Sign in to follow this  
kazzdt

Has change in diet helped your child

Hi,

I was just wondering how many of you have had success with changing your childs diet, re managing AS/ADHD.

The ADHD doctor (prior to his as dx)told me that if Sam was intolerant to something I'd have probably noticed it by now. I'm not convinced by this, though the thought of going through a change in diet seems like just added stress. Do you think it should be something that should be tried? Sometimes I feel very guilty for not having explored this in depth. A girl at school where my sister teaches had her life turned round by eliminating potatoes from her diet. Has anyone else heard of this?

Kazzdt x

Hi Kazzdt -

There's quite a lot on the forum about gluten/dairy intolerances.

Here's a quick link to one where I've posted some info on my son's situation

"link"

, but a quick search using gf/df or gf/cf will bring up lots of other threads...

There are some common indicators where diet might be helpful, but none of these are hard and fast rules. What I can say from my own experiences is that the diets can help - sometimes quite dramatically - but not necessarily for all kids. There's some really extreme claims made which do more harm than good; there are no 'cures'...

Hope that's helpful

BD :D

In my experience the diets definitely help (it is all in the gut!!! at least for our son). He has been on gluten/casein/sugar free diet for about 6 months with very good results, but have recently introduced Specific Carbohydrate Diet with truly SPECTACULAR results - please read my full reply on this topic, posted today.

Do give it a try, and NO CHEATING - this is very important! Good luck!

There is a another great book out there (links to SCD) it is called "Gut and Psychology Syndrome": reveals the true connection between nutrition and brain function. Written by a neurologist and practising nutritionist it is a "no holds barred" investigation into the real facts behind why today's generation of children have the highest incidence of learning disabilities and behavioural disorders ever.... Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride has done an excellent job of summarising the nutritional biochemical connections with psychiatric and neurological disorders and gastrointestinal function. She has done an admirable job in relating specific digestive disorders in conditions such as schizophrenia, autism, attention deficit disorder and other problems of child development. The book is full of valuable and interesting facts that can be used by people to optimise the health of themselves and their children.

Gave both CF, SF and GF diets a go, made no difference to my sons behaviour at all. TBH it seemed to be much worse. Works for some, not for others. I will read about the Specific Carbohydrate Diet as I have never come across much info on this but have heard it mentioned.