Canopus

Computer hacker with AS awaits extradition to the US

A British computer expert accused of hacking into American military systems was in a "distraught" state as he awaited extradition to the US, his family and friends said.

Gary McKinnon, 42, who claimed he was looking for UFO files, has lost a string of legal battles against his extradition, culminating in a failed last-ditch appeal at the European Court of Human Rights last month.

His parents and girlfriend joined supporters in London for a demonstration outside the Home Office, calling on the Government to prevent him from being handed over to American authorities.

Mr McKinnon, an unemployed systems analyst from Wood Green, north London, admits accessing 97 US Navy, Army, Nasa and Pentagon computers, but he said he was motivated by curiosity and only got in because of lax security.

The US government said he stole passwords and deleted files. Glasgow-born Mr McKinnon faces up to 70 years in prison if he is found guilty.

Lucy Clarke, who has been with Mr McKinnon for the last three and a half years, said: "He is a broken man - he is distraught and very scared. All we can do is wait. The whole family has been living in terror."

Miss Clarke, 37, who works as a secretary, said she hoped the action would raise public awareness of his plight and highlight the "one-sided" nature of the extradition treaty.

Demonstrators wore T-shirts stating "Give Gary McKinnon a Fair Trial", chanted and held up placards with messages such as "No Evidence Required, No Justice Required" and "UK Law for UK Citizens".

His father, Charlie McKinnon, travelled from his Glasgow home to support his son.

The 63-year-old scaffolder said: "I don't want him to go to America. There is no hope for him to face a fair trial there - they have made up their minds."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_McKinnon

Edited by Tally

Ive never understood the way internet crimes can work like this??? Surely he commited a crime in the UK not USA???? I dont understand how US law can be enforced on UK soil for crimes commited in the UK. Just doesnt make sense to me. So if thats the case me ripping up a US bank note over here could get me extradited to USA. Or some ramshackle crack pot country such as Zimbabwe could pass a law saying offensive stuff against thier president is illegal then extradite me for calling Mogabe an idiot??

I can understand he needs to be fully investigated and if needs bought to justice, but in the UK not USA.

In that case in Operation Ore when they caught all the paedophiles why wernt the ones accessing US websites extradited to USA??

just doesnt make sense to me the inconsistancy.

Ive never understood the way internet crimes can work like this??? Surely he commited a crime in the UK not USA???? I dont understand how US law can be enforced on UK soil for crimes commited in the UK. Just doesnt make sense to me. So if thats the case me ripping up a US bank note over here could get me extradited to USA. Or some ramshackle crack pot country such as Zimbabwe could pass a law saying offensive stuff against thier president is illegal then extradite me for calling Mogabe an idiot??

It has occurred to me that a British owner of a discussion forum could be extradited to the US for failing to switch on COPPA on their discussion forum. The COPPA legislation does not apply in the UK so many discussion forums which target a British audience have COPPA switched off. Unless the discussion forum specifically prohibits Americans under 13 years old from joining, then the owner risks breaking US law if they make their forum accessible to internet users in the US. The owner can't be prosecuted in a British court if they allow an American under 13 years old to join because they haven't broken any British laws, but theoretically they could be extradited to the US and tried in an American court.

A Judicial Review of the decision to extradite Gary McKinnon is due to be heard on 9 and 10 June 2009. This latest legal battle, and perhaps last chance in Gary's case, is approaching fast. To help stop Gary's extradition we will present a petition to 10 Downing Street.

http://www.autism.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly....895&a=18512

The petition link is available from the full article above.

I don't understand what the problem is. The very fact that he had to hack into the information should have suggested to him that it wasn't supposed to be available to him. He committed a crime. Having AS does not make you above the law.

I don't understand what the problem is. The very fact that he had to hack into the information should have suggested to him that it wasn't supposed to be available to him. He committed a crime. Having AS does not make you above the law.

UK Law for UK Citizens...

