Sign in to follow this  
Tally

Melatonin in the UK

My husband is interested in trying Melatonin for sleep problems which have existed for as long as he can remember.

I have been trying to research it on the internet, and it seems a safe, effective drug. I've seen websites selling it for reasonable prices. Then I found out it is available only on prescription in the UK. My husband doesn't like seeing the doctor and said he wouldn't go.

We don't want to break the law. Is it legal to buy it over the internet in the UK?

Hi Tally.

I don't know about it being illegal, but it is a bit dodgy as you never know if it is the right stuff.

I have heard that you can buy "night time milk" in most Sainsbury stores now, it is in a blue bottle and contains Melatonin, I havn't tried it but it is supossed to be good, it might be worth trying it.

Viper.

Hi Tally

I was very dubious about melatonin until a recent holiday in the US. Melatonin is sold as a food supplement and was available in every chemist we visited. I eventually bought some in Walgreens (an American equivilant of Boots) for $9.99, about �5. It was simply a matter of taking it off the shelf and paying at the till. It all seemed so straight forward compared to all the mystery that seems to surround it over here.

I ordered Melatonin from a website a few weeks ago as our dr couldnt prescribe it.It arrived and is working like magic.

I think that in the UK only a consultant can prescribe melatonin, ie not a GP. As with all products bought over the internet there's an element of risk involved but from what I understand there are some honest companies out there who will sell you what you need. We haven't needed to go down the melatonin route yet though so I'm afraid I have no specific details.

Hello All, Our family GP prescribes Melatonin for our 10 year old, following the instructions of our consultant paediatrician. So a GP is capable of ordering Melatonin. Whether he/she would do so for an adult might be a different matter.

There is no harm in asking your GP first. You may get a prescription or might just be told to buy it yourself.

There are many companies selling melatonin oniline. I have used BIOVEA myself, and buying melatonin itself isn't prohibitively expensive.

Sweet Dreams and all that.

Mike

I got mine from Biovea too, it came in a few days, shrink wrapped in a bubble envelope. It cost 9.99 for 30 3mg tablets.

I have had insomnia for 6 years now, and after an initial first night which was sleepless i had a good nights sleep last night.

Ive tried everything, hypnosis tpaes, valerian, lavender, baths before bed u name it ive done it!!!

This seems to work - good luck with it B)