave. Surprisingly still exists with a very small but loyal following.

Mighty White bread. A big hit with kids in the 80s but now vanished from the bread shelves.

Small pizzas stacked like a tower in a bag. Mass market pizza of the 80s but now quite hard to find.

Sponge puddings in tins. Could the reason why spotted dick for the army became so popular in the civilian world in the 70s and 80s be because the nation really was preparing for war? Sales plummeted after the fall of the Berlin Wall but small quantities are still produced for times of disaster.

Angel Delight. Classic 70s desert now considered nostalgic. Still available and has a small following.

Microwave popcorn. There seemed to be a craze for this in the late 80s but can you still buy it?

Black Forest cake. I never understood the mentality why Black Forest cake was reserved as the must eat desert for very special occasions when mass produced versions were affordable for Sunday afternoon teatime.

Pies in tins. Tinned food was much more popular in the days before fridges and freezers were commonplace in every home. The uprising of frozen food has reduced sales of tinned food resulting in certain items being discontinued.

Salad cream. Once the only commercially produced salad dressing. Still available but largely superseded by better tasting salad dressings.

Findus Crispy Pancakes. Classic 80s frozen food. Now extinct.

International cooking sauce mixes. As the 80s progressed consumers increasingly turned their backs on traditional British food for something more cosmopolitan. Now no longer necessary as cosmopolitan food is sold everywhere.

Does anybody know of other once popular foods from the 70s and 80s that is out of production or has faded into obscurity?

i have had the findus pancakes recently.

Dont let me near microwave popcorn!!!!!! its the BEST "fire and forget" microwave incendiary device!!! Cook it for too long and the heat builds up in the middle of the bag and it eventually bursts into flames!!!!! Mild overcooking usually leads to a smoked out kitchen when you open the bag and the fresh air makes it smulder loads!!! :lol:

What is it with you boys and food/microwaves!!!!!! by the way, my kids LOVE angel delight, with sprinklies on the top! Enid

You can still get all those things on the list (mighty white might come under a different name though... something like best of both).

We often used to get the microwave popcorn but we recently had a batch where the 'butter' (or the awful chemical imitation they add) had 'gone off' and my microwave is now unuseable because I can't get rid of the smell.... not that I used it much anyway... only for the popcorn !

I used to love that boil in the bag fish but the mere thought of it now makes me feel ill.

I wonder how many of you out there who had their youth in the 80's ever remembers rolling in from the pub with the munchies and eating primula cheese straight out of the tube because you'd run out of bread? :o:sick:

Flora

Instant mashed potato is still the only form of the spud that B will eat, several times a week.

Daughter has a tin a week of alphabetti spaghetti, or the new one numberetti spaghetti.

Do you remember the slogan for Mighty White bread "Mightier Than The Average White'?

I used to work in a community school in the 80s, 100% Asian in a very poor area. This was the slogan that the weight-lifting group chose for their T shirt, and no one argued. :lol:

The main thing that I remember about food from the 1970s was how very bright and dayglo the colours were, almost fluorescent. And how things never seemed to go off, because of the huge amounts of preservatives.

Dehydrated food, especially soups, where the peas never really rehydrated and felt like chewing gravel, which my mother always insisted was just as delicious as real vegetables.

Can I also mention that being a vegetarian in the 70s and 80s was why I ate a lot of ethnic food, otherwise the choices were cheese sandwich or a cheese omelette.

Remember thon 'Twist n Squeeze' juices? There was a HUUUUUUGE craze for them in the 90's- horrid, horrid 'juice' packed full of colourings, preservatives, flavourings- there was more chemicals in them than water.....well, they were a 70's creation too, only you could only get orange flavour, the bottle was opaque and the cap/lid/twisty bit was separate and coloured orange! I know this, because my Mum was given a case of it from someone and as we were brought up to eat/drink wot we wuz givven, we did. It tasted okay to 4 year old me, though when I tried it as a teen, it was rancid.

Not one of the original 70s bottles, the new version, I mean.

Cuz I just know SOMEONE would pick up on that and run with it....(Baaaadaaaad????......) :P

I ADORE instant potato! The sheer artificial-ness of it is delightful! MMMMmmmm.....darn, now I WANT some.......

Also, A**A do the tower o' frozen pizzas, they're the only kind my two will eat- no real cheese you see. Quite why they can't stomach cheese remains a mystery to me......

Well, unless its that mould-ridden muck-muck, I can QUITE understand their reaction where stilton is concerned, ack, ack!!