Edited by dr0ne

maybe due to AS find difficult to understand consequences of actions as this can be the case i not making excuses for him but this could be a real possiblity and myabe just immature and plain stupid made a huge whopper of a mistake he probably regrets it alot feels anxious depressed! but all areas of his AS difficulties need to closely looked into deeply! instead shoved to side! i not justifying breaking into to government's computer systems was right as it so isn't but prison is place for criminal maybe he didn't realise the seriousness of situation didn;t think it though properly oviously! probably didn't intend to do do this! i don't think you can forget the fact he suffers from AS which may explain some of the points neivity vulnerability etc i hope his family get supportive understanding for him prison isn't a place for someone with AS with loud noises, alright theyre can be bad evil people with any medical condition included AS but he doesn't need anxiety and stress of this life now! he got enough to deal with! but then also think how ever much AS you have you still think about what you done wrong myabe feels guilty!

i hope the right solution is found also punishment is probably he feels to himself at this very moment ashame ,ebarrassment ,hurt upset etc! i hope some decision is made in his best interest and well being is considered! his family don't deserve to suffer! he maybe just needs right help and support! like people who do serious crime and who are mentally/emotionally unwell they go to secure pysch hospitals which they recieve treatments and TLC! so why can't this be the same for someone with AS?! he needs compassion he could be Mentally unwell or anything?! you just don't know what the press hasn't told you!? left out of information just because AS is hidden means silence and less help and support within any system and service little time resources and money to help everyone i know that!

i hope havn't upset or offended anyone but my personal POV and opinion!?

take care

XKLX

anything could happen to him in jail he's more vulnerable and at risk basically more prone to situation arising i hope not for his sake does he need to pay like this? mya he had obsession about government computers and how they work but i suppose you could keep saying AS and maybe and still never get anywhere bit confused on how to feel i this one! i sort of stuck really to be honest! AS people can still have criminal in them so there's that point too! so much to think about take in with this situation here!

I just cannot believe that a person who has worked as a systems analyst lacks the mental capacity to know that hacking into government computers was illegal.

If he is viulnerable, this must be taken into account throughout his court case, sentencing, and if he goes to prison adjustments may also need to be made there. But I don't think he should get off scott free for comitting a criminal offence.

Absolutely. I have felt this all the way through this case and actually been quite annoyed that AS was being 'used' in the way and particularly that it was being picked up by quite eminent figures in AS research :(

UK Law for UK Citizens...

But he broke US law by hacking into US files? The terrorists who plotted/attacked America were subject to American law, those who attacked London subject to UK law, why is this any different - even thought he was on UK soil he still infringed US law/rights...

And anyway, if the argument is as above, it still doesn't bring in the need for AS to be mentioned at all, does it? :unsure:

This actually makes me so cross!

This is a 42 year old man, who has worked as a systems analyst and has a girlfriend...which would imply that he certainly has the cognitive ability to understand what he was doing was illegal.

Boho :(

seems to me the annoyances mentioned have been generated by the media. i don't read newspapers or watch national news...

i don't think at any point anyone's said he should be let off/done nothing wrong. point is, he shouldn't be extradited. obviously his legal help are hoping the AS dx will strengthen that point...

ongoing comments certainly keep this thread up top for easy access to the link provided though :whistle:

bid, that worked with computers + has girlfriend = clever boy equation is priceless :notworthy:

bid, that worked with computers + has girlfriend = clever boy equation is priceless :notworthy:

I can't tell whether you are being sarcastic...probably my AS.

My point is that it seems highly likely that if he has worked as a systems analyst and been able to sustain a relationship that he is not an adult with ASD and learning difficulties, neither is he a teenage lad. Which is not to say that someone with LDs can't have a girlfriend, but within this scenario his past job and a relationship imply a certain profile.

Ergo, he almost certainly has the cognitive ability to understand that what he was doing was illegal, and having AS should not be used as some kind of defence.

Bid

Edited by bid

Don't you think that the reason the U.S. Government want to prosecute this person is to try and cover up the fact that someone sat on the over side of the world can get into Government security systems and do what they like!!!

What we, the world community, need to think about is if someone commits a crime using the Internet, where is the crime actually being committed? Which end of the telephone line?

Hi all.My Ben age 10 has been following this story elsewhere.He said.

''This is so annoying he is just using autism to say that he has a disability to get away with it''.

Well said I say. :)

Edited by Karen A

Hi all.My Ben age 10 has been following this story elsewhere.He said.

''This is so annoying he is just using autism to say that he has a disability to get away with it''.

