bid

Natural alternative to Citalopram?

Has anyone used a natural alternative to Citalopram?

I was given it a couple of years ago, and apart from slight nausea it did help. My anxiety levels are through the roof again at the mo, but I would really prefer to try something natural first.

I've just read Jonathan's thread about OCD and noticed that a couple of people recommended Rescue Remedy...does anyone know if this would be, er-em, 'strong' enough for pretty much constant acute anxiety coupled with nausea/indigestion?

Any ideas, please?

Bid :)

Edited by bid

The primary natural alternative is St Johns Wort which is a herbal anti-depressant.

I have used both at different times. There is plenty of stuff on the web so have a read and make your own mind up.

Simon

The primary natural alternative is St Johns Wort which is a herbal anti-depressant.

I have used both at different times. There is plenty of stuff on the web so have a read and make your own mind up.

Simon

I may be out of date, but isn't SJW really quite expensive?? :unsure:

It's not terribly expensive as far as I know. I've even seen it in supermarkets, but if you look online you may find it even cheaper. However, it does interact with other medications and you must tell your GP if you are taking it. In some countries it is only available on prescription. It can interact with other antidepressants, antibiotics and the contraceptive pill, but there may well be others. Don't let this put you off, because it is often very effective. Just make sure you treat it more like a medicine than a herbal supplement if you know what I mean.

5-HTP is also thought to be good for depression. I don't know if it is specifically helpful for anxiety, but the causes of depression and anxiety are thought to be similar. It's more expensive than SJW I believe, but I know several people who find it extremely helpful.

I have used Rescue Remedy to help shut up my brain so I can go to sleep. I have found it very effective, especially the new night time one, but I don't have the same kind of anxiety that you're describing. It's widely used and recommended, so it might be worth a try! It might not be as effective as you would like, but if it makes a positive difference, it might be useful.

Some people find that relaxation exercises, meditation or yoga can be very helpful with anxiety. Vigorous exercise can also help.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy can be really effective for specific issues like anxiety. It's not always easy to come by on the NHS. I don't know if private therapy is an option for you, but when thinking about the cost bear in mind than infrequent sessions would be infinitely better than none at all. There are also many books that can guide you through it. It's got to be better doing it with a trained therapist who can guide you in the right direction, but a book is better than nothing. It might also give you some long-term strategies.

Thanks Tally and Simon... :)

I shall investigate SJW further, and maybe get some RR to have with me.

CBT: mmmm, unfortunately I really can't cope with talking to anyone at the mo which is one of the reasons I don't want to go to my GP.

Thanks again.

hi bid i hope u find something soon to help u. i tried rr but found it wasnt strong enough for me my citrolopram has just been upped to 40mg and cant cope without it but wud lv to find a natural alternative please tell us how u get on with them if thats wat u decide xx

love donnaxxxxxx

I was on anti-depressants for years but hated the groggy feeling they gave me and they still didn't help with anxiety. I have been taking Clarocet for about 7 months and am amazed how well I feel. I'm not on an unnatural high, I can feel emotion and can now cry at sad things (which is lovely to feel again), but my deep depression has lifted and anxiety is now controlled. They are very expensive but I feel the price is worth paying, my husband would definately agree! Also my daughter has been taking the Junior Clarocet. She suffers from anxiety and OCD, these have helped considerably. The OCD is no longer out of control and she has stopped having panic attacks. I'm not sure if its coincidence but she is enjoying school much more and is getting good grades, which has never happened before.

i was on citalopram (40mg) for years. now i use rescue remedy instead. i had extreme anxiety leading to agorophobia and not being able to leave the house, but i dont have any prolonged anxiety these days. i just suck one of the pastille ones or use the night drops if its night and i'm calm in a few minutes. i like the pastilles because they take longer to use up, so i can focus on that. i think 'every suck i'm getting better' and it helps me hang on til it kicks in. my whole family now use them (far less often) when they are stressed or in a particularly angry mood and it helps for this too, we have much fewer big family rows. i just wish it were generic because its sooo expensive for regular use.

