Sign in to follow this  
westie

NEW NAS BRANCH LAUNCHING IN ROTHERHAM (SOUTH YORKSHIRE)

Hi,

The NAS are lauching a new branch in Rotherham in October. The link gives more information about the launch (including an event at MAGNA in Rotherham where they are having a stall on 28th October), contact details and some information about a support group in Rotherham which will meet every alternate friday.

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=253&a=17720

Hi,

The NAS are lauching a new branch in Rotherham in October. The link gives more information about the launch (including an event at MAGNA in Rotherham where they are having a stall on 28th October), contact details and some information about a support group in Rotherham which will meet every alternate friday.

hi westie

that is great news for me, i will be going to the launch at magna, will not be taking ds because he cannot take magna last time we went they gave us money back due to him being extremly stressed, noise level and darkness for to uch for him, thanks for the info

theresa xx

That great i too will try to make the launch. We have been to Magna before and M copes Ok but just gets really hyper and then can,t sleep.

wish I was going but am away that week so unable to make it, hope you find it useful - would be a good opportunity for forum members in the area to meet up.

Hi theresa you won,t be able to miss me as i have bright red hair extensions at the front :thumbs: hope to meet you.

hi joybed

i forgot it was hols i am going to brum land for 4 days and i am going to miss it i am guttered, but i think what westie said about peeps from local areas having a meet is a great idea, if you ever in town and wont a cupper and chat pm me and we can meet up, please let me know how the launch gos and what you think of it, sorry not going to be they.

theresa xx

hi westie

that is great news for me, i will be going to the launch at magna, will not be taking ds because he cannot take magna last time we went they gave us money back due to him being extremly stressed, noise level and darkness for to uch for him, thanks for the info

theresa xx

Im glad you mentioned this. I am from Sheffield and considered taking our lad to Magna next week, but Ive realised now that the noise level would be a real issue.

Thanks!

Im glad you mentioned this. I am from Sheffield and considered taking our lad to Magna next week, but Ive realised now that the noise level would be a real issue.

Thanks!

hi peaches

i would defo recommend not to take your lad if he is sensitive to noise, my little had compelte meltdown in there, he may be a bit better now as he is a bit older but would rather not put him in that situation again,

takecare

theresa xx

I have PM'd Westie, but would be very grateful if you could get in touch if you know what the services are like in Rotheram for children with autism. We are contemplating a move there from Sheffield, where we have just received a diagnosis. :rolleyes:

Hi,

Also, the link has now changed to different news. Could you provide me with info about the NAS branch in Rotherham please?

Hi Peaches. The info below is taken from a useful NAS info. directory that someone on the earlybird course gave me:

NAS Rotherham Branch

www.autism.org.uk

Formerly Actively Supporting ASD Parents (ASAP) the branch meets every other friday from 12.30 to 2pm. The meetings are for parents and carers of children who have a diagnosis of an ASD, focusing on Asperger syndrome and high functioning autism. The members of the group help and support each other and share experiences. Speakers are invited to attend the meetings.

Covers Rotherham age 0 to 18

Cheryl Wilson, secretary

Rotherham@nas.org.uk

Tel. 01709 320173

Hi. Just an update. I managed to attend a meeting yesterday at the Rotherham branch, which is held at Meadows Children's centre, Catcliffe (near Catcliffe Primary school)

The meetings now start at 1pm to 2.30pm (run each fortnight, next one 27th March) - not 12.30 as I had read previously - I turned up really early, not having been bright enough to ring and enquire beforehand to confirm start time!

But it was well worth attending as I met a number of other parents, the branch co-ordinators were really nice and gave out some useful info. and seemed to really be wanting to raise awareness of autism in the area and have a number of plans to help(library where parents can loan books, are hoping to have a system for loaning equipment to try on your child before you invest in what can be expensive items which may not work :thumbs: HOW BRILL IS THAT!)

I met a couple of young men with Asperger syndrome who also attended the group, and this was great for me as I cant say I have ever met anyone of that age with the condition and it was interesting to learn about their experiences, and how they are helping others.

It gave the people attending the chance to air any particular issues they were experience and get advice and support from the people running the group and other parents who had possibly been through similar (for example listening to some of the parents made me again aware of how careful I must be to ensure I select correct secondary and ensure his statement reflects accurately what his needs will be or it could so easily go pear shaped, plus because it was local area I knew it could be same or similar for me as well!)

They are getting someone in at next meeting to talk about eating issues and they asked everyone for suggestions about future speakers/ issues that they could ask someone to come in to discuss and also told us about some NAS HELP courses they are hoping to run in the area

So I would recommend anyone in the area to attend if you can, I am def. going to try and go as often as I can! :clap::clap:

Edited by westie

They are branch officers by the way, not branch co-ordinators. Knew I had the title wrong but cant seem to edit my post now!

hi westie

i am going to ask work tomorrow to see if they will let me off an hr early if they do i will see you there thanks for the info

theresa x

Hi. Just an update. I managed to attend a meeting yesterday at the Rotherham branch, which is held at Meadows Children's centre, Catcliffe (near Catcliffe Primary school)

The meetings now start at 1pm to 2.30pm (run each fortnight during term time only, next one 27th March) - not 12.30 as I had read previously - I turned up really early, not having been bright enough to ring and enquire beforehand to confirm start time!

But it was well worth attending as I met a number of other parents, the branch co-ordinators were really nice and gave out some useful info. and seemed to really be wanting to raise awareness of autism in the area and have a number of plans to help(library where parents can loan books, are hoping to have a system for loaning equipment to try on your child before you invest in what can be expensive items which may not work :thumbs: HOW BRILL IS THAT!)

I met a couple of young men with Asperger syndrome who also attended the group, and this was great for me as I cant say I have ever met anyone of that age with the condition and it was interesting to learn about their experiences, and how they are helping others.

It gave the people attending the chance to air any particular issues they were experience and get advice and support from the people running the group and other parents who had possibly been through similar (for example listening to some of the parents made me again aware of how careful I must be to ensure I select correct secondary and ensure his statement reflects accurately what his needs will be or it could so easily go pear shaped, plus because it was local area I knew it could be same or similar for me as well!)

They are getting someone in soon to talk about eating issues and they asked everyone for suggestions about future speakers/ issues that they could ask someone to come in to discuss and also told us about some NAS HELP courses they are hoping to run in the area

So I would recommend anyone in the area to attend if you can, I am def. going to try and go as often as I can! :clap::clap: