Sign in to follow this  
michbooth

ECZEMA

Hi I am new to this forum. I have an AS son who has been on GFCF diet for 7 weeks and has developed severe eczema, even though he hadn't had it much before and he hasn't had any new foods. I have asked others and they say it could be toxins coming out. Has anyone else had a similar reaction to the diet? I have tried hemp oil and coconut oil but it just seems to be getting worse. The dietician said not to worry too much but I just need to know that I am doing all that I can to help my son. Thanks, Michelle :hypno:

Hiya!

My NT daughter suffers with ezcema around her ears, I took her to the gp as it was so nasty looking and she was prescribied FUCIBET cream.

Hope this helps :)

I know it doesnt help but the eczema could be a coincidence :/

Unless he is easting more of another food instead of the gluten based foods, that he could also becoming sensitive to?

My sons suffered from head to toe excema for years, which is now severe.

Try to keep him cool, and in cotton clothes, and try adding oatmeal to the bathwater, I find traditional remedies help better than chemical, which only damage the skin over time and go through to the bloodstream.

Put the oats in an old pair of tights and hold under the hot tap, water will go milky, if hes on a gluten free diet dont let him drink it! LOL

Also try getting him out in the sun alot, ive found UV light works a treat, also he becomes better when hes been to the seaside splashing in the sea (saltwater also tends to dry up wet sore excema and helps it heal)

Thats just my little bit of input, I hope he gets better its a horrible condition :/

Libs xxx

It could be that the gluten and casein intolerance was masking another food intolerence which is now showing. Third on the list is soya. Are you giving a lot more of this? Then again, it could be the toxins.

I presume you are keeping a food and behaviour diary which will help make the link. I always note down change in shampoos and washing powders, etc too.

Although the gluten content is quite low in oats, it can be absorbed through the skin. There are also quite a lot of milk products in bubble bath. I would just bathe in seasalt baths (normal salt has an additive to make is flow easier). You can get GFCF products at the health food shop (Green People is one brand).

And what about a homeopathic cream? Browse the Ainsworths site for some ideas.

Hi

Thanks for the suggestions. I have actually noticed that since the weather has been sunnier, Callum's eczema has improved a bit. I am due to see a dietician again shortly for some advice. When I last saw her she said not to remove anything else from the gf/cf diet as he was already coping with enough change. She did also agree that it could be toxins coming out.

Callum has been on the gf/cf diet now for 4 months but we have seen no improvement as yet. We will keep at it though as I know it can take 8 months for all the toxins to come out.

If all else fails we will have to push the doc again for allergy testing.

Thanks again

Mich :)

Nathan on beginning puberty began to break out with eczema at 10; by 11 he was under a consultant dermatologist.

I cannot comment on the GFCF diet as a cause of eczema after seven weeks. I can tell you that the pollen count is horrendous this year and both my lads and elder daughter are scratching like crazy.

Both my two have used wet wraps and icthapaste bandages with liberal amounts of emoillants. I found this reduced the need for constant heavy use of strong steroids.

Nathan swears by Dead Sea Salt baths to mimic the sea water which he found helpful even with badly infected eczema.

Its not always a food intolerance that causes an eczema flare-up.

Stress, heat, air bourne allergies can do so too.

I threw out all carpets, everything we have is now either machine washable or easily wipeable as dustmites where a source of Nathans sore skin as is pollen.

Nathans skin was a constant ozzing infected ###### mess and so for us it was worthwhile doing this.

Be VERY careful with ingrediants in toiletries...some ARE gluten or milk protein based and hidden.

I found THAT out the hard way with Sam.

Change to a washing powder like filletti for his clothing and bedlinen if he is very sore. I found ecover non bio liquid the best for my two but it is trial and error to find what suits your child.

If this ever becomes more than a trasistory problem I recommend this company. Their clothes withstood Sam when he was tearing his skin off from a milk allergy and Nathan found them very soft and liked the lack of seams.

http://www.eczemaclothing.com/

The eczema society is also a very good source of information on getting control of eczema rather than it controlling you.

http://www.eczema.org/

I sincerly hope that you manage to locate the cause and help your son get this under control as soon as is humanly possible. Poor lad.