rainbow queen

melatonin

i know this should be in the meds section -but thought it would get looked at more here

my son whos 7 has had melatonin now for a few months-we go back to see camhs in sept for review about this

do you think they will bring him off it?

i dont think i can cope if they take it away-id hate to go back to how we was-its bad as it is-but it helps at night-and he gets a better sleep.

im sure it helps him next day too-as when the times ive tryed him without it-he went back to being unco-operative in the mornings again ect ect and playing up worse.

just wondered if theres a time limit about usage.

before it got perscibed i was at me wits end .........and it was making me ill as well........i just wouldnt like to go back to it all again.

many thanks

rq

hi rq

sorry i dont know anything about meds but im sure someone on the forum will be able to help you with this,hopefully when you go back to camhs in sept they will see how much more settle ds is hope it gos well

theresa

Melatonin is safe to use, there should be no reason to stopping melatonin if it is working, with J he has respites to give his body a rest and to stop building up a tolerance, we have had repeat perscriptions for nearly a year now, some are on melatonin for years.

If there is benefits I cant see why they would stop it.

JsMum

We've had it for quite a few years now. When it was first prescribed it was stopped after about 6 months, we were told it was only a short term measure to try and sort ds#1's sleep patterns out, or so so we had a time without it. When we mentioned the problems we were having with sleep we were told there was new research now that said it was ok for longer term use so we were given it again.

I try to keep to the lowest dose we can (so we have somewhere to go in future years) but it's just been upped to between 4 and 7mg (we're sticking at 4 for now) for my son who's 8.

It seems professionals are more knowledgeable now than when we were first prescribed melatonin.

Just to add- ours was stopped very suddenly without warning and wasn't a fun time so I can sympathise with your feelings of dread! In our case we went without for approx 6 months and he started going to sleep later and later and we were back to square one.

Edited by jlp

In America melatonin is sold in health food stores. It is sold with all the vitamin supplements etc. Im not sure why it can be sold over there without regulation but over here is only available on prescription. You can also buy it on line (from perfectly legitimate sites) very easily.

As JsMum says the body it is sometimes a good idea to give it a break for a few days because the body sometimes builds up a tolerance to it.

There is no reason why you can't take Melatonin long term. Some people find that they build up a resistance to it and need to take higher and higher doses. I Find this happens to me, so I only use it when I have to work. Occasionally I have to work 10 consecutive shifts and I find I need to take higher doses after the first week.

It can be sold without prescription in the USA, and it is not illegal to import it for your own personal use. If you have to pay for your prescriptions, this may be a cheaper way of getting it.