Sign in to follow this  
Tally

Mad Morning

I decided to replace the lightbulbs in my outside lights. They have both gone, and both involve getting up on a ladder and unscrewing light fittings.

The ground by the back light slopes and my ladder didn't feel very safe, and then the screw was rusted in and I couldn't get it out. It started off with a philips head, and now has a round head, so I think it is probably dead now.

I opened up the front light and unscrewed the bulb. The bulb broke and the glass bit came off and the metal bit stayed in! I tried to unscrew the metal bit and it made a big pop and lots of pretty sparks! I got an electric shock and fell off my ladder. Mr Cat chose this point to slip out the front door and chase another cat across the road, narrowly missing a car. I got up off the floor and thanked the driver for stopping, before creeping up on Mr Cat so I could catch him without scaring him back into the road (he is a big softie indoors or in the back garden, but out the front he thinks I am a stranger and runs away from me . . . he is also very old and quite deaf, so creeping up on him is easy). I grabbed him and he lept up in the air and tried to attack me. Once I got him back inside he realised who I was and calmed down a bit.

Now I have switched the light off at the wall (which I thought it already was) and put tape on it so I CAN'T switch it on by mistake. I am hoping this will explain my electrical problems. I was starting to think the entire house needed rewiring! New outdoor lights will be much cheaper :)

Lessons for today:

1. Don't touch metal parts inside light fittings without switching the power off first!

2. The cat is painfully dim and cannot be trusted out the front.

tally in future turn the light circuit off at the fuse box itself to be sure!! If you doubt which circuit the light is wired into, then turn off the plug ring main too as some cowboys put external lights on that circuit.

Can we have an emoticon with smoke coming out of the top of the head :lol: - I can recall several times it may have been useful.... :lol::whistle:

A cottage I rented had the same problem - water was getting into the outside light fitting and causing a short circuit, tripping the electricity to the cottage. It took an electrician ages to find out the cause...

Always always always isolate the mains supply at the fuse box and if drilling into any walls use a sensor to locate the path of electrical wires (they're supposed to run in straight lines, but experience has taught me otherwise). And if your outside lights are halogen bulbs and you decide to replace them, remember that you mustn't touch the glass when putting them in - can't remember why, but I know it causes a problem of some sort... :unsure:

Yes, I should have turned off the electricity, but if I had I would never have found out that the light was switched on. If that has been the cause of my problems, I never would have found it! Although I did find that it is wired into the downstairs light circuit, because it tripped the switch :)

I can't remember either why you are not supposed to touch halogen bulbs (or car bulbs), but I did it once and it left a big black finger print on the bulb which cast a shadow when the light was switched on . . . on second thoughts, this is probably the reason why you are not supposed to touch them!

I can't remember either why you are not supposed to touch halogen bulbs (or car bulbs), but I did it once and it left a big black finger print on the bulb which cast a shadow when the light was switched on . . . on second thoughts, this is probably the reason why you are not supposed to touch them!

If you touch a halogen lamp with bare fingers then it will leave a grease/oil deposit, and as the lamp works at VERY high temperatures it will weaken it and decrease it's life span. If you do touch the lamp then you need to wipe it down with alcohol (not the stuff ya drink though)...

Plus car headlight bulbs can shatter at full heat if handled!!!!

A simple solution is handle with kitchen towel, that way you dont need to use alcohol wipes. The other effective solution for road side repairs is use the bottom of your shirt in same way as a kitchen towel. Might get dirt on shirt though!! :lol:

But of course you all carry cleaning wipes, gloves and spare bulbs in your cars dont you :lol:

My ex used to carry spare bulbs in the car. He thought it would be good if he ever got stopped for having a bulb gone, to be able to change it by the roadside. Well, of course that would be good, but even if I had the bulbs I would still not know how to change them!