Now, who can tell me what happened to Pyramint chocolate? It was exactly what it said on the wrapper- a choc pyramid full of minty fondant, and omigosh, they were delish!! But sadly, discntinued....

Gone From Our Stomachs, But Not Forgotten!

And what about Gino Ginelli, #Ice-cream-a, Piazz-a, Itali-a#??? It was yummy, but again, it faded away......

The most recent demise to irk me is that of the Spira bar.....

CADBURY, YOU FOOL!!!!

That was the only piece of chocolate that you could suck a mug of almost hot tea through, then chomp happily on a tube of choc that was still firm on the outside but comfortingly, satisfyingly liquid and gooey and velvety on its innards!!!!!

Bring it BAAAAAAACK!!!!!!! :crying:

Edited by pookie170

What is it with you boys and food/microwaves!!!!!! by the way, my kids LOVE angel delight, with sprinklies on the top! Enid

dont know but the fascination is enough to spark a dedicated time slot in Brainiac: science abuse where they work out different ways of blowing up microwaves :thumbs:

Ooh I love nostalgia threads!

S used to love those fake pizzas, ate several a week .... and she turned out all right ... :unsure:

Can you still buy the mini frozen beefburgers complete with cute little buns? (quiet at the back)

I once built a whole birthday party round those.

Can you still buy Wham! bars or did enough fillings get pulled out to have them taken off the shelves? :unsure:

Scary thing is, I'm sure I've seen the majority of those things in my mother's house :o

Can you still buy Wham! bars or did enough fillings get pulled out to have them taken off the shelves? :unsure:

Scary thing is, I'm sure I've seen the majority of those things in my mother's house :o

You can still get Wham! bars I had one the other day. :lol:

Tinned food was much more popular in the days before fridges and freezers were commonplace in every home. The uprising of frozen food has reduced sales of tinned food resulting in certain items being discontinued.

Young man, I'll have you know most people had fridges in the 70s, and fridges and freezers in the 80s!! :lol: You need to go back to the 50s and 60s for fridges to be not commonplace!

Tut! :shame::lol: You'll be asking us next if we had electricity or enough to eat, as one of my littlies once asked me 'back in the olden days when you were young'!!

Boho :dance:

Tinned food hoards better than frozen, my grandparents had a year's supply of almost everything in their cellar.

Young man, I'll have you know most people had fridges in the 70s, and fridges and freezers in the 80s!! :lol: You need to go back to the 50s and 60s for fridges to be not commonplace!

Tut! :shame::lol: You'll be asking us next if we had electricity or enough to eat, as one of my littlies once asked me 'back in the olden days when you were young'!!

I was thinking that bid :lol:

Although on the question of electricity, a friend of my ex husband who is OUR age once told me that he his parents didn't get electricity until he was 15. Mind you, he grew up on a sheep farm in the welsh valleys so perhaps that explains it :lol:

Instant mashed potato. A very memorable TV ad but a less than impressive taste and texture. Does anybody still buy this?

I keep a tin of this about for emergencies :o (though not 'that' brand, which contains milk proteins, I think)... it's a useful thickener for home made soups too, if cornflour is a tad too much... Frozen mash is just lazy - instant mash is a legititmate 'back up plan' :)

Boil in the bag fish in sauce. Very popular in the early to mid 80s. Still available except for the mushroom sauce but rarely purchased nowadays. Allegedly has a poor image.

I really liked the 'cod in butter sauce' as a kid/teen - and the portions were small enough to not set off my fish intolerance! Actually, It wasn't the fish I liked, but mixing the sauce into my mash! :)

Small pizzas stacked like a tower in a bag. Mass market pizza of the 80s but now quite hard to find.

The other biggy was 'french bread pizza's' - the pizza equiv of a vesta curry (i.e. not much like a pizza, but nice in their own way!) > NB why has the vesta curry been overlooked? A Classic, no less, to rival a certain brand of frozen chicken pies which were topped with the best mass produced frozen shortcrust EVER (like a biscuit floating on gravy and peas!).

Other overlooked classic's in this thread - "Luxury trifle" - came in a packet with paraffin flavoured jelly (see earlier nostalgia threads) 100's and 1000's and a topping that was just 'dreamy' ... on special occassions mum would float a swiss roll in the jelly...

