CEJesson

Good Disability related films

Hi all,

Any suggestions for ANY good disability related films ?

I am proposing we have films in week of 17-23rd this month (disability awareness week) on this theme.

Thanks

I have the following for autism/aspergers:

Snow Cake

After Thomas (Documentary)

Hi all,

Any suggestions for ANY good disability related films ?

I am proposing we have films in week of 17-23rd this month (disability awareness week) on this theme.

Thanks

I have the following for autism/aspergers:

Snow Cake

After Thomas (Documentary)

Hello..just went on net and found the following films that may be of help to you :)

Rainman....little man tate....whats eating gilbert grape....forrest gump...under the piano...i am sam...autism the musical...her name is sabine...i havent viewed all of these myself, but from the search i put it, i pressume they are what you are looking for.

good luck!

Julieanne xx

Hi

'After Thomas' was shown on TV a while ago and is available on DVD. It was about a couple who have an autistic son. Have to say I thought it was fantastic. I cried during the first five minutes because there was so much of it that I've went through. I thought it was true to life without being sensationalist. I thought it was an incredibly moving film, whilst at the same time insightful for other people who perhaps know little about autism.

Caroline.

Children of a Lesser God is fab. 80s film but stands the test of time. Lovely bolshy deaf girl in leading role. She still pops up in programmes, I've seen her in the West Wing & My Name is Earl.

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions, I have submitted Rain Man, Snow Cake and My Left Foot as the three films I wish the student cinema to enquire about. My personal preferences are the latter 2.

The confirmed film is Snow Cake, which is a bonus as it is around Autism, but also it had a cheaper licence cost than the others, and with this being an extra event, I had to get the best film within the given budget. I've watched this film twice and thoroughly loved it.

It will be shown this coming Monday at 7.30pm in our cinema.

Edited by CEJesson

Snow Cake is a very good choice :thumbs: - it 'lives' permanently by my DVD player along with I am Sam, so I would recommend either of those. I don't know if you want other suggestions, or how broadly you are defining disability, but I would also strongly recommend A Beautiful Mind which deals with schizophrenia.

I understand the reasoning behind views that autism is not a disability, but it is for our campaign week because it makes it more complicated for us to get our message across, if we start saying 'disability awareness week + autism and dyslexia". However, one of our methods is to have a pin board/flip chart for people to answer our question on whether they think certain conditions are a disability or not. Also, I use the Disability services and have DSA, so there are many legal things I am connected to that class me as disabled.

Edited by CEJesson

I understand the reasoning behind views that autism is not a disability, but it is for our campaign week because it makes it more complicated for us to get our message across, if we start saying 'disability awareness week + autism and dyslexia". However, one of our methods is to have a pin board/flip chart for people to answer our question on whether they think certain conditions are a disability or not. Also, I use the Disability services and have DSA, so there are many legal things I am connected to that class me as disabled.

I usually feel very strongly about this term personally, not least because it suggests myself as a parent is disabled too. My deafness is now my norm too ! I see a very distinct difference between support, and empowerment for example, which I do not believe are always the same thing. I get DLA too ! but that would be my right anyway because the idea is to try and help fill gaps mainstream doesn't. I'd happily give it back once the mainstream sorts itself out ! Who disables whom ? (There you go, and English grammar lesson too :thumbs: ) We must keep fighting for the acceptance of our children, it's their right too...

Can't believe Mozart and the Whale has not been mooted - imo an excellent portrayal of two types of AS personality... and all wrapped up in a Hollywood relationship-drama type package (i.e. accessible).