Well said I say. :)

Exactly...

And I think the 'defence' used here is part of a trend that almost infantalises those with AS.

Bid :)

seems to me the annoyances mentioned have been generated by the media. i don't read newspapers or watch national news...

Although I do read newspapers, I haven't actually come across anything about this particular story in the newspaper and have not been swayed by what might have been printed in the papers. I have formed my own opinion based on what I have read about this man on posts in autism forums, most of them supporting the view that his AS means he should not be trialled for his hacking.

I think it's pretty offensive to dismiss the views of anyone who disagrees with you and say they are irrelevant because they must have been influenced by the newspapers. It's possible that the views expressed in newspapers reflect those already held by the public. After all, if you read day after day things you disagreed with, you would stop buying the paper. People have the right to form opinions without being belittled.

ongoing comments certainly keep this thread up top for easy access to the link provided though

If you have to use techniques like this to prevent people from disagreeing with you, it suggests that your argument has no substance. No one is going to click on your link if they disagree with you, so it doesn't really make a difference where it is.

A person who has worked as a systems analyst would surely have a basic understanding of computer security and computer law, and understand that hacking into US government webspace is illegal. I know that people with AS have an uneven profile of abilities, but if he didn't know this was illegal he would never have been able to work as a systems analyst.

A person who has worked as a systems analyst would surely have a basic understanding of computer security and computer law, and understand that hacking into US government webspace is illegal. I know that people with AS have an uneven profile of abilities, but if he didn't know this was illegal he would never have been able to work as a systems analyst.

Ben has AS.He has a very uneven profile of abilities.He is very able in some areas including ICT.However he is certainly aware of what is right and what is wrong.

Ben actually gets into trouble in school most often because he has a very rigid belief in adherence to the rules.He is very cross when people do not behave in ways that are right and just.

I don't think that linking ASD with an inability to distinguish between right and wrong is that helpful.

Groups which support individuals with mental illness are interestingly currently attempting to reeducate the public and the media.They are attempting to increase awareness that not all people with mental health difficulties are dangerous.Karen.

Hi all.I am also interested that it appears that this individual was diagnosed with AS in 2008.He was originallythreatened with extradition in 2006.I may be cynical but wonder if there is a link between these two events. :rolleyes:

If he was so obsessed with computer hacking due to ASD how come it took two years in order to obtain a diagnosis.I know it can be difficult for adults to obtain a diagnosis but do wonder.Karen.

Edited by Karen A

I don't really have any strong views on this story, but I wondered whether someone with AS, although knowing that what they were doing was wrong, could have difficulty stopping themselves because it was part of their obsession. And if that was the case how do you balance the illegality of what they did against the obsessive side of their nature or diagnosis or mental illness.

Regarding extradicition. Don't the USA refuse to extradite any of their nationals to other countries? I'm not 100% sure on that, but I have a feeling i've read that somewhere.

I don't really have any strong views on this story, but I wondered whether someone with AS, although knowing that what they were doing was wrong, could have difficulty stopping themselves because it was part of their obsession. And if that was the case how do you balance the illegality of what they did against the obsessive side of their nature or diagnosis or mental illness.

Regarding extradicition. Don't the USA refuse to extradite any of their nationals to other countries? I'm not 100% sure on that, but I have a feeling i've read that somewhere.

Morning Sally. :)

I can understand your thinking.

My concern would be that a very similar argument has been used for individuals with mental illness.

Mental Health charities are now campaigning to raise awareness and reduce the stigma around mental illness as portrayed in the media.

The standard media portrayal of mental illness is that people who have mental illness are all dangerous because they are not responsible for their actions.

The media does not always do much better regarding ASD.

I don't want Ben to have a diagnosis that is associated in the media with criminal behaviour. :tearful:

Incidently the same argument could be used regarding the need to balance the illegality of what was done against the obsessive nature of the condition in relation to many activities that are regarded by society as unacceptable including paedophilia.Society still regards the action as unacceptable and subject to sanctions even where there is known to be a diagnosis of mental ilneess.That is why there are psychiatric secure units.

I think that to suggest that those with a diagnosis of AS are somehow unable to judge what is wrong or to learn to judge what is wrong would be a major concern for me.