Vienna-themed ice-cream (basically a giant broken choc ice in a box) 'Ooooooooooh'

Tinned cream (you can still buy it, and it's the best for going on Mince pies if you're lucky enough to still be able to eat mince pies without getting heartburn) - half the fun was in shaking the tin to whip it - whip it good!

Cheese cake mix - from the people who bought your packet lemon meringue pie mix! Both still available :) (NB - the LMP mix filling is GF/DF, so I've made ben this with GF digestives for the base!)

Sponge puddings in tins. Could the reason why spotted dick for the army became so popular in the civilian world in the 70s and 80s be because the nation really was preparing for war? Sales plummeted after the fall of the Berlin Wall but small quantities are still produced for times of disaster.

Ahhh.... new health and safety regs saw the demise of this... I suffered personally from blistered feet after reading the cooking instructions: "Pierce can and stand in boiling water"... (there you go, a genuine eighties joke - another golden classic!)

Black Forest cake. I never understood the mentality why Black Forest cake was reserved as the must eat desert for very special occasions when mass produced versions were affordable for Sunday afternoon teatime.

A similar scenario to a certain after dinner mint: cost less than a quid, but everyone thought them the height of sophistication when served with instant coffee after christmas dinner... the whole 'ambassador, you are spoiling us' advertising campaign evolved from the same thinking, but sadly made a laughing stock of what should have been the A8's natural successor. Now people think that shell shaped remoulds of left over white/dark chocolate are the bee's knees and the dogs doobreys - which just goes to show ya :)

Pies in tins.

For some reason these were always included in Christmas Hampers your mum bought from the catalogue... we never quite worked out who would want a tinned pie as part of their Christmas fare, but by about February it would be pressed into service as a weekday dinner... A certain brand of tinned steak and kidney pudding (rhymes with "hobblin'" if you're a Frank Zappa fan) also featured heavily in hampers - but to be honest I quite liked those! I think it was all the MSG - they fizzed when you ate them!

Salad cream. Once the only commercially produced salad dressing. Still available but largely superseded by better tasting salad dressings.

Actually planned to be discontinued a few years ago but public outcry saw it reinstated... Nice on chips (try it ;)

International cooking sauce mixes. As the 80s progressed consumers increasingly turned their backs on traditional British food for something more cosmopolitan. Now no longer necessary as cosmopolitan food is sold everywhere.

Ahhhh.... Coq Au Vin.... Inspired a thousand dinner parties and a million bad jokes ;) Fanny Craddocks signature dish. Did your doughnut's come out looking just like fanny's? Mine did :)

Of course - no dinner party was complete without wine. "Blue or Black?" : We were spoilt for choice!

T'other day Ben and i were in our local supermarket and spotted a HALF bottle of Mateus Rose :o:o:wub:

I 'lol-led', and when Ben asked why explained about the eighties, libfraumilch and Mateus Rose... He forced me to buy it so he could try some :) :)

Sadly, the bokkle is too small to make into an electric table-lamp, but i am going to find a candle that'll fit and make a 'dripping-with-wax-taverna- table-lantern. OH JOY!!!

NB - for those sophisticates among you - Marshmallow and Rose Wine ice-cream is very naice... make sure you have a bowl of warm water handy and dip your scissors regularly, though, otherwise the marshmallows are impossible to chop up!

Bl00dy nostalgia threads - they're worse than ikkle babies for time -wasting! :rolleyes::lol:

:D

Although on the question of electricity, a friend of my ex husband who is OUR age once told me that he his parents didn't get electricity until he was 15. Mind you, he grew up on a sheep farm in the welsh valleys so perhaps that explains it :lol:

A Welshman growing up on a sheep farm? I'd have thought he got plenty!

What? Well they'd have to have plenty of electricity for the shearing, wouldn't they?

What? What?

Your mind love - nowt to do with me.... :shame:

Oooh, ooh...sandwich spread! I remember when that came out, and my granny would buy it as a treat when we had tea at her house.

And :sick::sick: 'toast toppers' in lickle tins that looked like cat sick!! A delicacy only for grown ups in our house (I was glad!).

Walnut whips: another exotica only for grown ups at easter instead of an egg!

Vienetta: Christmas or birthdays only.

The tin of ham always found in the Christmas hamper from the milkman.

AND I remember my brother's fiancee introducing us to the continental delights of QUICHE at their engagement partay...although my mama had been making 'egg and bacon tart' for years! :lol:

Edited by bid

I keep a tin of this about for emergencies :o (though not 'that' brand, which contains milk proteins, I think)... it's a useful thickener for home made soups too, if cornflour is a tad too much... Frozen mash is just lazy - instant mash is a legititmate 'back up plan' :)

Instant mashed potato is still on sale in 25kg sacks for manufacturers of waffles and other shaped potato products.

