Sign in to follow this  
bikemad

Melatonin advice please!!!!!

Ok ive got ds's melatonin...thought it would come with like an advice slip but theres nothing. Ds's bedtime or should I say the initial put him in the bed time lol is 9pm tho obviously he is still up n down n awake gone midnight.

The bottle says one to be take at 8pm. So do I put him up at 8pm or does the bedtime routine begin then? Also how tired does he get n how quick if that makes sense...is he going to fall asleep were he is if you know what I mean? And morning time will he be kinda awake n bouncing or wake slowly or even be a zombie? Any side effects? The cahms guy didn't tell me any of this he just told me he would get the letter to the doc to make up the script n ushered us out for the next persons appointment.

It's normally given between 1/2 & 1 hr before bedtime. So stick to your 9pm go to bed and he should be nice and sleepy....fingers crossed!

A x

Il be checking him all the time I can see it im so used to him being up n down n bouncing off walls at midnight il be thinking there something wrong lol.

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: All hail melatonin!!!!!!! Gave it at 8 n put him to bed at 9 n he was asleep by ten past nine!!!!!!! He is usually bouncing off walls at midnight!!!!!

One thing tho how in gods name do you get a kid to take them bleeding capsules....tried all sorts n in the end the plastic fell apart on a spoon cos ds had been trying to swallow it with water for so long so mixed it with a touch of yogurt so it was easier to swallow...is that ok?

Yes, just makes it act quicker, get your next prescription in liquid form, put your feet up an make the most of it!!! >:D<<'> Enid

Do I just tell the pharmacist I want liquid? Im lost now so used to running my backside off up n down with him lol. Think il go have a nice bath lol.

Hi

My son is nearly 7 and I start winding things down at 7pm (eg no trampolining/no wii - just mellow type of activities), melatonin also at 7pm, all with the aim of getting him into bed at 8pm. I found that it took a a couple of weeks for the melatonin to 'kick in'. First night, it took him an hour to drop off to sleep, then gradually down to only about 20 minutes. That said, a year and a half on (he's still on 3mg), it can take anything up to an hour. I think it's very much dependent upon how kiddo is feeling ie if they've been particularly wound up, it may take longer. In addition, I was also advised to give him melatonin breaks eg school holidays (2 weeks at a time minimum). I know someone else that gives their kid a melatonin break at weekends as well. At one point, it seemed that the melatonin was no longer working or disage needed to be increased, but it seemed that a break was all that was needed.

Haven't noticed any side-effects. My son does have a tendency to have bad dreams and intially I thought the melatonin was to blame, but because I was looking for side-effects initially it seemed logical to blame that. There were however lots going on eg we'd just moved house then.

Regards

Caroline.

Thanks for the info. Well im hoping it works again tonight...gave it at 8pm n bed at 9pm n he was asleep by ten past 9 and slept thru till half 8...amazing!!!! There is a down side tho.....he is more refreshed n more hypo today. :wacko: Lol.

Def be asking for liquid tho lol boy it was hard work with the capsules lol.

There is a down side tho.....he is more refreshed n more hypo today. :wacko: Lol.

:lol: Glad you all got a good nights sleep. As for capsules they are pretty easy to pull apart and disolve in a small amount of juice or mix in a spoonful of yogurt so don't be too upset if your pharmasist can't source the liquid version. (our's struggled to find a supplier for capsules and I had to ask the hospital pharmacy to contact him :rolleyes: )

A x

I had to do that in the end break the capsule...he has issues with certain foods n textures etc as it is n trying to get a capsule in him n swallowed is almost impossible lol. :wacko: