Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGeek

Toe Walking and foot pain

I did a walking test in the lab and was told that I toe walk. I already knew this but apparently it isn't that common in adults and that I should have grown out of it by now. Is it really as uncommon in adults as they say? They said that this is probably the main cause of the pain I'm going through right now. I've got to the point where the pain is so bad that when I walk to uni (just under 2 miles away) I have to stop for a break 20 times. My toes really hurt, the arches of my feet feel like they are going to rip and my achilles tendons are really tight :unsure: I'm not sure what to do next really. :unsure:

hi

how old are you ? i ask thi,s as my almost 17yr old son still does it, wether hes walking ,running,paying footie.

and

what 'lab' were you tested in - why were you there? i ask this as you really should be under a pysyo therapist as my 8 yr old is - he just been dx with aspergers - and his toe walking is very promenant, he gives hime exercises to do at home - and once a week he goes for PT at the hospital

they have recently offered him putting his legs/ffet in plaster for one week at a time - to try to stretch the muscles - i dont like the idea as i seems cruel - but it could be benificial to him also ...

his also attends the ORTHOTICS DEPT at the hospital wher they fit him with special shoes that is almost impossibleto toe walk in

he was reffered to both these unitd vis the consultant - but you can go to your GP and ask to be reffered - im sur they can help you

dont forget if the toe walking doent stop , the older you get the worse the pain will get - get help now !!

my eldest (17y ) is not on the spectrum, so i didnt think any thin was wrong with him doing the toe waliking - however we now know that is can cause many problems in later life such as 'thickening of the ankles' and 'pain' as you describe

hope this helps melxx

Edited by ryansmum2

SG,

Not so sure about this. Apparently I used to toe walk but I don't anymore (well not very often... I do when I'm nervous or excited!); my son used to toe walk and doesn't appear to anymore, although his trousers are so long that I don't think I've seen his feet for a few years :lol: so he may well still do it for all I know! I would think that people can grow out of it, but whether everyone grows out of it I don't know :)

Flora

I sometimes toe walk, but I certainly do not do it all of the time. I don't know how long I have been doing it for, but my parents say I did not do it as a child - though they might just not have noticed. It got worse when I developed heel pain which lasted for almost a year, but I was definitely doing it before this as well.

Given the amount of pain you are in, I would definitely recommend seeing a doctor about it.

hi

toe walking is VERY common within the autistic spectrum especially with aspergers,

funny all my sons (3 oth them!) and my brother, all do it - my daughter does not ?? (but she has no autistic signs)

the males in the family , all have autistic 'symptoms' (especially my brother 30yrs old) but only my middle boy has has severe difficulties that i knew had to be looked into - hence the final dx of aspergers after a 3 year wait !

i can stress enough how important it is to get your children checked out id they are doing it - as it can cause extreeme problems in later life

bfn mel xx

The toe walking has caused extremely bad problems for my 3 year old. His achilles are so tight he needs piedro boots and physio. He can't jump and is only just about running. there are seperate motor planning issues there too but i would get things checked out with a physio asap.

The toe walking has caused extremely bad problems for my 3 year old. His achilles are so tight he needs piedro boots and physio. He can't jump and is only just about running. there are seperate motor planning issues there too but i would get things checked out with a physio asap.

Can someone please tell me the difference between toe walking and sometimes walking on tip toe?

The reason I ask is that DS (almost 6) used to do this a lot when he was younger, but I havent seen him do it for a while. But both his sisters (age 1 and 2 1/2) occasionally walk on tiptoe, the older one less than the younger one now. DS has Asperger's and as far as we know the girls are NT. DS also used to stand on the spot going up and down on his tiptoes when he was angry. Anyone else had this?

DS also used to stand on the spot going up and down on his tiptoes when he was angry. Anyone else had this?

I still do this, which obviously contributes to the pain I'm getting. I saw a free podiatrist in the city and they said to try some stretches. Along with these I have been warming up the muscles in the shower every morning has reduced the pain to just about bearable. I've got a drs appointment on Tuesday so I'll bring it up with her then. If I forget the shower then the stretches alone don't really do that much.