Canopus

Obsolescent food

If memory serves, there was an equally garish red version, maybe yellow too....ooh, the additives and preservatives and mind-blowing colours that we consumed by the bowlful back then!!

Oh yes, and a green one too, but is was electric blue that was my favourite - probably highest in artificial whatnots :wacko::hypno:

A runner bean slicer? Do they need slicing??? :wacko: Heehee!

Being someone who doesn't appear to notice 'moving-on' and change in the same way, I remember my Mum having one of these when I was very little (it was (and I feel slightly guilty saying this now :unsure:) a fantastic torture devise to use on my brother - "it's a magic trick - put your finger in there and I'll make it disappear...." :oops: - I got severely chastised for that one :fight:) and then tried asking the teacher for one when we did cookery at school - she gave me 'the look'...

Not food, but does anyone remember those slicer things - you took a carrot or whatever you wanted to slice thinly and moved it up and down this board over two incredibally sharp blades - you were lucky if you didn't end up with fewer fingers and carrots in 'red sauce'.

Don't think they'd get away with that these days, but back in the days of broken biscuits, cracked eggs and single cigarettes it was no biggy :lol:

I remember when once a month we had a treat where my Mum wold buy a box of assorted 'broken biscuits' - used to think that was the height of sophistication :shame: although it was always fun trying to find the 'wholest' biscuit - cor, I lived a dull life - Just call me Miss Dullard :lol: :lol:

Not food, but does anyone remember those slicer things - you took a carrot or whatever you wanted to slice thinly and moved it up and down this board over two incredibally sharp blades - you were lucky if you didn't end up with fewer fingers and carrots in 'red sauce'.

I remember them. So does 'stumpy' my brother - he ended up slicing carrots and took the end of his finger off. Worst thing is, we never did find the end of his finger (but we still had the carrots :sick:)(there's responsible parenting for you)

I remember them. So does 'stumpy' my brother - he ended up slicing carrots and took the end of his finger off. Worst thing is, we never did find the end of his finger (but we still had the carrots :sick:)(there's responsible parenting for you)

Added protein - very important in a carrot diet :eat:

You can still get powdered milk. You would have to be mad to reconstitute it and use it for drinking, cos it tastes revolting. But you can use it in cooking to add creaminess.

I was horrified when they brought back spam fritters. I didn't think anyone liked them at school lunches in the 70's so why bring them back in the supermarket.

I was horrified when they brought back spam fritters. I didn't think anyone liked them at school lunches in the 70's so why bring them back in the supermarket.

I'm horrified too - not at the 'bringing back' bit, but at the idea that people would actually buy a battered bit of spam because they couldn't be bothered to beat an egg and some milk and flour together and slice the spam! :wacko:

My usual pancake day rant! Batter IS a convenience food - it can't possibly be made more convenient by buying dubious ingredients and additives in a bottle/powder/frozen mix :angry:

:D

:sick::sick::sick:

Battered Spam...hideous flashback to Boarding School in the 70s.

The absolute nadir of culinary experience.

And now for something truly revolting ... does anybody remember eating a Kromesky at school? No, not a textbook. It was a raw sausage with a piece of fatty bacon wrapped around it, which was then dipped in batter and deep fried. The only crispy bit, if you were lucky, was the batter. Mm-mm, not. Sorry, I need to go now, I feel somewhat nauseous at the thought of a Kromesky. :sick: Hey, I got the right icon!

Apologies to anyone who was eating as they read this. And remember to clean the crumbs out of your keyboard.

Billabong

Ah, now all latter day vegetarian considerations put to one side I'd have thought Spam would have been high on your list of favourite meat products when you were a practicing omnivore... 'Tis after all the thinking man's (or woman's) luncheon meat of choice... wasn't it Rene Descarte who said 'I'm pink therefore I'm spam?'

:D

Only sort of spam I can cope with.

Horrible, horrible stuff, I'd rather eat 'pemmican, shoe leather, or one's companions'

My residential school might have been a very unpleasant place but it had the decency not to serve Spam.

My residential school might have been a very unpleasant place but it had the decency not to serve Spam.

Bet it wasn't run by nuns then, unlike mine. Due to the 'food' I weighed 6 stone 2lb when I left.

Edited by Bard

I do actually recall,as a very weeny 4 and a half year old, receiving my lunch tray at school. I scoffed the lot, then grasped my bowl and, having vaguely heard of that great childhood grail known as 'seconds', sidled up to the serving hatch and proffered the empty vessel at the hairy-chinned though kindly, snood bedecked dinner lady. (is that even PC any more?)

My wobbly toothed grin, put forth with just the right mixture of doe-eyed charm and humbleness (I hoped!) swiftly fell away as a row of pinnys spun as one to face me, and several ladles clanged ringingly to the floor.....

The wife looked close to a cardiac episode.....

'You want...did you actually ask for...MORE OXTAIL SOUP??!!???'

I was a total freak from the very start! Everyone else called it poo soup, but I thought it was delish!!!

There is no accounting for taste.....but spam?? There ARE limits!!

).

We often used to get the microwave popcorn but we recently had a batch where the 'butter' (or the awful chemical imitation they add) had 'gone off' and my microwave is now unuseable because I can't get rid of the smell.... not that I used it much anyway... only for the popcorn !

Flora

Cut a lemon in half and place it oin a bowl of water and heat the steam will clean the microwave ( if it is dirty) and the lemon makes it smell lovely :D

I went to school with Matthew Simpson one of the sons of Simpsons Ready Foods, which was already on hard times in the 1990s.  The company made times per under the Goblin brand.  By the 90s a major remaining customer was the army.