loupin

I'm exhausted!! any ideas?

Hi my son is 8 and has a diagnosis of ASD semmantic pragmmatic and a moderate learning difficulty but we are now wondering if he has ADHD. he is changing before my eyes, before he was very aggressive and violent especially towards me but now he is manic and totally uncontrollable. He is going off at 100 miles per hour, he is into everything, he is rude and verbally aggressive and he doesn't listen to anything i say. I am so desperate for some help but i have no idea where to start. Last night we had 2 hours of just ridiculous challenging manic behaviour at grannys house so i took my 3 boys home and left the little two with a neighbour convincing W that a walk would be good. We live on a hill and he ran!! he almost could not stop his legs it was terrifying to see his lack of control. :crying: It feels awful that i cant be on my own with my sons but it is starting to get that way

If anyone has experianced similar problems and has any ideas please please get in touch as i am at a loss and starting to feel awful!!

thanks

Hi Loupin

Im sorry this is happening to you. I am not the situation you are so I am not sure what to advise. Just wanted to say you are in my thoughts.

>:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'>

Hi loupin.Sorry you are having a tough time. >:D<<'>

If your son has become manic and he was not like that before I was wondering if he could be anxious and be unable to manage feeling stressed.Ben sometimes becomes more active when he is anxious.

Do you have support from Camhs or ASD outreach ? If you have previously recieved support then it might be worth asking for an appointment if you are worried that your son has changed.Karen.

Hi loupin,

It is possible for children with ASD to also have Bipolar Disorder. The behaviour in children and adults with this can be very manic and pretty much as you have described. Bipolar is one the the co-morbids which does exist alongside ASD. It is something that I am looking into re our eldest at the moment. Here is a link which you might like to read http://www.kidsbehaviour.co.uk/BipolarDiso...Depression.html

Cat

Hi, this is how my 12 year old strarted behaving, I am convinced he has bi-polar, I have put it in writing to all the professionals involved, CAHMS are furious with me, why I do not know, they said it was between me and them, I sent my letter with much supporting evidence to all 10 proffessionals who attented the multi-agency meeting. I have now asked for a second opinion, sorry to hi-jack your thread! but soo know how you are feeling. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Enid

Hi, with J having both ADHD and ASD I know a lot of the time his body is constantly contridicting itself, the ADHD thrives for the Stimulation as parts of the brain is not firing so you get the impulsiveness, destracting behaviour, hyperness, but the ASD part of the brain goes into total meltdown, it cant cope and so they get very destressed, if it is that he has got ADHD then you will need your son to go throw a full assessment to look at treatments, sadly in our area its only Medication, which I wished they could offer a more wholistic aproach, sport, behaviour therapy, councilling, as well as medication.

But they dont,

ADHD and ASD is very difficult to get the right ballance, they are kicking off against each other.

I find a sensory aproach helps J and he has a sensory room equipt with all sorts of stimunlating equiptment, that involves all the sences, so lights, massage, music, relaxation, punchbag, excercise equiptment, tactile toys, puzzles, art, craft, puppets, soft teddies.

I wish you luck with things improving.

JsMum

Hey Loupin,

I'm assuming you're involved with CAMHS or a paediatrician as your son has a DX, and would urge you to go back to them and raise your concerns.

My son has AS and ADHD and at the age of 8 his behaviour was terribly challenging too. I've been told that it's at around 7-8 years that boys' hormones start to stir a bit, in preparation for adolescence, and this might have a little bearing on things.

However, we struggled for years with his hyperness and agression and confrontation, until his psych basically said, 'Right we've tried all these approaches and strategies, and they haven't made any difference to this problem. Would you be willing to try medication for ADHD? If it IS ADHD, the meds will work, if it isn't, we stop them and we know he doesn't have it.' (I'm paraphrasing here!)

Thankfully, the meds did work, and while the problem has not magically disappeared (I made a recent post about this!! :rolleyes: ) its certainly more manageable.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are so many co-morbids that could be causing this, that going to a professional is pretty much the best thing to do, and I hope they give you assisstance asap, because this is such a full-on, physically and emotionally draining thing to face on a daily basis....

It might not help, but I, like so many others here, do empathise, we know exactly where you are coming from!!

Does your lad have his own space he can retreat to (or a safe, calming place you can take him to) when things kick off? I found this helped a bit with Cal-and his school found that playing classical music in the background helped lessen the severity of Cal's outbursts sometimes. I'm afraid I don't have much advice, I pretty much clung by my fingernails and held on for dear life when the rollercoaster behaviour started, and somehow got through! But I can send you a >:D<<'> , for what it's worth.

Take care,

Esther x

Thank you all so much! I am wiping my eyes as i write this, i had forgotten what its like to talk (so to speak) with people who know what you are talking about. W is at my mums for the weekend to give us all a rest which is wonderful but i'm sure you understand what i mean if i say i am torn emotionally because it doesnt feel right to need a break from your son and i miss him. I have just completed the connors questionaire for our community paed, but i will do some research into bipolar.

Huge huggs >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Im sending you a million hugs cos I soooooooooooooo know how you must feel...im literally fit to drop as im writting cos i so exhausted with my ds...he has adhd n aspergers n im still waiting for a appointment to put him on meds. He didnt settle til well after midnight last night n was up 6am telly full blast(he has hearing probs aswel) n you would swear he had slept for a month he had so much energy. >:D<<'>

Thankyou! Its a mad way of life isn't it!! We luckily have melatonin at night which does work eventually!! Well tonight is so far nice and calm so i think i may collapse with glass of wine and prepare for Monday!!

Emma xx

my daughter has adhd and when she's bad we call her Mad Paris, she gets a vacant look in her eyes and goes nuts, she looses control and it's almost impossible to get her back once she's past that point. It's horrible to watch. I blame it on over stimulation - we've stopped visits to the soft play for this reason.