Canopus

A car

If you were watching a TV programme featuring a teenager with AS then which car would you like to see them drive? I'm involved in producing documentaries about AS and there is a proposal to have one about learning to drive so a car will be needed. I don't want to use a boring modern supermini because it will look boring. I want something a bit unusual but not necessarily flashy or a high insurance machine.

Unusual but not flashy?

Ben really liked seeing Jeremy Clarkson driving a 'cube' on Top Gear but that's probably because it was filmed in Tunbridge Wells!

That said, I think the idea behind them filming in TW (cube = 'square') would also lend itself in a tongue-in-cheek way to a documentary on Aspies, as would the fact that the cube is exremely 'practical'... Applying similar logic, though, a 'smart car' (esp the convertable) might be easier to get hold of

:D

My son wants a Land Rover - practical with lots of room for all his tools/chainsaws, etc. It will be a purely functional vehicle - he's not bothered about anything fancy.

Probably not worried about impressing the girls, or the comfort of friends. Probably nothing that goes excessively fast (as he will stick to the speed limit anyway). Reasonable CD player (he likes his music).

Cal suggests an American muscle car. I have tryed to explain this falls into the category of 'flashy', but he insists.

I like the smart car idea- my two love seeing them around, and its eco-friendlier so that's a topical boon also!!

mmmm your asking a lot to get not boring and stylish with both low insurance and not too flashy.

Dont get anything thats already got a "chav" following as their insurance premiums have gone up as a result, despite initially being low insurance group many cars are reclassified based on claims background. so that rules out, corsas, novas, saxos, 106's, fiestas, civics.

Thing is i guess your trying to make it appealing to teens??? most male teens want something stylish and nippy.

nippy = crippling car insurance. For example 10 years ago i was paying �1500 a year third party on a 1.1 ford fiesta!!!! :wallbash: I'm now 28 and I now pay �2000 per year fully comprehensive but i have a custom built car (link in sig) with 430bhp and does 60mph in 5 seconds and a rebuild value of �25k!! I do also have 9 points (speeding :lol:), a medical revokation, 1 accident in 2006 and only 2 years NCB bumping things up!!! :wallbash:

In my experience most males tend to view cars in two ways, as an A to B machine or something fun and personal (as well as a practical thing!!

Females seem to have a more complex approach and can fall into the same ways as men but seems to be far less inclined towards "fast" cars but do like personalising cars (pink etc LOL).

Maybe something like a BMW mini one, new beetle, new KA/Fiesta, new corsa, new fiat 500 (lower spec ones hence lower insurance) as they are all considered stylish (well by a lot of people, not everyone), yet realistic cars for young people to learn to drive in, and its the kind of car you will find in many driving schools as they replace stock.

You could try something like a 4x4/ landrover to be different (well interesting for parking skills LOL) but its probably a little big to learn in.

Most parents would, i suspect, like thier kids to drive something not very quick and very safe, but often that equates to boring :lol: so youve got to find a balance!!!

The problem youve got is the low insurance type cars young people can/could afford are by thier nature usually common superminis as they also feed the budget commuter/low earning end of the market. Generally style/non boring costs more.

If it was me, id use a speed limited 80's supercar such a lamborghini contach or ferrari F40, not because of the looks but because they have no power steering (no lazy steering allowed!!), high power Rear Wheel Drive (so need good control of clutch/accelaerator and general skid control), No ABS (too many people depend on it), limited visibility and big width (promotes road awareness/less risky judgement and size/distance perception).

Back in the real world......

A morris minor is deemed a good choice by a certain race driver (Tiff needell) as a learners car because again, no ABS, Rubbish brakes, Rear wheel drive, no power steering, simple mechanics, minor crash "proof" compared to modern cars, too slow to be very dangerous, cheap to insure and drive.

I presume the documentary will be addressing the specific difficulty areas found with AS and driving as well as general learner driving???

in my opinion from my experiences and those ive read on here and other places would include:

Distance judgement, near and far (ie driving and parking)

Anticipation of other drivers

Dealing with those who break the highway code ( can be confusing when you expect people to follow certain rules).

Busy Roundabout and junctions

Queing traffic Do's and Dont's

"unwritten" social rules of road etiquette

Concentration

Emergency car control (to avoid panic, already having a practised routine for things makes it a "Non" issue or less of one, worst thing being to freeze up).

Route planning

Impulse control/appropriate behaviour (eg speeding etc, time and place such as trackdays. Quite possible some people with AS may enjoy the speed/G force sensation and may be tempted to do it on the roads (mmmm sounds like me LOL)).

My first car was a Austin 1300. In them days there was not the problem with young drivers getting insurance.

I can remember hammering it down dual carriageways (Yes we had a few of them even back then) and hopping that the brakes would work when it was time to stop. One day the gear lever came off in my hand, shoved it back in hole and managed to get 2nd and 4th gear to get home. And you could fix your own car if it went wrong, didnt need a degree in electronics.

Yes them were the good old days.

my eldest who is 17 and just passed his test has a nissan micra,,,small and just right for what he needs,,he didnt want a flash car jus summin to get him to work,,,he done the pass plus and we saw a massive difference in the insurance,,,it is still expensive though,,,,,1800 pounds,,

A few ideas from people with AS are:

1. Skoda Estelle, but they are very hard to find nowadays.

2. Triumph Acclaim, still a few around in the hands of older owners.

3. Volvo 340, very solid machine but has no street cred.

4. Saab 900, lovely car but quite high insurance.