warrenpenalver

How to cook a steak????

Ok i like a steak.

But i dont like it bleeding or pink inside. I like it cooked properly inside.

Now i have one of those griddle steak cooking things for my cooking hob, but it spits everywhere burning me and i never know how long to cook it for. I think i overcook them as the outside looks like this: Steak

But if i cook it less time then its got pink/red inside!!!

Any ideas how to cook steak properly?????

fry it in a frying pan with some butter -turning both sides.............

i always cut it up while in the pan with knife and fork just to check inside if the flesh is still pink or brown.

i sometimes add chopped onions/tomatoes and a oxo cube in aswell while its cooking.

Eat it pink once and you'll never go back to well done - honest injun!

That said, try SEALING it on a very high heat on both sides for about 45 seconds and then turning the heat right down and giving it about 3-4 mins each side. That'll ruin it - but not to the same degree that you are at the moment! :lol: 3-4 mins should be more than enough for anyone, but if you start with that as a base and work forward/backwards from there you shouldn't go too wrong.

Also, let it rest for a minute or two before eating so the juices can tenderise it a bit.

me and Ben prefer it a bit bluddy "Just wipe the cows jacksy and stick it on the plate!"

:D

I always cook it in a casserole dish with the lid on in the oven, on about 180 for a long time, adding the onions and mushroom and anything else I feel like adding as I go. My cooking tends to be basic idea then make it up as I go according to what is in the cupboard.

I hate pan frying anything, cant stand all the mess it makes. And if you do it right you can make what would be a tough old bit of steak into something worth eating.

I know its not what steak conasures would do but its what I like.

Have you ever had a minute steak, 30 seconds on each side and that's it. When you cut it the blood runs out on the plate :sick:

And of course you are supposed to leave beef so cure (leave at room temperature ) for two weeks for it to tenderise before it is butchered and you cook it. The same as you do with game. Which basically means it starts to rot. Hope your not put off their dinner.

I always use properly matured fillet steak so dont need to do any of that leaving it or worrying about it going tough.

Baddad why is it ruined??? Its only the charcoal bits that taste ruined???

what you mean???

I think he's joking that not everyone can afford the most expensive types of steak (esecially when you've got a family to feed) :lol:

Personally, getting the steak from the fridge to the plate gives it just long enough under the lightbulb to ever so slightly raise the surface temperature. That's right, as close to raw as possible for me :devil:

Baddad why is it ruined??? Its only the charcoal bits that taste ruined???

Hi warren - i meant you'd ruined it for me... As far as steak and fish go: One man's meat is another man's poisson :)

you can check how much steak is cooked by how it feels, using your hands as a guide, that is how my mother (trained chef) was taught.

all of the following are to be compared to how the meat of the steak feels

EDIT - just to clarify, all movements are held until you've felt... its the muscle tension that you're feeling

for -

RAW - touch the fat pad bit between the thumb and where your hand joins your wrist with the pointing finger of the other hand. The hand you're touching should be open and relaxed.

RARE - touch your thumb to your first finger (the one next to your tumb) on one hand, for the sake of argument i use the left, then feel the same place on the pad with the pointing finger on your right hand.

MEDIUM RARE - touch your thumb to the second finger, and feel the pad...

MEDIUM - thumb to the third finger, and touch the pad with pointing finger on the other hand.

WELL-DONE - thumb to little finger, and touch the pad.

this way you can know how your steak is cooked without having to cut into it. the fact that the steak is burnt means you're cooking it too hot. try lowering the heat a little so that it doesn't scorch on the outside before the inside is cooked. i also recommend one of those plug in fat reducing grills, so much easier than cleaning the grill every time, healthier (just about) and if you get one with removable washable plates they're so easy to clean! we have the one made by the scary ginger-bearded chef with the hyphenated surname.

Edited by NobbyNobbs

I like my steak rare, but I can never cook it that way myself. When I try it is still cold, so I normally end up eating it brown all the way through. I normally cook it in the frying pan in garlic butter, and when I put it on the plate I pour the garlic butter over it. Nice! I sometimes cook lamb steaks the same way.