It is exactly the generalisation that I find really frustrating in the media.Actually the media usually has two views of people with ASD.One is based on the view that all people with ASD are completely dependent on others and have significan learning difficulties.The other is that people with ASD are eccentric individuals who are all extremely gifted in one area.

Thankfully the media have not picked up on the idea that people with ASD are all criminals because they are not able to control the obsessive nature of their illness. :P Karen.

I think among everything else you have to consider the 'nature' of the crime and the subculture that surrounds it...

Computer hackers know exactly what they are doing, and until they get caught that is their primary reason for doing it. This guy was effectively sticking two fingers up for exactly the same 'thrill' that another idiot hacker would enjoy by crashing an internet forum, or 'spamming' someone they felt deserved it or cracking a piece of security protected software and distributing it on the internet as a 'protest against capitalism'. That has nothing to do with autism: it's the geek equivalent of bullying - picking a fight with someone because you think they can't do anything about it and for little other reason than because you can, and it makes you feel big and clever when you giggle about it with your equally pathetic mates. In this case, he was sticking his fingers up at/bullying the US goverment AND breaking international laws. I don't have much sympathy for the US govt., but neither do I for this guy either. That he then tries to pretend he did it because he is 'autistic' is insulting on every level, and i find it really discomforting that a considerable percentage of the autistic community are willing to capitalise on that to defend his actions because of some very misguided idea of 'solidarity'.

L&P

BD :D

Incidently the same argument could be used regarding the need to balance the illegality of what was done against the obsessive nature of the condition in relation to many activities that are regarded by society as unacceptable including paedophilia.Society still regards the action as unacceptable and subject to sanctions even where there is known to be a diagnosis of mental ilneess.That is why there are psychiatric secure units.

I think that to suggest that those with a diagnosis of AS are somehow unable to judge what is wrong or to learn to judge what is wrong would be a major concern for me.

It is exactly the generalisation that I find really frustrating in the media.Actually the media usually has two views of people with ASD.One is based on the view that all people with ASD are completely dependent on others and have significan learning difficulties.The other is that people with ASD are eccentric individuals who are all extremely gifted in one area.

Thankfully the media have not picked up on the idea that people with ASD are all criminals because they are not able to control the obsessive nature of their illness. :P Karen.

Thanks, Karen...that's exactly the point I started trying to make this morning, but sleep deprivation meant I just wrote drivel (so no change there then...I heard that at the back!! :shame: )

I think among everything else you have to consider the 'nature' of the crime and the subculture that surrounds it...

Computer hackers know exactly what they are doing, and until they get caught that is their primary reason for doing it. This guy was effectively sticking two fingers up for exactly the same 'thrill' that another idiot hacker would enjoy by crashing an internet forum, or 'spamming' someone they felt deserved it or cracking a piece of security protected software and distributing it on the internet as a 'protest against capitalism'. That has nothing to do with autism: it's the geek equivalent of bullying - picking a fight with someone because you think they can't do anything about it and for little other reason than because you can, and it makes you feel big and clever when you giggle about it with your equally pathetic mates. In this case, he was sticking his fingers up at/bullying the US goverment AND breaking international laws. I don't have much sympathy for the US govt., but neither do I for this guy either. That he then tries to pretend he did it because he is 'autistic' is insulting on every level, and i find it really discomforting that a considerable percentage of the autistic community are willing to capitalise on that to defend his actions because of some very misguided idea of 'solidarity'.

L&P

:notworthy:

As above with Karen's quote!

Thanks, Karen...that's exactly the point I started trying to make this morning, but sleep deprivation meant I just wrote drivel (so no change there then...I heard that at the back!! :shame: )

Did I say anything........... :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::lol::lol:

:notworthy:

As above with Karen's quote!

I can't think why you might use BD as an example of someone who does not talk drivel either. :oops::lol:

Oh - just wanted to add to my post above (which could have come out a bit harshly) I do sympathise with him and his family in respect of the potential loss of his liberty and the implications of that. Over an act which technically is open to interpretation as just cockiness and rank stupidity rather than genuine criminal intent that must seem doubly heavy handed. It is, however, the recognised punishment for the crime committed, so whatever the 'intent' the act has to be judged on that basis, and without recourse to unreasonable claims of exemption on the grounds of possible AS.