The other biggy was 'french bread pizza's' - the pizza equiv of a vesta curry (i.e. not much like a pizza, but nice in their own way!) > NB why has the vesta curry been overlooked? A Classic, no less, to rival a certain brand of frozen chicken pies which were topped with the best mass produced frozen shortcrust EVER (like a biscuit floating on gravy and peas!).

I forgot the Vesta curry. Classic boil in the bag fare from the 1970s that was less authentic than a Balti. I remember being the only kid in my class at primary school to have ever eaten curry in the early 80s and it was real stuff rather than Vesta.

Ahhh.... new health and safety regs saw the demise of this... I suffered personally from blistered feet after reading the cooking instructions: "Pierce can and stand in boiling water"... (there you go, a genuine eighties joke - another golden classic!)

There were plenty of prats like my father who put the tin directly on a gas burner! The puddings are now microwaveable.

Ahhhh.... Coq Au Vin.... Inspired a thousand dinner parties and a million bad jokes ;) Fanny Craddocks signature dish. Did your doughnut's come out looking just like fanny's? Mine did :)

There was one sauce collection called Cooking with Culture that enjoyed a brief period of popularity until everyone realised how awful it tasted.

Bl00dy nostalgia threads - they're worse than ikkle babies for time -wasting! :rolleyes::lol:

This is not nostalgia. We ended up talking about business and why certain things failed.

This is not nostalgia. We ended up talking about business and why certain things failed.

Sadly, I think the intent of this thread has been undermined by some of our more 'impressionable' members. Stop it, you lot, this is serious stuff :shame::whistle:

Did vesta go frozen? They were originally dehydrated and you added water and boiled. The main ingredients were sultanas and meat that looked suspiciously 'soya' like.

I remember seeing pizza advertised on TV for the first time and thinking it looked delicious and begging my mum to buy one. It was awful. How can you make the basic ingredients of pizza taste awful? I don't know either - but they did!

We used to buy something from the milkman called a 'Chocolate Mickey' (we used to snigger at that - I'm sure you'll be able to work out why ;) which was a chocolate milkshape made with evaporated milk... they were yummy!

the ice-Cream man used to sell Lord Toffingham's, which were milk lollies with a caramel centre... they were delicious...

You could also buy 'count dracula' lollies which were black (cola flavoured?) and had a blood red centre of 'jelly' in the middle. We used to nibble all the ice off, then dangle the blood red jelly from our mouths like a lolling tongue and do impressions of Fleagle from the banana splits show (tr la la, la la la la...)

Sometimes, when you brought a pound of broken biscuits, they would have lemon puffs and 'thins' in... it was like Christmas coming early :) Mostly though it was just digestives, lincoln and rich tea :( good dunkers to a man, but not much in the flavour stakes :(

The first issue of 'Cor!' had a packet of instant orange juice powder on the front which cost more than the comic! Cor!

Whizzer and Chips had a flipbook comic of Sid The Snake... How could the Dandy compete with that?

Sorry... digressing again. It was a big kid made me do it, he's standing here now but i typed this when he wasn't looking. honest injun!

Majestic wafers...

You could get a powdered orange drink, the advert was a cheery couple over breakfast and his delight as she produced the mixed-with-water end result...what was it called now?

Oooh, and when fresh orange juice first appeared it came in large, glass bottles that had a sort of dimpled texture to the glass and were the same thickness all the way to the screw top..

Wot abaht Vesta crispy noodles?? Yum-bluming-yum and the height of culinary sophistication (again, Vesta meals strictly for grown ups as a treat in our house) :lol:

Oooh, lemon puffs! Are they still made?

Edited by bid

We still have tons of these in the forces!!!

As well as instant mash, powdered egg and angel delight!! Angel delight was known with the nick name of "ballerina sh*t"

we had tinned steak and kidney puddings which they called "babys heads" and that seriously freaked me the first time someone said "its babys heads for dinner" :huh:

hi can any off you remember mint kracknell (not sure if this is the right spelling :unsure: ) it was a a realy good chocy bar (or am i showing my age :P )

theresa

Did vesta go frozen? They were originally dehydrated and you added water and boiled. The main ingredients were sultanas and meat that looked suspiciously 'soya' like.

