Sign in to follow this  
Flora

gaaah

I've spent all week decorating the living room, new curtains, rug, everything (and it looks gorgeous :)). Tonight I nipped out for takeaway pizzas for everyone. Called Bill down to have his and he headed off to eat it in the living room :shame: I had already explained the new (or rather firmly reinstated) house rule of no eating in the living room. He didn't want to eat it in the kitchen because me, my mum, dd and Ben were eating in there (and why on earth would he want to be in the same room as, let alone eat with, the rest of his family?? :hypno: ), and nor did he want to eat it in his bedroom because he doesn't want to get crumbs in there (oh the irony :o ). He was furious!!! He said 'I didn't think it meant me' :o

I sat down with him and explained that it means everyone! He said 'well you can't stop me' :angry: Er, I've got news matey boy, I'm more stubborn that you are!!! Exit Bill storming up to bedroom and slamming door.

Well we all ate our pizza and adjourned to the lovely living room. I popped up to Bill and told him that the dining room was now empty if he wanted to come down and eat... to which he replies 'I don't give a double flying fudge' (the euphemism is his btw, not a forum nicety)

I went back down to watch Tom and Jerry and the next thing I knew I heard the front door slam shut. Looked out to see him walking ever so slowly up the street. So I shouted down to him... 'well I'm not coming after you so you're on your own'.

I sat in the chair fidgeting for about 5 minutes and noticed how dark it was and had visions of him being accosted by chavs so eventually drove round the village and found him in the park.

He's home now and has had a melatonin but is refusing to eat the pizza.

It'll be interesting to see if it's still untouched by morning time... I'm sure he won't be able to resist it :lol:

Don't you just love teenagers? :wub: (in case it doesn't come accross... the 'wub' emoticon was ALL sarcasm!)

Flo' :)

hi flora

well done with the deco -it sounds really nice

my son digs his heels in too when he picks up on the fact im adament over something....ha which is just about everything at the moment..........hes only 7....lol

i try and do meals round the kitchen table but he also either messes about /laughing/or starts manipulating my other son to the point where no one can eat-then i have to seperate them -my son dont mind being sent to his bedroom sometimes to eat cause he says we all make to much noise-particully if im washing the pots :whistle:

you must of been worried when he went out the door-my son has worked out how keys go in door now-before hadnt a clue

so when i lock up i now hide m y house keys-well to where i know where they are.........otherwise i worry.

i bet he will finish it off in the morning :thumbs:

>:D<<'> >:D<

rq

Oh Flora, am still laughing!! my 19yr old NT, also would not dream of eating with us mere mortals, has not done so since he was 16, he also eats in the living room, which soo annoys me but have learnt to live with as needs decorating! scary when they go off out on their own though isnt it. Hope he calms down an eats! >:D<<'> Enid

This could be reactive behaviour to stress or worry to the impending School return, maybe he needs a bit of you and him time together, when J is at his most oppositional or defiant its when he has something on his mind, or wants to express something he cant understand himself.

I would say that there is a deeper issue here, and he is looking for a trigger so he can open up to you.

JsMum

I thought I would post an update on this (it occurred to me when I was typing something else this morning that this might be a good idea).

If anyone is in any doubt about whether they should be imposing boundaries and not giving in to challenging behaviour then this might help convince them. After the episode described in the start of this thread.... Bill has now become the self appointed 'living room food policeman', making sure that nobody at all eats in there. Quite a turn around from someone who 'left home' over the issue! :D

Flora