L&P

My point is that it seems highly likely that if he has worked as a systems analyst and been able to sustain a relationship that he is not an adult with ASD and learning difficulties, neither is he a teenage lad. Which is not to say that someone with LDs can't have a girlfriend, but within this scenario his past job and a relationship imply a certain profile.

Many adults with AS manage to hold down quality technical jobs and stay in long term marriages, have kids, etc. It would be a nonsense to suggest that Gary McKinnon does not have AS simply because he has held a job as a systems analyst and is in a relationship.

Just because somebody has a high level of technical knowledge in a particular subject does not imply in any way that they have a good knowledge of the law. I would hazard a guess that Gary McKinnon has a basic understanding of computer law but one does not have to be an expert in computer law to be a successful systems analyst. Maybe he underestimated the penalties if he was caught and it never crossed his mind that he could be extradited. Has an extradition for hacking ever happened before? I don't think so. Is there anything specifically written into British law saying that computer hackers can be extradited? Tell me where.

i don't think at any point anyone's said he should be let off/done nothing wrong. point is, he shouldn't be extradited. obviously his legal help are hoping the AS dx will strengthen that point...

This is the crux of the matter. I am a strong believer that British citizens should face trial in British courtrooms with British law. Not extradited to foreign countries for trial.

Don't the USA refuse to extradite any of their nationals to other countries? I'm not 100% sure on that, but I have a feeling i've read that somewhere.

I believe this is the case and it smacks of hypocrisy.

Hi all.I am also interested that it appears that this individual was diagnosed with AS in 2008.He was originallythreatened with extradition in 2006.I may be cynical but wonder if there is a link between these two events. :rolleyes:

This is certainly interesting.

Many adults with AS manage to hold down quality technical jobs and stay in long term marriages, have kids, etc. It would be a nonsense to suggest that Gary McKinnon does not have AS simply because he has held a job as a systems analyst and is in a relationship.

Canopus, I have never said he doesn't have AS! I couldn't possibly know.

I was trying to point out that his profile suggests that if he has worked as a systems analyst he is not someone with ASD and learning difficulties who might well not have the cognitive ability to understand that what they did was illegal. At 42 neither is he a teenage lad who again might not understand the illegality of hacking.

I'm sorry, but I think it is stretching credibility/gullibility to the extreme to suggest that this man was unaware that his actions were illegal. I have AS (and work and am married), know diddley-squit about computers...and I know that hacking is illegal!!

Bid

Edited by bid

Just because somebody has a high level of technical knowledge in a particular subject does not imply in any way that they have a good knowledge of the law. I would hazard a guess that Gary McKinnon has a basic understanding of computer law but one does not have to be an expert in computer law to be a successful systems analyst. Maybe he underestimated the penalties if he was caught and it never crossed his mind that he could be extradited. Has an extradition for hacking ever happened before? I don't think so. Is there anything specifically written into British law saying that computer hackers can be extradited? Tell me where.

Hi.Anyone working in any job involving ICT would have an induction.The induction would cover the use of ICT and what an individual is able to do legally.It is illogical that an individual empoyed as a systems analyst would not have been made aware of the legal implications of computer hacking.

Even for empoyees at any level with access to the most basic of information it would be made clear that using computers for anything but legitamate activity is not allowed.

A nurse was recently sacked for using Ebay in work time.Karen.

Hi.Anyone working in any job involving ICT would have an induction.The induction would cover the use of ICT and what an individual is able to do legally.It is illogical that an individual empoyed as a systems analyst would not have been made aware of the legal implications of computer hacking.

An induction course would almost certainly mention the Computer Misuse Act 1990. I would be very surprised if an induction course would mention the possibility of extradition for hacking into US government computer systems. As I have stated before, the crux of the matter is extradition.

At 42 neither is he a teenage lad who again might not understand the illegality of hacking.

I have previously stated that Gary McKinnon almost certainly knew that hacking is illegal. However, he almost certainly wasn't aware that the penalties would go as far as extradition to the US.

An induction course would almost certainly mention the Computer Misuse Act 1990. I would be very surprised if an induction course would mention the possibility of extradition for hacking into US government computer systems. As I have stated before, the crux of the matter is extradition.

