Mumble

New York Meet

Just to be clear, this is a thread about a new (as in not old) meet-up in York (UK) not a meet-up (old or new) in New York (USA)... :unsure:

Given the disaster that was my last attempt to go to a Northern Meet-up involving late trains (by days....), enough rain to flood the Sahara, and losing members of the meet-up, I've worked out exactly why things happened as they did - us Southerners (so, me then) left it to the Northerners to organise it, so it was bound to go wrong - I've read Winnie the Pooh and I know all about Bears of Little Brain, the impacts of flooding and generally getting wet and having to prepare for imminent Heffelump attacks and hence having no spare time to arrange the basics of a meet-up - contacting the met office and asking for sun, blackmailing the hoodies into not stealing the railway cables, etc...

So, I've decided to take things into my own hands and show you Northerners how to do it properly :D:devil: (otherwise known as I got a free train ticket as compensation for my failed journey and so can do the meet-up again :P)

So, for now, this is just a speculative post... Would people be interested in another Northern (YORK) meet-up? And when? I was thinking nearer Christmas time (but not too near) because it looked like it might be a nice place to go Christmas shopping? Maybe if there's kids who want to do something we could split up - I've heard there's some nice play-parks and grounds/gardens in York. :D

Anyone interested (no commitment) and when? :unsure:

I won't be able to come (now don't cheer too loudly... I do have some feelings you know! :devil::D)..... BUT anybody who is wavering on this I can't recommend enough a December visit to York. When I lived in Newcastle I went there every December because York, in December, IS what (to me) Christmas is all about.

Flo' :D

Depending on when, I might be interested

Well I'm liking Flora's recommendation of early December - provided it isn't too busy by then.

Early December would be better as York gets very busy at Christmas

OK, so looking at my calendar, how does the weekend of the 6th/7th December sound to people? Will it be snowy by then? :unsure:

OK, so looking at my calendar, how does the weekend of the 6th/7th December sound to people? Will it be snowy by then? :unsure:

According to popular (misguided) belief it'll be snowy as of 1st October. Of course 6th/7th December will mean only about 10 minutes of daylight

I'll need to check my diary but I think I could make that

And there was I thinking we were all going over to the USA for a weekend. You got me all excited there! :rolleyes:

Well if you're organising it (and paying) I'm sure I'll be able to make it :D

Might be worth checking when the Christmas Markets are, York is absolutely heaving then.

Good idea :D - will do that.

Will you be stopping over this time Mumble? :whistle:

Well it's an idea to potentially avoid the train problems of last time - I'll have to check the restrictions on my new ticket - I think it might be day return. :) I'm guessing getting accommodation too in York at that time of year would be almost impossible.

Harrogate's only 35 minutes away (apparently - I'm not 100% sure). I could get you the names of some hotels if that'd help. Whether you could handle speaking 'Yorkshire' though is another matter :devil:

Is it really? I can't believe I didn't know that! :D

Astounding isn't it :blink:

I didn't know it myself until I double-checked :whistle:

Well if you're organising it (and paying) I'm sure I'll be able to make it :D

Maybe next year after I've won the lottery. :D

K x

J and I might be free, unless his karate grading is that weekend.

And, of course, it is Independence Day in Finland, which might scupper my plans (not entirely sure how but you never know)

K

x

Yes, you might be better staying near to York, maybe 35 minutes away :D

Not much point really as it is supposed to be only two hours from London - plus if I go on the day and am delayed again I should get another free ticket - I could be getting free meetups for years if I'm (un)lucky :unsure::lol:

Not much point really as it is supposed to be only two hours from London - plus if I go on the day and am delayed again I should get another free ticket - I could be getting free meetups for years if I'm (un)lucky :unsure::lol:

Well I was amazed the other day when I had to get to Leamington Spa. The train journey was quite direct from here really and it went all the way up to Edinburgh if I wanted. So I might be interested in a day trip to York. I'll let you know when you have worked out the best dates for everyone.

I'll probably be available. Will try and post how I'm doing soon. Everythings fine btw, just rather busy. Back at school now. Not disappeared completely though just a bit irratic. :)

Edited by David Matthew Baker

Yup, probably can make it this time. Have jut arranged that DD has RDA riding lessons on alternate weekends and as far as I know that weekend is now/still free. Love to meet some of you... feels odd to communicate when I can't visualise any faces - but maybe thats me still being new to this new-fangled technology. :D

December in York

This might help in terms of judging crowds etc. The main St Nicholas Fair is over by end Nov, but theres all kinds of other stuff going on.

Barley Hall is lovely :thumbs:

When does it snow? :unsure: And are you going to be thinking about the walls again :P (strange people these Northerners...)

Hi, as a died ih the wool northener, who has lived "down south, the very end of the south west" for over 28 years, I am in sheffield, which is where we are movin too when the house is eventually sold, during the half-term.holiday If even one of you or preferably 2 could meet me that week it would be brill, would have all the kids so to meet us all could be fun or cud be ######, but if by any chance we could travel on train, the kids would love that, to meet you, that would be fun too. The kids and I would be happy to travel 30 mins or so on train, we dont need to stop for long, just loo and food, but for me, and not the kids it wood be soo lovely to put faces to names. wE could even stop at hopwoop services at birmingham on the way up, there is a play ground for the kids, walks for the dog somewhere to smoke for the 19yr old! so maybe a coffee and cake there or I could pack things, it would be great, just a short vist/get to know/put a face to name. think about it >:D<<'> Enid

Just wondering, it was a four worded deleted word I used, c@@p, so why was there 6 stars, that would denote a much more unpeasant word, just checking, Enid

Any updates on this one? Is it still likely to happen. May not be around on here much at the moment but still plan on trying to come along to any meetup. All the best, David.

(See gameshark post for a small update on what I'm upto. I thought I'd better not just post and say nothing about where I've been. :rolleyes: )

I'm still wracking my brain trying to come up with an unpleasant word with six letters beginning with 'c'! :whistle:

Celery. :whistle::lol:

Any updates on this one? Is it still likely to happen.

I think that's a 'no' for now - maybe we'll do something next year with more organisation and after the snow has begun to melt...

I'm going to be very foolhardy/brave and go to the York Christmas Market instead :o