chris54

Tomorrow May never come

We may not have to worry to much about the day after tomorrow, that is if the cynics have got it right.

According to some when they switch this Collider thing on to morrow we may all disapier up our own existence.

But if it dose go that way we won't blame them will we :wacko::wacko: .

Bye for now

Chris :pray::pray::pray:

:shame: :shame: What happened to positive thinking? :rolleyes:

This is positive thinking. If the end of the entire universe means that I can swizzle the tax man out of �300, then I consider that to be a good day's work :whistle:

Edited by TheNeil

Stephen Hawking was on the radio this morning. He says the world isn't going to disappear down a black hole tomorrow. Stephen Hawking is a very clever man who understands string theory and quantum physics and lots of difficult stuff that I don't understand. Therefore I believe Stephen Hawking. :)

But just in case, I'm having a bottle of wine tonight. Well it's a good excuse, innit? :D;)

I've been scrambling around looking for this tiny fm radio I got out of a christmas cracker so my dd can listen to the coverage when she's at school.

I've kind of not taken any notice of it tbh. I can't see how a few people in a big lab or bunker or wherever it is they are conducting the experiement (see I really do know nothing) can possibly bring about the end of the universe. It just doesn't make sense. I'm guessing there will be a little pop and a fizzle that will only be heard by those in the immediate vicinity, preceeded and followed by hours of waffle and hype.

Flora :o

Edited by Flora

Thankfully I,m on another planet :thumbs:

..............................cos I have no idea what your on about, ignorance is bliss :whistle:

I've cancelled the milk :ph34r:

I really wouldnt worry :lol: No ones going to be around to deliver or collect the bills!!!!

Or do you need the sense of karma of having cancelled the milk before the world ends???

It in a tunnel that is 17miles long in a big loop on the French Swiss border it took thousands of scientists 30years to build and it gets switched on tomorrow.

Well that's what I heard on the radio.

But we will be alright cause Stephen Hawkings said so. And Ive got all his books. Good reading, so I am told.

Ill leave reading them for a few days, well you never know, be a wast if ...

Stephen Hawking was on the radio this morning. He says the world isn't going to disappear down a black hole tomorrow. Stephen Hawking is a very clever man who understands string theory and quantum physics and lots of difficult stuff that I don't understand. Therefore I believe Stephen Hawking.

Off to pass this info onto my eldest who has become very anxious about this switch on during the last 48 hours. Hope that it calms him down enough so that we can sleep tonight :unsure:

Cat

Scientists are hoping to recreate the 'big bang' by accelerating particles down the world's largest particle accelerator (the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) operated by CERN on the French-Swiss border). The intention is to collide trillions of atoms together (head-on) at speeds approaching the speed of light in an attempt to better understand the origins of the universe and determine whether the theory about whether the entire universe was spawned from a piece of super-dense matter (about the size of a 2p) is correct or not. It's also hoped that these experiments will further our understanding of dark matter, dark energy and super-symmetry

Unfortunately several scaremongers have been spreading rumours that these types of experiments could create miniature black holes that could suck in the entire universe (where to, nobody knows but the very nature of a black hole, a point of singularity which has infinite gravity (gravity so strong that even light cannot escape it - hence the name 'black hole'), would, effectively, reverse the 'big bang' and compress all matter back into the 2p sized chunk of super-dense material from which we originally came from) or create 'worm holes' which could allow alien invaders to come to earth, enslave mankind blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda.

The chances of this happening range from miniscule to zero but this type of experiment has never been attempted on this scale and scientists can't be 100% certain that it won't have disasterous consequences. By contrast though, smashing particles together at these types of speeds does happen every second of every day across the universe and, as far as I know, the universe hasn't imploded yet (although it would explain Middlesbrough).

Tomorrow's switch on will see a stream of particles injected into the accelerator and accelerated up to (relatively) slow speeds (about half the speed of light - the same speed as electricity) so that the machine can be tested and the control of the stream understood. The big fireworks show isn't expected until the end of the year so best not to cancel milk, or delay submitting tax returns until then.

Well, you did ask :unsure: I'll now go back to watching The Simpsons :whistle:

Cat, it was on radio 4 at about 8.30 am I think, so he could listen to the whole interview via the listen again facility. It's quite a long feature and quite technical so it might reassure him.

To be honest L is a bit worried too.

K x

AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!! My 14yr old daughter is really worried about this and nothing I say is making it any better for her :tearful:

I can't wait until 8.30am has come and gone and she realises that she's still walking around!

So we only have a minuscule risk of -- ye but how big is miniscule??? :(:(:(

8.30 you say. Well do you think its worth making up tomorrow's lunch box...

Creating a small black hole could quite easily destroy the machinery. Some scientist reckons that small black holes deep within the earth are responsible for tectonic activity. Each black hole is the size of a sand grain but weighs more than Mount Everest.

Cat, it was on radio 4 at about 8.30 am I think, so he could listen to the whole interview via the listen again facility. It's quite a long feature and quite technical so it might reassure him.

To be honest L is a bit worried too.

Thanks Kathryn. I am going to give him this link so that he can listen to the broadcast. He does appear to be a little better since I imparted the thoughts of Stephen Hawking so maybe listening will help him even more.

Cat

I remember watching 'Oppenheimer" on TV years ago, and wasn't there a theory that when they let off the first A Bomb that it could ignite the atmosphere or something? And Destroy The World

Ooer missus - them there science types won't be content until we is all just shadows on a wall, will they?

It may not be tomorrow...or the day after that... but sometime... in the not too distant future... :ph34r:

either that or a HU Uge giant silver sossidge will descend from the skies and a big robok will get out with a message from the guys who really run the universe... Zaphod, Ford and Arthur :)

Don't know why they are bothering, don't they know that the answer to Life, The Universe and Everything is 42... :whistle:

Hi Siadwell - LTNS! I posted a while back about the 'absolutely' DVD's... would I be right in thinking you've already acquired your copy, or is it on your crimbo list? :lol: Was a bit surprised, actually, at what a mixed bag series one was... they didn't really get into their stride until 2/3 did they?

I don't know how to thank you, doctor

Well in that case I'll refer you to our speech therapist :lol:

Sorry - back to black bombs and A. holes :oops: A. Bombs and black holes...

:D

Well it's been on an hour and I'm still alive ... although it is awfully quiet outside.... :unsure: :unsure: Am I the last woman alive on the planet? :unsure:

Anyway, even though it went on today, it'll be four months before things really get interesting and there may just be a minuscule rationale for worrying...

No mumble, I'm still very much alive and I'm 100% ALL woman... all be-perfumed, be-jewelled and everything! Either that or there's only two of us left....

Flo' :devil:

Are you still here? If yes, then no. If no, then yes. :wacko:

But people have been telling me for years that I'm 'not all there', so where does that leave me? :unsure:

But people have been telling me for years that I'm 'not all there', so where does that leave me? :unsure:

I said here not there - these are entirely different matters - the question was, are you here?

I deliberately left the washing up in the sink this morning. But it's still here and I'm still here so I guess I'll have to do it after all. :rolleyes:

Collider - pah! Just boys playing with sophisticated toys.

Now if they'd invented something useful... like a permanent cure for nits, that would have been impressive. :D

K x