Sign in to follow this  
Julieanne

Am I Being Stupid?

I just wondered if any of you can relate to this at all...

I got a call from Jay's school yesterday saying he had to have special fitted shoes as he is a little more then pigeon toed, and they had gone ahead & ordered them....which i guess is ok, as he needs them and i am all for doing the right thing where my kids are concerned, but then why do i feel like crying?

I did have a cry yesterday and im on brink now :tearful: maybe i havent fully come to terms with his autism, his mental age of 3 ( yet he is nearly 9) and maybe i see this as yet something else, i know that mainstream children may have to wear these too, but i dont know i feel like its something else to deal with.

they are called piedro shoes, they look fine, not that bothers me, but i guess what it is, you get your head round something then along comes something else, a bit like my eldest child having dyslexia, its something else to deal with.

maybe im being silly, but i want to get a little bit of normality back in my life, and i try hard, with the obvious adjustments and i dont know why im blubbing!!

does anyone understand what i mean?

thanks Julieanne x

Sorry if I'm missing something, but why are school ordering him special shoes? I would have thought that he'd need to be assessed by an orthopaedic doctor, and if necessary, sent to the orthotics department of the hospital to be fitted properly - whether for shoes/insoles or other equipment to help?

As for how you're feeling with regards to this, I would say it is totally normal way to feel. Every 'extra' thing is something 'new' which needs it's own time and consideration to deal with.

Take care of yourself Julieann, have a blub, a glass of wine and some chocolate, and I hope things start looking a bit rosier for you soon.

Fi xx

Edited by fiorelli

I'm suprised that you had no role in the ordering of the shoes too, especially as there is a wide choice of Piedro shoes. My dd has had them for years and they are MUCH nicer than "NHS" boots used to be but I know what you mean. It's just another reminder of how outside "normal" society they are. I would see little toddlers in their lovely little shoes with flowers, etc and knew I had no chance of ever getting them for my dd.

Have a (((((hug)))) from me >:D<<'>

A x

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

No, you're not being stupid at all. It's not just the one thing that's upsetting, it's lots of things one after the other (not sure that makes sense :blink:) and I can certainly relate to the desire for a bit of 'normality'!

Take care >:D<<'>

Like the others I can't understand how and why the School have gone ahead with ordering piedro shoes. Surely it should be your orthopead or paedio that should have assessed him first. I'm confused.

I know what you mean about it being one more thing though. All I can say is that the modern shoes aren't really noticeably any different expecially when worn with trousers.

Mummy