Sign in to follow this  
Salbaggio

Hello - new to forum - hold my hand?

Hello

After some discussions with a rather wonderful teacher who has taken the time to notice my bright little boy, we have all concluded that we believe my 5 year old has Aspergers Syndrome. She has discussed the matter with the school's SENCO and we are just waiting for more information as to where to go from here really.

I have been doing a lot of reading and in the last 2 weeks think that I have come to understand my son so much better already. My heart breaks to think of the times that I have been embarressed at his behaviour at social gatherings, his pleadings to go home, his "rudeness".

I am like a little sponge at the moment and just want to learn how to help him deal with situations better, how to help him cope with life's anxieties.

So, hello everybody, can I sneak in and occassionaly ask for my hand to be held whilst this story unfolds.

Thanks

Sally

Hi Sally

Welcome to the forum! >:D<<'> >:D<

I'm really glad that you've come across an enlightened teacher and that things are already progressing. I'm sure you'll find some helpful advice and support here. (I can't truly empathise as I don't have kiddywinks, just an AS husband - but he's proof that the future is not all bleak, and that was without recognition or diagnosis as a child, so your boy should have a head start).

Take care,

Billabong

Hello, Sally, and welcome :thumbs:

I have a 5 year old son with High-functioning Autism (diagnosed March '07) and a boy of 10 who has no ASD.

This forum has been a great help to me and my family - I'm sure you'll find the same.

Nicky >:D<<'>

Hi Sally,

Welcome to the forum. >:D<<'> Not been here long myself but have found everyone very helpful and welcoming. I have a 10 yr old boy with Aspergers and have read many books on the subject and am trying my best to understand and support him. We have had our ups and downs but I have found the more you can understand about AS the more you can help them to try to cope in a very strange and scary world.

Any questions just post and I'm sure you'll get lots of helpful advice... :thumbs:

good luck in your journey of discovery!

Cheryl

Hi Sally, and welcome to the forum.

I was diagnosed with AS last year aged 25. It's a confusing world, but the more people understand me, the more they can help.

If you join the NAS, they will send you a regular magazine which also includes a list of book recommendations. You might find books for your particular circumstances there.

Thank you everybody for the lovely welcome!

My husbands cousin has been diagnosed with AS as an adult and I wonder if he has ever found this forum, I think it would be great for him. I haven't joined NAS yet as we don't have our diagnosis yet and thought it would be best to wait.

Hello

After some discussions with a rather wonderful teacher who has taken the time to notice my bright little boy, we have all concluded that we believe my 5 year old has Aspergers Syndrome. She has discussed the matter with the school's SENCO and we are just waiting for more information as to where to go from here really.

I have been doing a lot of reading and in the last 2 weeks think that I have come to understand my son so much better already. My heart breaks to think of the times that I have been embarressed at his behaviour at social gatherings, his pleadings to go home, his "rudeness".

I am like a little sponge at the moment and just want to learn how to help him deal with situations better, how to help him cope with life's anxieties.

So, hello everybody, can I sneak in and occassionaly ask for my hand to be held whilst this story unfolds.

Thanks

Sally

Welcome Sally.I am sure you will find plenty of people here who will hold your hand.

I have been here for two years and have Ben who obtained an AS Dx three weeks ago. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Karen.

Hi. When you get your diagnosis have a look at getting on the Help! programme run by the NAS. It is a support group for people who have someone who has just got a diagnosis and was a really great help to us.

I have not long found this forum but have found it a great source of info, good luck.

Spike P.

Hi there,

Had to reply as your young chap sounds just like mine! He's 4 1/2, diagnosed in June. It was a strange relief to find that all the many embarrassing situations I'd been in and pressurized environments I'd exposed him to, desperate for him to "fit in" , weren't just a result of my failed parenting style or naughty child! I'd wish for him that this wasn't so, but at least now I can find answers and hope rather than flailing around in a sea of "What am I doing wrong with this child???!!!" I hope you will too!

I wish you the best of luck on your journey!

Warmest wishes

Mandy B

Welcome Sally. It's ten years since I was in your position but it's still very fresh in my mind. Good luck with everything at school and ask away if you have any questions. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~