Sign in to follow this  
jewel

Got assesment report

Hi

My son 8yrs was dx with AS 2 weeks ago, i have now recieved the assesment report and it lists all that is wrong with him! The school will obviously get a copy and the report suggests further action they can take...my main worries are my son is very placid so dosnt get a lot of attention as he seems to be in a world of his own, i understand that hes one of many in the class but it worries me,there are 2 children in his class with AS and the other boy is far more animated and has meltdowns.Teacher and head were suprised of his dx as they thought it was all down to his hearing loss ( wears hearing aids)

How can i help him with his school life? i will obviously be seeing the head, but as all of us do, i want whats best for him i need to go forward with this but not sure what to do? what can i do?

Thank you

Hi

Sounds a bit like my son. We are in the proses of sorting out what support he can get in school. At his new school (we moved to a new council area) his teacher, the SENCO and the Head are all keen to get a statement. Even so It will be about 5 more weeks before the next meeting when hopefully things will move forward.

In the area we lived before it was something like 4 month between each step, and it would take 4 or 5 weeks for someone to write up a report, and so on and so no. In comparison things here move quickly, but it still seems to take for ever.

We are lucky, if that is the right way to put it, as at the school they admit that he needs more help that they can give him under SA+. They are already doing more than is SA+ required of them.

His teacher is frustrated as she can see that he is not able to work to his full potential, amongst other things he needs someone to keep him focused, even the other kids in his class realise this and will remind him what he is supposed to be doing.

At the new school the other kids seem to want include him which gives us a bit of peace of mind.

Al I can say is see what the SENCO at the school says and take it from there.

I have just had my son's assessment report following diagnosis a couple of weeks ago. But he is in high school.

You seem to be doing all the right things. Keep the lines of communication open with school.

Good luck.

I think whatever you decide wiht the school its really important to keep meeting with them thrashing out a plan until you are 100% happy with it.

Once youve agreed it ask for it be sent to at home in writing and have it outlining excactly what the school will be doing, and could even outline what you will do at home, like a home school agreement.

Only saying this because with all the good intentions in the world schools are overstreched and you never know when a new situation will arrise IE: new head, new teacher , new child in class with a condition also, and when the dust has settled and its common knowledge of your childs needs, there is a possibility the urgency or the good intetions will not be fulfilled, and you obviously will not be happy and can approach the school with the written confirmation of what they have promised to do and point out exactly what they are not doing. We have to be the Voice for our children and it always helps to have something to fight with.

Good luck, love & hugs. x x

Hi.If you have ASD outreach in your area it would be worth pushing for them to provide school with support.If you are going to obtain a Statement of SEN then request that regular quantified support from ASD outreach is included.Social Skills group and/or a circle of friends [group of friends put together to offer friendship and support] may also be included as provision.

If school have not suggested requesting an assessment of SEN with a view to obtaining a Statement then do ensure that any intervention is planned and documented.If your child needs any different or extra provision to other children of the same age then they should be registered on the SEN register.If outside professionals are involved then your DS should have an IEP and be registered at the level School Action Plus.

It is worth making sure that the school have accurate documentation becuase if you or they decide to apply for a Statement at a later date then evidence would be needed to prove that intervention has been provided without it making a significant impact.Usually at least two sets of IEPs at School Action Plus.

We are anticipating obtaining an AS Dx for Ben on Monday.The professionals have said that they anticipate a further professional meeting to plan appropriate support.I think this is considered good practice now after a new Dx.So you could request a meeting with the professionals involved with you if they do not offer one to discuss a package of support and intervention.Karen.