Kevin A

Aspies better looking

I read somewhere that people with Aspergers were often described as having Angelic faces and tending to be more attractive, at least facially, than the general population.

I was wondering regarding the results of these findings if any of you think that this appears to be empirically true for you in terms of yourself and those you know who have AS.

I would be very interested to hear everyone's opinion on this.

Seriously, I don't know about better looking, but I think I look younger than my age, and people often say they find it hard to believe I have 4 kids (I was of course a child bride ;):lol: ).

eek!

Bid :)

Edited by bid

Not me :(

But I do look much younger than I am and am regularly asked for ID to buy things/go to some pubs etc (when my sister who is 8 years younger than me and NT isn't...)

I would say there is some truth in it, I worked with autisic children for many years, and most of them were angelic looking, specially the boys! beautiful little faces. Enid

My AS husband was a beautiful-looking little boy. I've also read that AS children tend to have slightly larger than usual heads, which DH seemed to have (just going by the photos) - but of course, he would tell me, that is just the extra braininess being fitted in. :lol:

I wouldn't say that people with ASDs are better or worse looking as a rule. Of course my dd is the exception, but that's because I am biased of course :dance:

My ds is 9 but looks about 6 max he has a very young babylike face n always looks like butter wouldnt melt!!!!

It has been documented a number of times that children and maybe adult with autism have slightly larger head that average.

One of the things that make babies seem so cute to us is the shape and size of their face compared to adults.It is genetically wired into us to find babies cute and so trigger a protective mode.

It could be something to do with that.

I started off "Cute", don't know what went wrong along the way.

I have only ever met one really ugly person,(A friend of a friend of my mothers) I don't mean unattractive I mean ugly and I cant tell you what it was that made this person seem so ugly only that the first time I met her It took my breath away I mean I could not speak.

Edited by chris54

Am I weird in that I have a really small head? It is incredibly difficult to find an adult hat in my size, I found a hat eventually one day and when I got home looked at the label it said ages 8-10 :lol:

I read somewhere that people with Aspergers were often described as having Angelic faces and tending to be more attractive, at least facially, than the general population.

I was wondering regarding the results of these findings if any of you think that this appears to be empirically true for you in terms of yourself and those you know who have AS.

I would be very interested to hear everyone's opinion on this.

No, it's absolute myth. My son is absolutely garjuss, but that's just genetics (and probably a bit of parental pride too) but autistic people generally run the gamut from pug-fuggly to drop dead garjuss; just like normal people... :)

[NB: the italics emphasise that i am joking, but should also be taken as an indication that I find this type of stereotyping, in general terms, very harmful. Our children - whether luck of the draw has given us a PF or DDG model - are people first and foremost, and anything that detracts from that view by emphasising 'special' as 'other' is undermining].

Children with autism often look distant or 'vague', and this otherworldliness is added to by things like no eye contact and poor attention skills. What looks 'sweet' in a four year old is judged very differently (negatively and unfairly) in adults. Ho hum.

NB: beauty is in the eye of the beholder (get it out with optrex!) and 'tis only skin deep.

:D

i do say my son looks so angelic on the outside but a devil on the inside, his big blue eyes and blonde hair and a smile to melt your heart, i think thats why people are shocked when he does play up.

Am I weird in that I have a really small head? It is incredibly difficult to find an adult hat in my size, I found a hat eventually one day and when I got home looked at the label it said ages 8-10 :lol:

No, it just means you have a super-evolved brain that is compact. And I guess you have the advantage of cheaper hats if they're children's. Be careful not to wear pixie-hats though. :lol: :lol:

Well, I think my head is pretty normal :unsure::lol:

I have seen a group of piccies of AS adults and I thought they all had a particular 'look'...that seemed consistent whether they were PF or DDG...

(That Kellyanne looks just like Betty Boop, ya know ;):lol: )

Edited by bid

I think so, my DS is so good looking and lovely. People often say to me what good looking and lovely lad he is.

oooh that felt so good to tell you all. :whistle: :whistle:

Edited by Diane

DS was beautiful when he was little...

It's a bit difficult to tell now, what with the canary yellow mohawk, the tattoo and his latest fashion statement...a red silk tie!! :o:lol::lol::lol::clap:

Edited by bid

I think all little kids, and especially toddlers, are adorable in their own way. I agree with BD, though, really. My lad has always had a vulnerable air about him that makes him attractive and makes other wants to protect him. He was a gorgeous little boy, but at nearly 15 he has a mono-brow, a shadow of a moustache and crooked teeth that need braces that he won't agree to, so not so adorable! :whistle: He still has the vague, vulnerable air that continues to make him very appealing and sweet though. :wub:

~ Mel ~

It's a bit difficult to tell now, what with the canary yellow mohawk...