i like being off the drugs because i didn't have any emotions, but now i can be happy or sad, i just dont have to deal with the anxiety and anger i had before

Edited by NobbyNobbs

I was on anti-depressants for years but hated the groggy feeling they gave me and they still didn't help with anxiety. I have been taking Clarocet for about 7 months and am amazed how well I feel. I'm not on an unnatural high, I can feel emotion and can now cry at sad things (which is lovely to feel again), but my deep depression has lifted and anxiety is now controlled. They are very expensive but I feel the price is worth paying, my husband would definately agree! Also my daughter has been taking the Junior Clarocet. She suffers from anxiety and OCD, these have helped considerably. The OCD is no longer out of control and she has stopped having panic attacks. I'm not sure if its coincidence but she is enjoying school much more and is getting good grades, which has never happened before.

Ooh I like the sound of Clarocet! What is it and can you get it OTC? And I really must try Rescue Remedy again; I like the thought of pastilles.

Billabong

PS do any of these help you stop feeling lonely and isolated? :ph34r: It's just one of those weeks!

Avena (flowering oat)? it worked well when my dd went through a patch of extreme anxiety, plus it was the only one she could take with her epilepsy meds.

I went into our better health food shop and just asked what might help. The assistant pulled up a website with all the herbal remedies and contrindications on it.

A x

I tried Avena (Avena Sativa, think it was) some years ago for insomnia and it worked really well to start with, then didn't make any difference. However, I discovered there was something in it that sent my cat barmy. I only had to leave an emptied glass around and he'd try to stick his head into it, then turn into a manic cat. It definitely didn't have that effect on me!

Hi Bid,

I have been suffering with anxiety and boredrline depression for ages now. I have been very manic, feeling that I have to do 'everything' all at once, and unable to rest or enjoy myself until every little thing was fixed ( which of course o=it never will be!).

I tried Rodiola Rosea (one of the ingredients in Clarotin), but that was very expensive and didn't really help with my symptoms.

I've been signed off work for 8 weeks now, but unable to use this time to relax, I've just pushed myself to do more so I didn't 'waste' time. last week, I collapsed yet again with the strain of having a load of washing left in the washer overnight(! :tearful: ), and nearly left my poor long suffering DH because of it. That's when i realised I needed more help!

I went back to my Dr and he prescribed Citalopram. I'm feeling so much clearer now after just 6 days. The nausia and sleepiness is really getting to me, though. How long did they last in your case? Also, I'm already worrying about what I'll do when I have to come off them. Is this hard to do?

I've tried Rescue Remedy, and am also taking a mixture of flower therapies from my holistic councellor. Unfortunately, these haven't been strong enough for me. :(

A friend of mine took SJW and found it helpful for a while, but, like me, ended up with a prescription when things didn't improve enough. I think it depends on the severity of your symptoms and what's causing them.

Good luck, Bid >:D<<'>

i was taking citalopram for 4 years and i have to admit at first they were a great help but it got to the stage where i guess i was ammune to them and they wern't helping me at all i was on a big dose 60mg and i still found that they didn't help :tearful:

I went back to the doctors and explained everything to her because i was getting alot worse, i developed agrophobia and was having anxiety attacks it really was a pretty awful time, she sent me to see a pshycologist who upped my dosage and changed them to ventafaxine and i had CBT aswell .

I'm now on a dose of 150mg which i feel is very high and would love to take something alternative instead but at the same time im worried about not taking the meds as i dont want to go back to what i was like before :tearful:

>:D<<'>

Sorry to hear that Emma 74. I've been referred for counselling too. Hope to come off the tablets ASAP as I am so scared of being dependent. Trying not to worry too much about it for the moment as they are making me feel so much better!

thanks mum of 3 >:D<<'>