Sign in to follow this  
jools

letter to school

I am writing a letter to the head teacher asking when my sons statemented hours will be fully implemented. so far only 8 of the 10 hrs are being provided.

i will be taking the letter in tomorrow and want to put a date on by which i want a reply.

i was going to give 2 weeks. do you think this is too much or about right?

Hi.I think the best option might be to ask for a copy of the school complaints procedure.If you follow the procedure then you will be able to escalate the complaint to the next level after the time specified in the complaints procedure has lapsed.

We made a complaint a few weeks ago and that is what we attempted to do.Unfortunately the school does not have a complaints procedure . :whistle::whistle::whistle::wallbash: I kid you not.In our case in the abscence of a procedure to follow our LEA suggested that we allow 10 days.However if the school have a procedure you will need to show you have followed it.

An alternative option worth considering might be to write to the LEA regarding the lack of provision being given in line with the Statement of SEN if you have one.That might be a quicker option to get some results.Or you could do both at the same time.Karen.

I don't think there is any harm giving them a time scale to reply to your letter you are not asking for the hours to be implemented by that time but when do they intend to implement them, I would give them 7 days to respond, then review their reply.

Clare x x x

We have also written letters to the LEA giving them a two week time span for a reply to our letter.

If I was you I would send the letter to the school and pp a copy of the letter to the LEA.

Its amazing how quick things work when the school realise you are prepared to write letters and copy different people from different organisations into the letter. It means what is happening in school is made known to the LEA department.

DON'T FORGET IF IT IS NOT DOCUMENTED THAN IT DID NOT HAPPEN. So I am very in favour of writing letters to get our children what they need.

I havent got an answer, but I think your suggestion is a really good idea (the letter with time frame) and wanted to say thanks, cos I will might need to do the same soon.

Good luck!

i rang parent partnership who suggested sending letter into school with a date of next friday, which i did.

i didn't send copy to lea but if no reply then i will aswell as asking school for a copy of complaints procedure.

thanks for the advice.

you are all fab!

i rang parent partnership who suggested sending letter into school with a date of next friday, which i did.

i didn't send copy to lea but if no reply then i will aswell as asking school for a copy of complaints procedure.

thanks for the advice.

you are all fab!

>:D<<'> It is just very unfortunate that I have so much personal experience that I have advice to give.

Today I would like to be able to talk to people about wine tasting or fine food......rather than having so much knowledge regarding how to complain to schools and LEAs. :tearful::whistle: Karen.

i had a phone call last night from the senco. head teacher has passed letter to her.

she has asked me to go in today to discuss his new provisional timetable and iep targets.

will let you know what happens!

well the meeting went well in that he is now getting his 10hrs support!

some of the support is coming from an additional teacher being with him rather than a teaching assistant due to staff shortages but i don't care. he needs support from someone and if that has to be a teacher then so be it.

i'm sure my name will be mud but i don't care about that either.....i've learnt to grow thick skin!!