Absolutely priceless...

Big A has just collected his little brother D (7) from school as I was getting the cat from the vet.

Apparently one little boy asked why he had strange hair...

To which D replied 'It's not his fault! He has Special Needs!!'

:lol::lol::clap::notworthy::lol::lol:

Boho :lol:

I have read this too and think I posted similar a few years ago when I read it. I have to say that I think Logie is gorgeous - he's a little quirky though. But we do get comments on his appearance everywhere we go. He has blond hair and stunning blue eyes that haven't dulled at all as he's getting older. He does look very angelic but has a mean mischeiveous glint when he grins lol

Lynne x

Absolutely priceless...

Big A has just collected his little brother D (7) from school as I was getting the cat from the vet.

Apparently one little boy asked why he had strange hair...

To which D replied 'It's not his fault! He has Special Needs!!'

:lol::lol::clap::notworthy::lol::lol:

Boho :lol:

Whoops.....this did so make me chuckle !

There is one statement that keeps coming up in everyones posts ...

"big blue eyes"

DD has big blue eyes and is Asperger's. Her NT brother has brown eyes. DGS has big blue eyes and is likely Asperger's or ASD. They both started out blonde but their hair has gone darker as they have got older.

Is there an aspie with brown eyes, just to disprove the point please?

Edited by peaches

There is one statement that keeps coming up in everyones posts ...

"big blue eyes"

DD has big blue eyes and is Asperger's. Her NT brother has brown eyes. DGS has big blue eyes and is likely Asperger's or ASD. They both started out blonde but their hair has gone darker as they have got older.

Is there an aspie with brown eyes, just to disprove the point please?

Yup. Both my kids have got brown eyes.

I have dark brown hair and brownish-greenish-greyish eyes, not a hint of blue. And no, you cannot look at them to check! :lol:

My lad has piercing blue eyes n very pale skin and brown hair...he has romany gypsy blood in him so has that kinda look about him.

Love it Bid! :lol::thumbs::notworthy:

Why, yes, of course we're much more beautiful that the average NT - both me and my son are simply stunning............................. ;)

No, seriously. ASD kids and ASD adults look exactly as they should - completely individual. Some angelic, pretty, whimsical......some, ermmmm, not! :lol:

I agree (much as it pains me.......... :o:devil: ) with BD. My son, at nine, with blonde hair and big blue eyes (complete with very long black eye lashes)...looks delightful - especially when zone'ing out - staring into space and looking all thoughtful and interesting........... Me, at not nine... same blue eyes, same blonde hair, same zone'ing out expression.... would be more likely to be sectioned that "oooooooed how cute" at, lol! ;)

DD (Aspergers) is blue eyed. DS (Aspergers) is brown eyed. Considering their parentage I don't think that they look too bad. DD has from a very young age been told by strangers that he looks like Harry Potter ( everywhere we went particularly when he was about 7-8). Even once a while back when we were in Madame Tussauds ( by then being a cool teenager this had lost its appeal). I have to say he recently played a girl in a play at school play and he did come up lovely with make-up.

my son is beautiful! i am of course biased but he really is a very handsome boy with the biggest brightest smile which melts my heart and never fails to make me smile.

sonj :rolleyes:

I have a handsome blue eyed blond haired boy - ASD and a handsome dark haired brown eyed olive skinned (God knows where that came from) NT girl.

I think many autistic children do have a certain quality about them. Whether its their vulnerability - or what I don't know. I think they often have charisma too - that Je ne sais quoi.

Midwitch cuckoos? ;)

My DS -11 & AS has often been complemented on his good looks. Since he was in Yr 4 he has collected swooning girls who ring, text and email him. He has no idea how to handle this attention - which does worry me as I would hate for some of these girls to be damaged for life! I've seen messages on the computer that accuse him of avoiding certain girls :tearful: Someone once said to me that he had a lovely 'dreamy' look about him which is similar to other comments so perhaps this is what makes them attractive?

I think it's the unworldliness that makes so many children with ASD attractive.

I work with children who have severe Autism (non verbal teens) and several of them are just gorgeous! Also rather large headed!!

My son has a whopping head (seriously..been 100th centile since birth) and ASD..curious!

I like to think he is very handsome but his hair went from dead straight to afro 6 months ago when he hit puberty so now he is a bit WILD LOL

Julesx