Sign in to follow this  
Amanda32

Phenergan

:D As you know my son as been on Phenergan now since Monday night but so far not made any difference. When any of your children have had it how long did the Dr say it would take to work, well if it does work?. I know things take a while to get in the system such as taking tablets but just wondered about this. Hopefully i will get a phone call sometime next week off the Paediatrician as he still dont go off to sleep until midnight and wont get up in the morning. I was told to wake him up early even if he has not gone to sleep until late as he may start to get tired from it. See how he gets on going back to school when he has to use his brains and to do some work and concentrate.

Take care all

Amanda >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

We only tried it once, before a flight. It made things a whole lot worse.

It seems to have quite a few potential side effects too, so we didn't use it again.

Simon

Hi Amanda,

Like Simon, we have only tried it before a long flight. It was prescribed by our GP to help my (then) 21 month old daughter sleep on an overnight flight to and from South Africa. This was about 15 years ago; it was the usual thing to prescribe in these circumstances, I think it's actually an anti histamine.

It worked very well for us, although I have to say that she was always a very good sleeper at home anyway. She was out like a light both times. In fact on the way back she rolled off the seat :o and didn't even wake up. The flight was a lot easier than it would have been.

I don't know what the effects are of using it long term though.

K

Hi.

I used to give it to my daughter when she was younger (about3) and was warned by the Dr that it can have the reverse effect on some kids, it did with J we had her bouncing off the walls for hours. The thing was he never told us until we took her back saying it didn't work. :wallbash:

We just gave up and she is still awake untill the early hours now she is 14. Oh and waking them up early makes no difference, she gets up at around 7 for school and spends the whole day the most misserable person ever. It does catch up with her now and again and she will sleep like the dead for a good 12 hours. B)

Viper.

We also used Phenergan on D (pre dx) when he was about 3 as he would never sleep and it worked for one night only......kids fight this stuff :wacko:

Hi

My doctor prescribed this to my son at the age of 2, because he would only sleep for 2-3 hours a night. The phenergan made him sleep for 3-4 hours and he kept falling over all day, so i didn't give it to him again. :(

Hi Amanda,

Ask the paediatrician if you can try Melatonin, this could help put his body into a routine to help him sleep....it's an absolute godsend!!! He will not need it all the time, i just give my son half a 3mg capsule in his drink. It works within an hour!

It is also tasteless and mixed in milk or a cuppa he won't taste it. My Dan hates tablets, he never knew he was having it, he does now and sometimes asks for one if he needs it.

Rach x

We tried it when J was 18 mths. Did the right thing tried it at home to check for the opposite side effect. He was fine. Did it on a 7 hour night time flight - he climbed the walls. What a nightmare - we had to wait until it wore off :pray:

It is also the active ingredient in Medised the cold medicine. However that one works - go figure :devil:

I've noticed this too with Medised, is it much smaller dose than the phenergan ?

Can't check cos we don't have any phenergan in the house, was a bit worried earlier about this cos middle child tried prawns for first time in 6 years after a previous outbreak of hives. It obviously wasn't the cause !

(or he's outgrown an allergy)

wac

Used phenergan for my son about 9 years ago when he had chicken pox. Gave him it at about 11pm as he was too uncomfortable to sleep; the result..... he turned the house upside down and didn't go to sleep until 9.30am the next morning (he fell asleep in the car when I drove my daughter to school).

Lauren

I think this is the stuff in Piriton. I discovered it after my son came out in a heat rash once after a holiday and the doctor prescribed Piriton. It made him sleep so used it a few times when necessary, like travelling but must say he's a lot better these days so haven't used it for a few years now I'd forgotten all about it until now. I don't think it is as strong as prescibed phenergan, maybe that's why it didn't keep him awake.

Phernergan sends J crazy.....its like having a mini Taz running from room to room. Our nutritionalist told us that the high sugar content was to blame for the hyper behaviour!

However it sends our oldest into a deep restful sleep that lasts for hours and hours....just goes to show no two kids are ever the same. :lol:

:robbie:

I`ve only used Phenergan a couple of times for my son, for his travel sickness. It`s worked for us and i would use it again if a long journey was anticipated.