Sign in to follow this  
hazma

Appealing exclusions

yes we wrote complaining to governors but it was not successful so we took it to tribunal for discrimination against our sons disability and we won.

There is excellent advice on exclusions on www.ipsea.org.uk.

I managed to avoid my son being excluded, as I told the Head to read the exclusions guidelines before making a decision. She then changed her mind.

Exclusions are sometimes the only way a school can get the LA to take notice and find a more appropriate placement for a child. It is not nice to have an exclusion on your child's record, but if it works for the best.....

I have heard of many exclusions that were only necessary because the child's needs were not being met.

Hi, Yes I appealed and lost, both the governors and tribunal, I was straggered at the time as I really could not see how they came to their decision. Enid

Yes, in my son's 2nd mainstream setting he was excluded, on his integration meeting after the exclusion things got bad, he was involved in the meeting and that was when they permanently excluded him. I appealed to the school governors and lost. I then appealed to the independent panel and won, although I did state my son would not go back to that school.

The panel concluded that he shouldn't have been excluded in the first instance, that the school had previous correspondence from our out-reach team by way of risk assessments and behaviour programmes prior to son starting the school that son would react badly to threats. The TA made a threat to him to which he reacted badly too. It wasn't really the TA's fault, she used an approach that many teachers and TA's may use with a child, unfortunately it was the wrong one for my son.

If you go to the school governors and appeal and they agree with the schools decision it is definitely worth appealing to an independent panel if you feel that the exclusion isn't fair. Occasionally the governors do side with the schools so if you are willing to challenge it then go for it. What I would say though is make sure you have evidence to show how the school could of reacted differently to the way they did react and if the school were aware your child would react in that way also what support could of been put in place to support the child.

Good luck

Thanks for all your replies,sounds as though most governers will close ranks with the school :( Wont go into whole story but our Son 12 is aspergers and adhd.Just recently dx in June.Ed psych been into school 2 times written 2 reports full of strategies,none of which the school has implemented.We have been in and out of school for meetings written letters but situation continues,teachers are not informed of his needs or difficulties,senco is as much use as a chocolate t-pot,and their way of dealing with him is to isolate him,berate him,single him out,question his dx,tell him to grow up,ect,ect,ect. :angry: wednesday,before half term he came home and soon after I recieved a phonecall from head saying he had,had a bad day completely disrupted his lessons.When I asked which lessons it turned out to be 2 lessons he had run out of and hidden.Other 3 lessons were perfect.I was told that the following day he would miss the sports event,all the other children were going to school in their p.e kit,but he was to come in his school uniform,to the heads office for a formal meeting to re-sign the home school agreement,after which he would spend the whole day in isolation,catching up on work of previous day.Well after coming of the phone I spoke to my son (or tried to)and he got himself into such a state that lasted long into the night. :crying: As a result of that I knew it would be disastrous to let him attend school the following day.That was Thursday,On friday morning recieved a letter informing us that he was excluded for a period of 2 days.Luckily I had kept him home Fri as the letter came after he should have left for school.I dont feel the head has followed any guidelines.Ive never appealed an exclusion before but feel that I must this time.

I think you need to put this complaint in writing hazma, why should it go on your sons record when schoolnis not acting properly

You need to speak to ipsea. I don't think you can appeal exclusions under 5 days, but it would definitiely be worth making an appointment to go in and discuss this with the Head of Year or Head. Are your Parent Partnership any good (contacted via the LA but are independent) - they could help you sort this out.

Whatever you do, write up what was discussed and what they said they would do, and send them a copy, so you have evidence for the future.

I wrote a 2 sided "all about x" letter to each teacher (adapted to the subject), detailing his problems and strategies that would help, and the teachers said it did help.