Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

well, tomorrow is the day we finally see a paed about L's eating

We have finally got somebody to listen to us, and understand that we are concerned, not only about how much L eats, but also the fact that he isn't putting on any weight for the amount he eats iykwim - he is age 11 for trouser length, but only a 7-8 for waist size).

We have been keeping a food diary in conjunction with his resi. placement and school. e.g. 2 days for L went like this last week...

Tuesday...

Breakfast - 2x weetabix + 2x toast

school dinner - pizza, wedges, peas + salad, seconds, jelly + fruit

Tea - chicken in BBQ sauce (3 fillets) + mash + peas + sweetcorn + meringues, fruit and cream

snacks - crisps + 2x fruit

Wednesday...

Breakfast - 2x weetabix + 2x toast

dinner - pork roast, roast potatoes, veg + salad + seconds, + flapjack

tea - kebab skewers, wedges + salad + seconds + prawn filos + magnums (yes, the magnums are written as plural in his food diary!)

snacks - 2x fruit + hot dog + 2 x biscuit

His keyworker wrote a note in the diary which reads... "portions in the ***** are large adult size and often requests seconds. Has a snack before bed but often states he feels hungry."

I feel sick just looking at the diary! Never mind if the food was actually put in front of me, it just seems soooo much!

Well, L has been subjected to a battery of blood tests today to check (amongst others) - Thyroid, Gluten tolerance and a genetic test for prader-willi syndrome. Because of the last test, the results won't be back for a few weeks. Dr. is going to write to us with the results. If all turn out to be negative, then we have to go along the line of his eating being a habit - although that doesn't explain why is isn't gaining any weight with the amount he is eating.

Urgh we have huge eating issues here, my son with aspergers is dreadfully fussy about his food and eats no fruit or veg- basically nothing that is healthy for him atall. My 3 year old (dx Autism) eats very well, completely the opposite will eat anything atall but he is constant, he has 4 slices of toast for breakfast and straight after is asking for his lunch!! he really would eat and eat if i let him, i am of the opinion however that he has an intolerance to something (dairy, lactose???) because after going off milk completely about 3 months ago he went from chronic constipation to severe diorreah and even sickness. He is also very bloated and i think he has a growly rumbley tummy which he equates eith hunger so he wants food all the time.He does drink a bit of milk at snack time at nursery but i am convinced it is something to dow ith that. We are going to ahve him tested by Sunderland Uni Autism team. Eilidh, my daughter is 18 months and dx with autism and she has NEVER let me know when she's hungry. She would quite happily go without all day if i let her (which of course i don't!!) but even then when i think she MUST be starving hungry she will have a few mouthfuls and then refuse anymore, very small amounts, not losing weight and seems to be ok according to HV but it does concern me.

The other thing is i have read that kids witgh ASD sometimes do not realise when they are full up (or in my daughters case the reverse could be true too) and will just keep eating, not sure if this is a sensory issue. Is there an OT you can discuss this with?

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone!!!

Cant really help but just to let you know you are not alone.

My sons been a night mare from day one never much interested in food.

Skinny little thing even now.

Over the last few months the list of things that he will eat has got smaller and smaller,BUT he has just started to talk about what is in food what goodness you need to be healthy and so on.

Last night for his tea he had 2 sausages and some sweetcorn, for him that is a monster meal.

And most mornings now he is eating a whole slice of toast.

Lets just hope he keeps it up.

my son eats more than his father, infact the only time i seem to see him is when he wants food. He will eata massive lunch and about half an hour later he is in the cuboard looking for more food. I have to stop him he will keep going until he is sick. And after he is sick he will want to eat again. I tell him no you have just been sick his replie is yes i know thats why im hungry. He just never seems to no when to stop. I dont think his brain is able to tell him that he is full. But my son is a very slim boy infact i have buy the clothes with adjustable waists and pull them right in. He should be very large but he is not?