I disagree.An individual who decides knowingly to do something that is illegal should face the consequences for their actions.

Individuals who rob houses are known to do it having assessed the chances of being caught and the likely penalty.

When they are convicted of theft they cannot argue that on that occasion they did not expect to go to prison and had they have known they would be sent to prison they would not have done it.Karen.

I disagree.An individual who decides knowingly to do something that is illegal should face the consequences for their actions.

Only the consequences that are spelt out beforehand. Unless anybody can point out a specific piece of UK LEGISLATION that states that computer hackers can be extradited that was published BEFORE Gary McKinnon was caught, then imposing a penalty of extradition is a dirty underhand tactic of the US government.

If Gary McKinnon was being prosecuted in a British court under the Computer Misuse Act 1990 with penalties imposed by the British government in accordance to those stated in the Act, then it would be a completely different story. To prosecute an individual for a crime by issuing a penalty that is not officially published is a very unjust thing to do.

This is certainly interesting.

My last post was in response to this.My argument was that a computer analyst would be aware that he was doing something illegal.As I said previously a basic induction course would have made him aware of this fact.

My issue is with the use of an AS diagnosis to justify doing something illegal.

I do not have much of an interest in the politics of this matter.Karen.

Time is running out...

Dear Supporter,

My name is Janis and I am Gary McKinnon's mum. My son has Asperger syndrome and is facing extradition to the United States for hacking into American military computers, where he could be placed in a maximum-security prison for up to 70 years.

Gary's late diagnosis of Asperger syndrome explains much of his unusual behaviour and the irrational fears he has had since he was a child. My son's actions were intended as a voyage of discovery and he had no idea of the possible consequences of this, as no one has ever been extradited for computer misuse. If imprisoned in the United States, I know I would rarely see Gary, if at all, and the strain for him of being away from his family and familiar surroundings would be devastating. As I am in my sixties, it is doubtful if I would live to see my son free. Gary has always been terrified of travelling and as an adult never goes on holiday and has never left the UK. This may be part of the reason that he travelled in cyberspace.

Time is running out so I am urgently appealing to you to please take action with the NAS now by emailing your MP asking them to support my son. I'm not asking for special treatment for Gary, but simply that he has the right to be tried in his own country and - if convicted - be given a sentence proportionate to the crime. Gary needs to be where he can get the support he so desperately needs.

Many thanks and best wishes

Janis Sharp

Gary McKinnon's mum

I'm exceedingly annoyed that the NAS is getting involved in this way. Of course they should advise them, but giving them a media platform to stand on is beyond their remit, surely.

Edited by call me jaded

Time is running out...

Dear Supporter,

My name is Janis and I am Gary McKinnon's mum. My son has Asperger syndrome and is facing extradition to the United States for hacking into American military computers, where he could be placed in a maximum-security prison for up to 70 years.

Gary's late diagnosis of Asperger syndrome explains much of his unusual behaviour and the irrational fears he has had since he was a child. My son's actions were intended as a voyage of discovery and he had no idea of the possible consequences of this, as no one has ever been extradited for computer misuse. If imprisoned in the United States, I know I would rarely see Gary, if at all, and the strain for him of being away from his family and familiar surroundings would be devastating. As I am in my sixties, it is doubtful if I would live to see my son free. Gary has always been terrified of travelling and as an adult never goes on holiday and has never left the UK. This may be part of the reason that he travelled in cyberspace.

Time is running out so I am urgently appealing to you to please take action with the NAS now by emailing your MP asking them to support my son. I'm not asking for special treatment for Gary, but simply that he has the right to be tried in his own country and - if convicted - be given a sentence proportionate to the crime. Gary needs to be where he can get the support he so desperately needs.

Many thanks and best wishes

Janis Sharp

Gary McKinnon's mum

While I sympathise with his mum's distress, this letter completely infantalises someone with AS!!

I completely agree with you Jaded.

This really does make me so angry! I work with young people with ASD who really do have severe cognitive problems. To play the autism card in this situation for a 42 year old computer professional who got caught whether he has AS or not is quite frankly insulting to those with ASD on so many levels!

:wallbash:

Gah!

Bid :angry:

Edited by bid