Sign in to follow this  
pearl

Mr p has been fiddling with the DVD player ...

:ph34r:

He's made it multi region, so that we can buy the 3rd series of Kung Fu for JP for Christmas, & he can actually watch it (its only available in American format)

Thing is, will it work? Have any of you tried this? We don't have any multi region DVDs to practice with, & I'd hate for him to try & watch it all excited on Christmas Day, only for it not to work. (JP would be disappointed too! :lol: )

I bought my sister the Lost DVDs (surprisingly easy to find :rolleyes:) in American format. They didn't work on the normal DVD player despite randomly pressing a few buttons (Mr P may be doing something more technical than random button pressing...), but do play fine on a laptop, so there's always that option if they don't work.

Question is, do your UK region Tony Robinson DVDs still play or are you going to have to find something else to fill your time? :ph34r:

My DVD player (a Yamaha) was switched to be multi-region simply by entering a code. Works fine and plays region 1, region 2 and region 0 discs without any problems or need to change anything. The exact procedure for setting the region depends on the machine itself but the internet usually turns up the the proper method and most manufacturers now accept that people will want to play discs from different regions so they don't make the process overly complicated (by comparrison my original DVD player (one of the first Pioneer machines) involved being handy with a soldering iron and having to switch the region each time :o)

With laptops the drive usually locks itself to a specific region after about 5 times so you might need to be careful.

Thankyou Neil, I shall sleep more soundly now. Mr p got instructions off t'internet & techy folk at work, so hopefully it will be fine. My job is to order the boxed set between now & Christmas.

*wanders off to large river site*

Thankyou Neil, I shall sleep more soundly now

Strange...this seems to be the exact of opposite of what people usually do when I suggest things :devil:

Just thought I'd let y'all know ... mr p did good and we are currently overdosing on Kung Fu Series 3! Mr p & JP for the fighting, me for Kwai Chang Cain's burnished manly chest which is on view much more this series :wub: