bid

Really proud!

Auriel has worked part-time at our local branch of the egalitarian supermarket for a year or so...

And this weekend he starts his training to be a supervisor! :thumbs:

I'm just so proud of him :D:notworthy:

Boho :dance:

Bump bump bumpity bump!!

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

OMG, OMG, OMG...I can hardly put into words how I feel at the moment! :crying::D

Auriel was told that he has the potential to run his own store in a couple of years (they are little stores on residential estates)!! :o:o:o

I know it's not necessarily what he might want to do, but to have this type of public recognition of his potential is just overwhelming :thumbs::notworthy::clap:

He hasn't told anyone he has AS, so his abilities and social skills (dodgey handwriting and canary yellow mohawk notwithstanding :lol: ) have been acknowledged on their own merits! :wub: :wub:

I am beyond proud when I think of all the difficulties he has had to overcome through the years. All of you with little kids, who are living life one day at a time because things are so hard...that was us once, so don't ever, ever give up because our fantastic kids get there in the end! :dance:

Boho :crying::D

Edited by bid

well done!!!

how are his social/interpersonal skills??? He might want a bit of help with the practical side of it. I found the theory of managment etc fairly easy but putting into practice saying the right things to keep people on side much harder.

This is brilliant. :clap: Love good news. This is also the name of a positive website.

You must feel like you are on top of the world!

Thanks, guys :D

Warren, he can have his moments with his social skills! :lol:

But he copes with customers, tackling shoplifters and giving statements to the police, so he must be doing something right :thumbs:

I have worked in 3 chains of supermarkets, and many of the managers have had a severe lack of social skills, though very few of them appear to be on the autistic spectrum (though I have had my suspicions about one or two). The social interactions needed to deal with customer complaints are the kind that happen repeatedly and can be scripted and prepared more easily than the kind of social skills you need for a social occasion. A certain level of social skills are essential obviously, but you don't need to be everyone's friend to make a good manager. Dedication and a good understanding of the company's ethos are also very important. My dad has made a successful career in retail management and I believe he has AS.

Wow, bid, your post brought a lump to my throat. If only, in ten years or so, we could be where you and your family are now, we'd be over the mood. Well done all of you. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Thank you everyone :D

I think it has helped that we are talking about very little stores here. I couldn't see him in one of the really large chains, but here he is with a team of 3 or 4 in a manageable environment.

Just this recognition is enough for me, even if he never pursues it :thumbs:

It can be so hard when they are little, and literally bouncing off the walls, etc, etc, to ever imagine they will be able to make their way in the adult world...but now it looks as though he will get there! I wish I had known anyone with a young adult with AS back in those days (well, anyone with a child any age with AS! :rolleyes: ).

I know he still has his struggles, but just for now I'm going to enjoy this success :D

thats fantascic, well done Auriel

Well done to you both. I think Bid, that any mum would be proud of a son/daughter who received feedback like that from an employer at that age.

Knowing the history and how hard you have both worked makes it doubly sweet.

Congrats! :thumbs:

I think it has helped that we are talking about very little stores here. I couldn't see him in one of the really large chains, but here he is with a team of 3 or 4 in a manageable environment.

Thats good!!! at least that way hes in a team where any social difficulties will be forgiven as the team will know him well enough to respect him for his performance as a manager rather than social skills/tact etc. Bigger teams are less friendly in that sense as the bigger the team the more likely initial impressions seem to stick as well as gossip.

Fantastic - particularly being recognised on his own merits . :thumbs::thumbs:

It shows that there's a way forward in the adult world even if things go pearshaped at school early on. :)

K x