LoubeeGreen

New Need a friend!!!

Hi Everyone

Im new to this site but not new to the whole looking at every site on Autism especially Aspergers, comparing, self diaognosing my son whilst swimming against the tide of school telling me, thats a complete different child you dicribe than we see at school, However after last term me telling the about my son who is nealry 7 trying to stay awake all night so he could watch the time change and becoming completely obsessed by the time they gave in and refered him to go to panel for an ed pyshc appointment, the panel agreed with me after a lengthy letter he shoul;d have an assesment....its booked JAN 09!!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!

I need someone to tell me im not mad and thta I have justified reasonms for suspecting Aspergers....I know the school think im a lunatic, now He is being Bullied as well so they think I just like to cause problems I AM SICK OF THEM!!!!! - they are supposed to be professionals. They are professional IDIOTS!!! anyway after that little rant!! lol

He loves to copy the dictionary

Heis above average in MAths and Spelling and Writing/Reading

He becomes obsessed with various things like making lists of sums, or football boots brands, or teams or his current favourite songs of Abba (thanks to the mamma mia soundtrack being in the car lol!!)

He seems to get really stressed by these obsessions like he has to finish the task so if he needs to go to bed because its late I find it hard to get him to stop, quite often he will try to sneak it upstairs ARGGHHH

He finds new situations stressful and recently is howing this as anger which is quite new

His younger brother idolises him and he is finding it difficult to handle the atttension unless he initiates it, will get angry

If he does play with toys the game is more about setting them up than actually playing them!

He feels so anxious all the time he has no self confidence and this has not been helped by some littlesnot head picking on him at school ARGGGHHHH

He takes things very literly, example. I was telling him about a friend with EF students staying and Ithe conversation led to me saying she has to make sure they are safe and feed them, meaning provide meals he took me to mean that she actually had to spoon feed them(they were 15!!) he was shocked and couldnt get his head round it untill I explined at length what I ment.

He likes to know everyones age

he can seem quite rude because he is very blunt with people, matter of fact

These are just the basic as you will know i expect the list could go on forever

AM I MAD!!!!!

Please be honest does it sound like aspergers im convinced 98% GOd I hope im not mad What can i do to keep sane till Jan, He seems so depressed what can I do to help him???

Please help me x -- excuse all the spelling mistakes I was RANT typing lol! x

Edited by LoubeeGreen

Hi LoubeeGreen.Welcome to the Forum. :) I hope you will find lots of friends here as I have. >:D<<'>

I have Ben who is 10 and does sound rather similar to your son.

Ben currently has a Diagnosis of DCD [Dyspraxia] with Social Communication Difficulties [some AS bits but previously not enough for Dx].

However this may well change to AS Dx on Monday.

I have been around here for some time and we first started down the AS Dx route three years ago. :) Karen.

Hi LoubeeGreen.Welcome to the Forum. :) I hope you will find lots of friends here as I have. >:D<<'>

I have Ben who is 10 and does sound rather similar to your son.

Ben currently has a Diagnosis of DCD [Dyspraxia] with Social Communication Difficulties [some AS bits but previously not enough for Dx].

However this may well change to AS Dx on Monday.

I have been around here for some time and we first started down the AS Dx route three years ago. :) Karen.

Thanks

God, its so overwhelming, sometimes you think mybe you should just bury your head in the sand and hope for the best, but hey if we dont be strong who will. Thanks for the reply hope all goes well on Monday, let me know the outcome x

hi and welcome

and no you are not going mad, i have a 6 yr old ds who is just going through the dx prossess and belive me i feel like i am going insane also,i know it seems a long way off but you have manage up to now so hold in there and remember noone knows our kids like us mum and dads, good luck with dx and keep us up to date with things

takecare

theresa x

Hi, LoubeeGreen and welcome :thumbs:

I've been REALLY lucky as my DSs nursery and school have always been supportive and, in fact, it was someone at nursery who referred him to the consultant in the first place. (He is now 5 and has a dx of hugh-functioning Autism). I know from this forum that this kind of support is not the norm - and it shouldn't be that way :wallbash:

I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for you, but all I can say is stay strong and stick to your guns - you know your son better than anyone.

Nicky >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

>:D<<'> a friend here, with open arms, >:D<<'>

Big Warm welcome, this place and the people here are amazing and hopefully together we can help you get in the right direction to get the right support for you and your son needs.

I totally related and connected to the things you have said and you are not MAD, but the system is certainly is, sometimes schools, dont recognise symtoms of AS or Higher functioning Autism, because they have mis concieved ideas of what Autism is, also if they can pretend a child doesnt have Autism then they dont have to meet there needs and give provisions.

You are not on your own, by any means, so dont worry there, its taken the LEA all of my Sons primary years to recognise and start to meet his SENs!

It has totally exhausted me, consumed my life and Ive defo aged by four to five years doing it, but I wouldnt give up, but what helped me the most was this forum, they listened and supported me, and put me in the right path to get the right support for J, I honestly dont know were Id be with out forums like this, so your in good hands here.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

Hi Loubee

Welcome to the forum :) Rant away, we don't mind!

(In case you're wondering where it went, I merged your similar topic in Gen. Discussion with this one, so that all the replies are in one place.)

K x

Hi there Loubee,

Welcome to the forum, you certainly have come to the right place for understanding and support.

Sadly the diagnosis thing is a slow drawn out process and so often as not we as parents are made to feel some kind of blame or that we are totally mad and have made it all up !!!!

I guess January seems a long way away but it will come around soon enough, but be warned you probably won't gte any answers straight away.

Hang in there and make the most of having a good rant and posting on here.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x x x

Hi there I now exactly how you feel, my son is 10 yrs old and has had all the assesments, just had the last one this week actually, we are waiting for a decision on diagnosis which is on 23rd Oct. I was told on Thurs by the nurse that although Daniel obviously has problems she thinks it unlikely that he will get a diagnosis as he doesnt tick enough of the boxes (her words). Very frustrating and upsetting but thats another story!!

There will be people far better placed on this forum than me to offer advice but one thing I would make sure I do is to write down everything that you feel could be relevant to the assesment, even if you just write it all in a scrap of paper, as you always think you will remember but its surprising how difficult it is when they are sat there asking you for examples and your mind just goes blank.

Daniel still has no diagnosis and is due to start high school next year. This is despite the fact I can see him getting worse in some ways as each day goes by. It certainly struck a cord when I read about your son starting to get angry as my son seems to be doing this more and more, he has always been a very placid child but recently he has become so much more argumentative, whether that is also his age I dont know but I am noticing big changes at the moment.

I also know how you feel about school, my sons school have been slack to say the least, I just get the impression from his current teacher that she thinks I am making a fuss about nothing, this is despite Daniel receiving funding for a teaching assistant part of the week, they will quite happily take the money for that but cant be bothered to give me any feedback on how he is doing. Everything I have done so far with CAMHS I have had to organise myself, I tell school about any appointments (although I dont know why I bother) as they wouldnt have a clue otherwise.

I have only been a member on here for a vey short time but have had some fantastic advice already and I am sure you will find it invaluable as I have. Sometimes even just knowing your not the only one goin through this helps, Im sure that Jan will soon be here for you aswell, I would spend as much time gathering anything together which may be of use, I even filmed Daniel and took that to the assesments, x

Thanks

God, its so overwhelming, sometimes you think mybe you should just bury your head in the sand and hope for the best, but hey if we dont be strong who will.

Hello :):robbie:

Enissa

hi, you will find a lot of help and support on this site, i am waiting for a dx of aspergers for my son and having a lot of problems with his school if it not been for the wonderful people on this site helping me letting me know what steps to take i dont know where i would have been, it is nice to know your not going mad and that there are people out there going through the same as you, >:D<<'>

Keep ranting !!! It tookl us 5 years and paying for loads of reports and badgering endless professionals until we got a diagnosis and a statement at school. You will make it I am sure, just keep hammering on every door. My MP gets updates from me every month or so, and I write to the head of Children's services about how bad our local LEA is every month for ages....He got so fed up he passed me onto someone else !! I don't care, my son like every child is important and will get the education he deserves..Keep going Regards. Spike

hi,

my parents have been trying to get me statemented for 15 years, theyve gone to everyone you can think of and more, now im 18 ive got to continue the fight, at current im on a waiting list to see a neurologist, which actually sounds quiet good, but ive had to go to another doctor, GP's arnt really that helpful are they?

keep fighting, i no i want this more than anything and itl be great to get it, just think like that!

Hi

I would crack down on the shool bullying even removing him from school to get them to do something. (my opinion only) I know from others that if that is not stopped Aspergers might be the least of your problems. I speak from knowledge of others.

Euan

Hi Everyone

Im new to this site but not new to the whole looking at every site on Autism especially Aspergers, comparing, self diaognosing my son whilst swimming against the tide of school telling me, thats a complete different child you dicribe than we see at school, However after last term me telling the about my son who is nealry 7 trying to stay awake all night so he could watch the time change and becoming completely obsessed by the time they gave in and refered him to go to panel for an ed pyshc appointment, the panel agreed with me after a lengthy letter he shoul;d have an assesment....its booked JAN 09!!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!

I need someone to tell me im not mad and thta I have justified reasonms for suspecting Aspergers....I know the school think im a lunatic, now He is being Bullied as well so they think I just like to cause problems I AM SICK OF THEM!!!!! - they are supposed to be professionals. They are professional IDIOTS!!! anyway after that little rant!! lol

He loves to copy the dictionary

Heis above average in MAths and Spelling and Writing/Reading

He becomes obsessed with various things like making lists of sums, or football boots brands, or teams or his current favourite songs of Abba (thanks to the mamma mia soundtrack being in the car lol!!)

He seems to get really stressed by these obsessions like he has to finish the task so if he needs to go to bed because its late I find it hard to get him to stop, quite often he will try to sneak it upstairs ARGGHHH

He finds new situations stressful and recently is howing this as anger which is quite new

His younger brother idolises him and he is finding it difficult to handle the atttension unless he initiates it, will get angry

If he does play with toys the game is more about setting them up than actually playing them!

He feels so anxious all the time he has no self confidence and this has not been helped by some littlesnot head picking on him at school ARGGGHHHH

He takes things very literly, example. I was telling him about a friend with EF students staying and Ithe conversation led to me saying she has to make sure they are safe and feed them, meaning provide meals he took me to mean that she actually had to spoon feed them(they were 15!!) he was shocked and couldnt get his head round it untill I explined at length what I ment.

He likes to know everyones age

he can seem quite rude because he is very blunt with people, matter of fact

These are just the basic as you will know i expect the list could go on forever

AM I MAD!!!!!

Please be honest does it sound like aspergers im convinced 98% GOd I hope im not mad What can i do to keep sane till Jan, He seems so depressed what can I do to help him???

Please help me x -- excuse all the spelling mistakes I was RANT typing lol! x