Sign in to follow this  
Gordie

DVD: "The Transporters"

I received this e-mail earlier today from the Autism Research Centre in Cambridge. (I'm on their e-mailing list, as I've volunteered for some of their research projects in recent years.)

Hope some of you find it useful, and feel free to forward it on yourselves if you can think of anyone who might like to know about it. :)

James

You may be interested to hear of the press release about The Transporters DVD.

http://www.culture.gov.uk/reference_librar...eases/5422.aspx

This announces that the British English version of The Transporters DVD Pack is available again from www.thetransporters.com.

The Transporters is a fun animation series designed to help children with autism and Asperger syndrome to understand and recognize emotions. It was commissioned by the UK Government and was developed with the Autism Research Centre at Cambridge University. Our research (led by Dr Ofer Golan and colleagues) showed that after using the DVD for 4 weeks, most children with autism caught up with other children in their ability to recognize emotions.

The Transporters are eight loveable animated vehicles with real human faces. The DVD contains 15 episodes with accompanying quizzes, each featuring a different emotion. The Pack comes with a booklet to help you get the most out of The Transporters. 25 will go to further research and development of new techniques to help children with autism and related conditions. There's more detail on the website about how The Transporters works, and you can watch an episode and try some quizzes too. At the moment, the DVD pack is only available online.

Please feel free to forward this to anyone you think may be interested - they can always sign themselves up to the newsletter at www.thetransporters.com/newsletter.html. The British-English version is in PAL format that plays in many countries listed on the above website. Because of differing television standards, a US/Canadian NTSC version, complete with local accents and vocabulary, will be available in a month or so.

With thanks,

Carrie Allison

Autism Research Centre

Edited by Gordie

I managed to get hold of one of these DVDs and my dd really enjoys watching it. I'm not sure it has helped her with the emotion recognition stuff, with her being very severely autistic, but she does like it :thumbs:

I was saying to Smiley on MSN not that long ago about how I thought those things looked incredibly freaky. :unsure: My cousin managed to get a copy and it gave her kids nightmares :blink:

I used Transporters to help my son with recognising feelings and facial expressions this was when he was 13. Barney is his favourite. I would like to add that he is 14 now and nolonger watches it. It really helped him with his understanding of others as well as himself.

we thought it would b good for reece but he wasnt interested at all even though he watches things like it ie busy buses underground ernie

it just didnt apeal to him

love donnaxxxxx

hi gordie

put the link on for the transporters and was took back my ds age 5 told me all about it he loves it and has been watching for the last 6 mths in his school, which i didnt know about he loves the quiz as well, but G will never tell you in any details what he has done at school each day, i would like to thank you for showing me this link it was fun and interesting.

theresa

I managed to get a copy for N over nearly two years ago (I think!) when they gave some away free as a trial. I personally think they look quite scary but N loves them! The little booklet that comes with it is held together by sheer luck as it's been read so much. N's little brother (age 3) also likes it - not as much as N though!