Sign in to follow this  
rainbow queen

baby dies-days after mmr jab

I'm sure people may have things to say rather different than I do but that child died of a febrile convulsion not the MMR. Could have happened because of flu or chicken pox or a bunch of other things but in this case it is presumed to be because of the vaccination. My son (not the ASD one) is prone to very high fevers and had a very high fever 10 days after his MMR as the measles component kicked in - I just dread to think what he would have suffered if he'd actually got measles!

Is the general tone on this board anti-vax is it split or what?

janine

It seems to me that he didn't die because of the MMR itself, I always thought that if a child had been ill in anyway within a period of time before the jab that it would have to be delayed. I had to have my MMR late because I had a cold at the time. :blink:

When a child has a febrile convulsion parents are made aware that the seizure is caused by the fever and that whenever the child seems to be hot or unwell they should be monitored closely, so if he was out of sorts after his injection it would be natural to monitor him closely weather the illness was a result of the injection or not. Does that make sense.

So the information given to them at the time of the convulsion should have applied.

Yes the drs should have advised them of possible side effects of the injection, its a tragic accident.

My son who was 3 when he had his MMR because it had just come out had his first febrile convulsion within 24 hours of the jab. He had several after that. He had had high temp before the jab but no convulsions. It also brought his immune system down like a house of cards.

Where I live parents are routinely told after any vaccination to give calpol - why? Is it because they think that a vaccination might just result in a temperature?

Cat

My son who was 3 when he had his MMR because it had just come out had his first febrile convulsion within 24 hours of the jab. He had several after that. He had had high temp before the jab but no convulsions. It also brought his immune system down like a house of cards.

Where I live parents are routinely told after any vaccination to give calpol - why? Is it because they think that a vaccination might just result in a temperature?

Cat

Yes, parents are now told to give Calpol immediately after every jab (and for 12 - 24 hours after) but with MMR the advice is also given to watch out for the temp 8 - 12 days later which is when the immune response to the measles part actually happens and this is where my boy got a very high temp. They shouldn't ever give any vaccination to a child who already has a temperature, I must've been lucky because as far as I remember the professionals administering jabs to my four children (that's quite a lot of jabs!) have always followed the guidelines and erred on the side of caution.

janine

I'm sure people may have things to say rather different than I do but that child died of a febrile convulsion not the MMR. Could have happened because of flu or chicken pox or a bunch of other things but in this case it is presumed to be because of the vaccination. My son (not the ASD one) is prone to very high fevers and had a very high fever 10 days after his MMR as the measles component kicked in - I just dread to think what he would have suffered if he'd actually got measles!

Is the general tone on this board anti-vax is it split or what?

janine

No, this board not anti-vax, everyone has their own opinions.

However, if you look at the MMR Patient Information Leaflet, produced by the vaccine manufacturer Merck and published on the NHS website here You will see that at the end of the extremely long list of known adverse reactions is listed "death".

Seems to me that the vaccines issue has become so political that when children suffer known adverse reactions to vaccines, it's just too controversial to admit.

I feel so sorry for the parents, it must be heartbreaking

There are a couple of issues here.

1.The safety of the MMR vaccine which isn't a debate I want to restart here as there is plenty of discussion out there

2. Whether or not the child should have been given a vaccination on that day.

The concept of a rise in temperature for which the child should be given Calpol is not unique to MMR, it is a function of the way many vaccines work so I don't think we can infer anything one way or the other about the safety of MMR specifically from this advice.

My gut feeling is that this is a tragic incident and I absolutely understand why the family are devestated, but we should be wary of reading too much into it as we cannot say for certain that being vaccinated caused the childs death, or that it was the fact that MMR was the specific vaccine that caused the problem.

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

What worries me is the way the papers are presenting it when measles infections are increasing. For those few children who really shouldn't/couldn't be vaccinated the press should not be scaring off the majority who should.

janine

What worries me is the way the papers are presenting it when measles infections are increasing. For those few children who really shouldn't/couldn't be vaccinated the press should not be scaring off the majority who should.

janine

Exactly this is what worries me too. I know some people who are swayed just by what they read in the newspapers/see on telly. We really don't want to be furthering a decline in vaccination and causing a rise in measles cases. I'm not sure how the papers have covered this as I haven't been reading them lately, but the link that was given was from the daily mail that is a well known sensationalist right wing newspaper that plays on peoples fear and insecurity. :ph34r:

The inquest has found that the child's death had nothing to do with the MMR or even a febrile condition but that they consider it to be SIDS (by some other name as the child was too old for SIDS). I feel for the parents especially as I know how it feels when you don't agree with the findings of an inquest however... In the context of my personal concerns over the reporting of this case I'm pleased to see that Sun online at least, has given prominent coverage to "Not MMR related..."

janine

Edited by lbj

My son had the MMR when it came out too and he developed a high fever projectile vomiting and went into a coma, for a fortnight.

I was told they did not know what was wrong with him.

10 years later he was dx with autism. It is only in the last few years that I realised many other children suffered similar severe symptoms after the MMR. This is not a coincidence.

I can't even begin to tell you how depressing it is that it is denied despite so many children getting the same reaction with no thorough investigation into it. Anyone who has evidence or believes it is linked to autism or making children ill gets struck off for unprofessional conduct

Edited by florrie