Sign in to follow this  
KateBall

asking questions

My ds (diagnosed ASD) always makes me answer his questions even if anyone else has given him an answer. Now however he has developed this further and even if I answer his question if I am not looking at him at the time he makes me answer it again only this time I have to actually look him in the eye.

Does anyone else get this and is it just a phase?

My ds (diagnosed ASD) always makes me answer his questions even if anyone else has given him an answer. Now however he has developed this further and even if I answer his question if I am not looking at him at the time he makes me answer it again only this time I have to actually look him in the eye.

Does anyone else get this and is it just a phase?

hi kateball, my boy is almost 6 and for about the last 9 months his questions have been driving me mad! i dont have to look him in the eye but he asks the same questions over and over! ie. mummy do you like apple pie? mummy what does prove it mean, mummy do we have a pet, mummy can you leave the hall light on (i get that one every night about a dozen times when we are getting ready for bed) the other ones he rotates but the worst one has to be the apple pie one i must get that one about a dozen times every single day! there are too many other ones to list, i always answer with the same answer but he still keeps on asking!

sonj x :wacko:

O gawd yes he will ask his dad then ask me n im sat right next to his dad...then he will ask me again!!!!! And he has to have everything explained like a million times and then more again.

KateBall, has your son been taught to look at people when speaking to them/telling the truth etc???? If so he may be enforcing the "rules" rigidly as thats how he sees them, rather than the flexible approach others would take.

My ds (nearly 4) has recently started telling me I'm not listening, unless I am looking directly at him and making eye-contact (which makes a change from his deathly stares) but this is not good when I'm driving! So until I look at him, he happily repeats the same thing over and over.... :wallbash:

Sadly, I don't have any useful suggestions how to help!

Nikki.

Thanks for your comments. Warren thats very interesting - I wonder if that is what he's been doing. Perhaps someone has been doing this with him at school.

Nikki - today I took him bowling and yes being in the car with him on his own was a nightmare cos I simply couldn't look him in the eye for a reply. He repeats until I answer - and keeps getting louder and louder until I do :fight:

Edit: spelling!

Edited by KateBall

Hi,

My daughter is 15 and has for as long as I can recall always had to be face to face when speaking - she cannot listen to me if she cannot see my face - i.e. if I'm washing the dishes etc - I've always thought it's a verbal/visual kind of thing - that she can't take in the words easy if she's not seeing the face with it - almost as though the two have to go together to make it easier for her to understand (if that makes sense). For some reason I've always thought this was part and parcel of her ASD - have a vague recollection of CAHMS going over it with us - so never really thought it odd.

Take care,

jb

Hi,

My daughter is 15 and has for as long as I can recall always had to be face to face when speaking - she cannot listen to me if she cannot see my face - i.e. if I'm washing the dishes etc - I've always thought it's a verbal/visual kind of thing - that she can't take in the words easy if she's not seeing the face with it - almost as though the two have to go together to make it easier for her to understand (if that makes sense). For some reason I've always thought this was part and parcel of her ASD - have a vague recollection of CAHMS going over it with us - so never really thought it odd.

Take care,

jb

yes but what I find strange with my ds is that he has only recently started to do this - he's 10 and whilst he always wanted an answer from me in particular - he's never before insisted on me looking at him. Must be something to do with the senses. I suppose if I'm not looking at him then he doesn't get the attention and the sensations he wants by me answering. If it is part and parcel of ASD why hasn't he always done it. Then again perhaps I can answer that myself - I think his ASD traits seem to come and go in intensity and this must be one of them.

I'm going to have to get used to it I guess.

yes but what I find strange with my ds is that he has only recently started to do this

Hi Kate,

My daughter has always struggled to filter out noises etc - I think she needs visual and noise together to be able to understand. However, although she's always had this - sometimes it is much worse - when her anxieties are exceptionally high then her senses become even more acute.

You mention he's only started to do this - does he have problems normally with being able to filter out noises etc - I'm just thinking that if he doesn't then perhaps it is his anxiety levels are high....

Take care,

Jb