You could get both the dehydrated and frozen curry. I think the frozen curry came later because the dehydrated curry was so revolting.

Talking of dehydrated stuff, back in the 80s there was the Pot Noodle collection with numerous varieties that are no longer on sale. All disgusting.

You could get a powdered orange drink, the advert was a cheery couple over breakfast and his delight as she produced the mixed-with-water end result...what was it called now?

It might have been Kool Aid that is still on sale in the US.

Oooh, and when fresh orange juice first appeared it came in large, glass bottles that had a sort of dimpled texture to the glass and were the same thickness all the way to the screw top..

Fresh orange juice was also available in small 200ml glass bottles with foil caps. My residential school had them and they were returned for refilling when empty.

Hmm....no recollection of mint cracknel, but I do recall yummy peanut cracknel!!

Mind when milk got delivered to your doorstep, in glass bottles? I used to lurve supping the cream off the top, unless the birds had got there first.....

The gross thing is that we still drank the milk the birds had dipped their beaks in, urgh! Still, most of it went in tea, so the hot liquid probably sanitised it somewhat... (please don't correct me here, it may well be wishful thinking but I don't care, it makes me feel better!!!) :P

Do you remember Chelsea Whoppers- didn't like them myself but they were awfy popular!!

And I mind when my Mum bought what I can only call an egg slicer- you stuck a hard boiled egg in it, pulled down the top half and the multi-cheesewired bit would slice your egg perfectly!! It fascinated me, and I tried slicing so many things with it. (You could also play it like a harp, oh joy!!!) I think it met an early end when I tested a potato with it-it might've worked had it only been cooked!!

Know what I remember us ALWAYS getting in Xmas hampers? Pickled MUSHROOMS!!!

What on earth??? Who eats those? Every year, without fail, it arrived swaddled in shredded paper, and it sat for 11 months, cultivating a rind of dust until the school requested non-perishable items to create hampers for local OAPs......

Thing is, many of the mums bought the same hamper as us, so there would be a sudden, relieved flux of despicable vinegary funghi.......

I bet some poor old fella had nothing but pickled mushrooms for xmas dinner!!! :sick:

All of the foods mentioned in Canopus's first post are still available and commonly eaten. The only exceptions are the pasta shapes (although there are still many varieties of pasta shapes still available), and the Mighty White bread.

We still have tons of these in the forces!!!

As well as instant mash, powdered egg and angel delight!! Angel delight was known with the nick name of "ballerina sh*t"

we had tinned steak and kidney puddings which they called "babys heads" and that seriously freaked me the first time someone said "its babys heads for dinner" :huh:

Do you get Haywards Military Pickle in the forces? I used to love the stuff but it hasn't been available in the civilian world for over 10 years.

Mrs Peek's Christmas puddings are now back in production.

I was recently talking to some kids with AS about life in the 80s (and how they wouldn't have enjoyed it) and one of the topics was about how food was very different to that of today. About half the items found in a large supermarket weren't on sale in the 80s and there were many popular foods that are now no longer popular or out of production including:

Heinz Haunted House and Invaders pasta shapes in sauce. Once big sellers in the 80s. Now long discontinued.

Various other boil in the bag foods. Successful in the days when microwaves were rare and expensive. Now superseded by microwave ready meals.

McCains Micro Chips. Late 80s (quite expensive) gimmick of chips you cook in a microwave. Surprisingly still exists with a very small but loyal following.

Mighty White bread. A big hit with kids in the 80s but now vanished from the bread shelves.

Angel Delight. Classic 70s desert now considered nostalgic. Still available and has a small following.

Microwave popcorn. There seemed to be a craze for this in the late 80s but can you still buy it?

Pies in tins. Tinned food was much more popular in the days before fridges and freezers were commonplace in every home. The uprising of frozen food has reduced sales of tinned food resulting in certain items being discontinued.

Findus Crispy Pancakes. Classic 80s frozen food. Now extinct.

Does anybody know of other once popular foods from the 70s and 80s that is out of production or has faded into obscurity?

T loves instant mash (he used to eat the granules straight out of the tin!). I don't like the new version - reminds me of wallpaper paste mix.

We all like cod in butter sauce.

I love salad cream, and we all like microwave popcorn and angel delight.

Anyone remember pickled onion flavour corn snacks - called Space Invaders or similar - they were disgusting!

And roasted hedgehog flavour crisps?

My Nan had a boiled egg slicer, pookie. We used to play it like a harp too - lol! We were so easily entertained!

I've still got a runner bean slicer - but it never works very well.

I've just remembered one, and I'm not sure if you can still buy it or not. Dried milk! Can't remember the name of it. It was something that people had when shops used to shut at 5pm and all day Sunday in case you ran out of milk, you could add it straight to coffee or mix it with water to make 'milk'. I used to love it and would eat it dry off a spoon. :sick:

Flo'

I've just remembered one, and I'm not sure if you can still buy it or not. Dried milk! Can't remember the name of it. It was something that people had when shops used to shut at 5pm and all day Sunday in case you ran out of milk, you could add it straight to coffee or mix it with water to make 'milk'. I used to love it and would eat it dry off a spoon. :sick:

Flo'

There were a couple of options, one was 'Marvelous' (less fat too!) and the other one was called 5 pints because it made 5 pints when reconstituted...

I'm sure you can still get powdered milk, but the one I used to eat off a spoon was coffee whitener (and I think they've now worked out it's addictive or something?)...

I stuck to my guns for as long as i could having a proper milkman, but in the end the service was so unreliable (he used to 'double up' every other day, but in the end wouldn't show up on the third day :wacko: ) I did the same as everyone else and switched to a supermarket :( A sad day when we lost milkman... a big social 'safety net' for the elderly went out the window, and recyclable glass bottles morphed into land-fills of plastic. Small changes, big impact...

:(

Does anyone remember electric blue jelly or is that a pigment of my imagination? :eat:

Yes, I do, it had pride of place on the table at my 7th birthday party! It was made by Rowntree, I think, and was called 'Boogaloo Blue' and it was utterly awesome!!! Yum......

I bet if I tried it now, it'd be gantin'!

If memory serves, there was an equally garish red version, maybe yellow too....ooh, the additives and preservatives and mind-blowing colours that we consumed by the bowlful back then!!

T loves instant mash (he used to eat the granules straight out of the tin!). I don't like the new version - reminds me of wallpaper paste mix.

We all like cod in butter sauce.

I love salad cream, and we all like microwave popcorn and angel delight.

Anyone remember pickled onion flavour corn snacks - called Space Invaders or similar - they were disgusting!

And roasted hedgehog flavour crisps?

My Nan had a boiled egg slicer, pookie. We used to play it like a harp too - lol! We were so easily entertained!

I've still got a runner bean slicer - but it never works very well.

A runner bean slicer? Do they need slicing??? :wacko: Heehee!

Space invaders are still on the go, in beef flavour too-and they're still terrible!

And I also recall the hedgehog crisps-didn't they have a spider version at one point too?

Don't know if this was just for us Scots, but there was also a limited edition run of Irn-Bru flavour crisps-Tudor, I think- and euch! They were awful!

Their pickled onion ones, now, were the best I've ever eaten, and we liked to pep them up a bit by sprinkling vinegar over them!!! No wonder I get so much indigestion these days! I eroded my stomach lining years ago!!

We used the milkman for ages, then I moved areas and was leaving for work about 7.30 before he arrived.

It was a tough area, so the milk was either nicked or smashed when I got home. Supermarket it is, we still get through 4 or 5 pints a day, and we recycle the containers.

I remember the Parus caeruleus (blue ######) stealing the cream when I was a child, and that we drank the milk afterwards! Probably gave me the amazing immune system I have.

Edited by Bard

We used the milkman for ages, then I moved areas and was leaving for work about 7.30 before he arrived.

It was a tough area, so the milk was either nicked or smashed when I got home...

I remember the Parus caeruleus (blue ######) stealing the cream when I was a child, and that we drank the milk afterwards! Probably gave me the amazing immune system I have.

So you went from one lot of t!ts stealing your milk to another... ho hum...

We recycle the containers too (and as a somewhat ironic aside the little one pint one's make good t!t feeders too - you just cut a piece out of the side, fill them with nuts, and hang 'em in a tree with a loop of string through the lid. You can re-fill and re-hang 'em by unscrewing the lids - learnt that from Bill Oddie, Suze :banman:;) ), but it's nowhere near as straightforward as the old glass ones, is it? :(

Crisps: I remember taking back a packet of 'salt and shake' because mine had no salt in. The shopkeeper emptied them onto the counter and rifled through them until he found the blue bag in the curl of a big 'un, then he scooped the whole lot back in to the bag and gave them back to me... Don't think they'd get away with that these days, but back in the days of broken biscuits, cracked eggs and single cigarettes it was no biggy :lol: