Nikki30

Hello to one and all!

Hi there my name is Nicola, I'm 30 and from Northern Ireland...Mum to Daniel, aged 4 and diagnosed with ASD, possible Aspergers, in May this year...and Cara, aged 2, not talking yet and awaiting a referral.

It is so great to find this forum...like a huge weight of my shoulders!! I have enjoyed reading all the posts...especially the one on the quirks our little ones show lol..and I thought I'd join in :) and hopefully you all won't mind reading my ramble :/ it's just great to find people who will understand :)

Daniel's development was all going according to the "norm" until he starting taking seizures when he was 2&1/2..he was (after quite a wait) diagnosed with epilepsy and was referred to a multi-disciplimary team who picked up on sensory issues, word-finding difficulties and low muscle tone and as time passed he started to show some mild traits of autism which myself and his nursery teacher picked up on..collecting cars and lining them up/organising them rather than playing with them, repetative movements and echolalia, problems with moving from one task to another, loved his rouines, screamed blue murder on grooming, preferred to play with the one little boy in school and dictated the way they should play etc etc etc. I voiced my concerns to his Consultant and she told me to go away and observe, take notes etc...it was a bit of a surprise to her as his eye contact, communication skills have always been great. In the meantime the educational phychologist had called out to see Daniel and then myself and made her report..intellectually he was above average (as is goes with Aspergers?) and she picked up on his traits too. In a couple of months we were back to the Consultant and she diagnosed him with ASD high functioning autism there and then, which would probably turn into Aspergers (woah! what a blow, even though we suspected it...as I'm sure you all can sympathise!)

This diagnosis didn't change a thing..just helped people understand Daniel more and have more patience...and we were given support in the form of workshops and an organisation that will be there in the backgroud throughout his school years for any support he needs...we were given a scrap book with pictures and descriptions to prepare him for Primary 1 (which worked absolute wonders...he is in his 3rd week now and loves it! the only issues he has is with toileting really...so far). We also made a scrap book for him before we went on a foreign holiday and I must say he was such a brilliant boy while we were away!)

He has since been weaned off his medication for epilepsy as he hasn't had a fit for well over a year and I'm so glad because it had such a big effect on his health...so keeps your fingers crossed for us that he stays fit free!

With my daughter Cara...my worst fears are tha she will have Autism rather than Aspergers....but I guess it's just a case of wait and see.

Thankyou for listening and I look forward to chatting with you all...I hope I haven't offended anybody in my descriptions or anything...I'm still rather new to this all :/

Nicola x

hi and welcome nicola

this is a realy good site and you have plenty of peeps to talk with, i myself have a little boy who was 6 last week and is just going through the dx process so it is a waiting game for me at mo, hope you enjoy the forum

takecare

theresa x :thumbs:

Hi, Nicola

I'm also a mum of two. Eldest son is 10 and has no ASD, and youngest is 5 and has high-functioning autism. I can identify with all that you've said (although he doesn't have epilepsy) We knew what the consultant was likely to say, but the actual diagnosis still came as quite a shock.

I'm really glad that your little one has been able to come off his epilespy meds - fingers crossed he'll stay fit-free :thumbs:

Take care

Nicky >:D<<'>

Hi Nikki,

Welcome to the forum. I really enjoyed reading your introductory post... lovely positive attitude. :thumbs:

Flora :D

Aww thanks guys..for the warm welcome and understanding. You really do feel alone until you speak to people who have similar experiences don't you. Reading a lot of the posts i'm like ahh yes that's my Daniel..ahhh yes that's what happened to us lol! Also it is great to read so many different stories....how each of our children can differ so much in their condition..each of them so precious and unique :) Sad though that some people are having such difficulties in getting answers or a diagnosis and problems with the school's acceptance etc :( my thoughts are with you all! The waiting is horrible!

Even though it can be very hard at times...i thank my lucky stars every day for my precious little monkies. Nicola x