Sign in to follow this  
Canopus

English or British?

A common question asked on forms is what is your nationality. Is there anything wrong with saying you are English rather than British? More than once I have annoyed people whenever I put English as my nationality on forms.

I put British because I'm English/Welsh mixed and that just gets complex, but I don't see anything wrong with putting English.

I had an interesting form yesterday which had about 10 options for ethnicity - I was about to tick the other box and write white thinking it must be an oversight after reading the list several times and not feeling I fitted anywhere, until I found European. I know I am European, but it doesn't feel right to call myself that plus I've never thought of European as an ethnicity. :unsure:

I put British simply because I have such a mixed background. I don't mind using either though and if people want to use english, welsh, scottish or whatever thats up to them.

nationality is linked to where you were born so technically its british if you were born in the UK, but english is also fine when within the uk because obviously you could also have been welsh, scottish or irish british. its not the same as ethnic origin, so who your parents/grandparents are doesn't matter at all. this all applies unless you're one of those fancy people who have assumed a new nationality, but thats far too complicated!

in my experience people get upset when you say English because they think it suggests you think that you're better because you're english (i had this conversation while at university in wales)

I find it amusing that someone on my course last year had a go at me about saying that I'm english yet the whole year we heard nothing but how much she loves wales and that she is welsh. :wacko:

Part of the problem is that attitudes prevail saying Scottish, Welsh, Ulster, and Irish nationalism is separatist but English nationalism is always racist.

Thousands of Ulster folk get away with saying their nationality is Irish when legally Irish means from Southern Ireland and not Northern Ireland.

Nationality and ethnicity are two completely different things. Many forms have Irish on their list of ethnicities but don't have a (white) British simply classifying it as white or white European.

I find it amusing that someone on my course last year had a go at me about saying that I'm english yet the whole year we heard nothing but how much she loves wales and that she is welsh. :wacko:

yeah... i got a lot of that. i was completely out of order for commenting that it was unfair that welsh students get �1000 a year extra just for being welsh... but they're allowed to complain all they like about the english cos we're all snobs who force these other upstanding nations into being our lesser (but very costly) partners :whistle: this was usually followed by much muttering about welsh coal mines

I think that my ethnic origins are Kentish. My fathers family lived in Kent for generations. It was only with the formation of England about 1000 years ago that it stopped being a kingdom in its own right.

They only moved to Essex in 1880 and lived there until 40ish years ago when the family dispersed to all parts of what is now known as England.

Edited by chris54

Do you have an English passport, or a British one?

In my experience (we are a mixed race family) much of the 'English' nationalism that I have come across does have a racist intent or undertone.

I don't have a passport.

It is time that the English, those born in England of any ethnic background should unite and clam back our nationality from the racists.

Do you have an English passport, or a British one?

Neither. I have a European Union passport and removing this title from the cover renders it invalid.

I don't think there are "English" passports? I could be wrong.

I was born in London, so , on forms I put that I am British.

I always thing of English as a language rather than a nationality. xx

if you go by passport i believe I would have to put that I was a British Citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

i'm a bit sick of people using the excuse of a particular 'nationality' to be racist. if you're racists then you're going to be that way wherever you come from. if you were welsh that would be best, if you were african that would be, just the same as english

racist people will always find an excuse, and i dont think i've ever found a racist person yet who hasn't also been homophobic and sexist, so in general i choose to see them as bigoted people who will find any excuse to make themselves better than someone else

okay, thats my rant over

I actually don't see why it matters unless 'English' and 'British' mean different things to you, and that begs the question 'why'?

Given what that kind of 'patriotism' usually means I'll be happy if they scrap all nationalities and just call everyone 'earthlings'

:D .

I put British because I'm English/Welsh mixed and that just gets complex, but I don't see anything wrong with putting English.

I'm with you on that one, I think there should be a box for the Wenglish, but alas no. WENGLISH :whistle:

I'm just upset that there isn't a box to tick for 'Geordie' :) Geordie's aren't classed as part of any of them.... We come down South and eyebrows are raised, or if we're brave enough to venture North of the border.... :ph34r:

Flo' :)

i put Scottish usually.

from the Concise Oxford English Dictionary:

1. A Nation with its own government, occupying a particular territory.

2. (often "the country") districts outside large urban areas.

3. An area or region with regard to its physical features: A tract of wild country

Nation:

A large body of people united by common descent, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular state or territory.

Territory:

1. An area under the jurisdiction of a ruler or state.

2. An organised division of a country not having the full rights of a state.

3. an area defended by an animal against others of the same sex or species.

4. an area defended by a team or player in a game or sport.

5. an area in which one has certain rights or responsibilities.

6. an area of knowledge or experience.

7. land with a specified characteristic.

Nationality:

1. The status of belonging to a particular Nation.

2. An ethnic group forming a part of one or more political Nations.

There fore by those definitions Wales is NOT a country, scotland, england and Northern Ireland are countrys. They are ALL Nations though and we can be a nation as a whole. Wales seems to be a territory.

quite complicated really.

There fore by those definitions Wales is NOT a country, scotland, england and Northern Ireland are countrys. They are ALL Nations though and we can be a nation as a whole. Wales seems to be a territory.

I thought Wales was officially a Principality or dominion of England. It wasn't combined with England under the 1707 Act of the Union and the Welsh flag isn't included in the Union Flag.

I consider myself to be Scottish, and am proud of my heritage, history,culture and all that malarkey.

Having said that, I know vast numbers of my ancestors were Irish and English and we have more than a suspicion that some of our ancestors may have come from MUCH farther afield.......

In that vein, I should give more consideration to the fact that I am part of the United Kingdom.....

I definitely base my opinions of people on how they behave and what kind of personality they have, rather than nationality, culture, creed or suchlike.

Most people do, thankfully.

I thought Wales was officially a Principality or dominion of England. It wasn't combined with England under the 1707 Act of the Union and the Welsh flag isn't included in the Union Flag.

I'm just going by the dictionary. I havent looked into legislation.