Tally

Social Group

I have finally tracked down a local social group for people with learning disabilities, mental health problems or sensory impairments. They have proved very elusive. They meet monthly and I am going to their next meeting next week! I hope I enjoy it and they will let me come again.

great! hope you enjoy it.

Just dont burp or pick your nose & I'm sure they'll let you back again! :lol:

I was going to say somthing very similar :lol:

Hope you have fun Tally and to add to what Pearl said, don't spit on the floor or make any bad smells and I'm sure they'll let you come back :lol:

Flo' :D

ive been too 2 social groups 1 was with serverly disabled adults (and im high functioning) and the other i got asked out!!, so you never no wot might happen!

Best of luck, hope it goes well :)

I went today, but I'm not sure it is going to work out for me. It is a craft group, and we were making Christmas cards.

I didn't fart though :)

All the other people were driven there and actually brought in to the venue by a carer, and then the carer came back inside to collect them afterwards. They all live full time in care homes. The organiser asked me a few questions and asked where I live. When I gave a private address and not a care home she thought I lived with my parents and was shocked that I lived by myself. I didn't admit that I have a job. I felt a bit of a fraud really.

It brought home to me the meaninglessness of the term "high-functioning," because although I clearly manage some aspects of my life far better than the others, they all managed the group better and asked for help and for people to pass them things, which is something I could not do.

Everyone sat and worked in isolation. There were almost as many volunteers as members, and most people had a volunteer sit with them and guide them the entire time. The volunteers did not facilitate conversation and none really took place, so my hopes of making new friends there might not really work out. All of the members were far older than me too and that added to me feeling completely out of place.

Next month is their Christmas dinner and I am going to go to that. It might be more sociable. Plus it's only a fiver and there is trout on offer and I wouldn't know how to cook trout for myself! Maybe there will be a member nearer to my age who wasn't there today.

They have done some bigger projects in the past, including a seven foot tapestry which is going up in the new market hall. Maybe if we do something similar in the future I will be able to feel more involved.