Sign in to follow this  
something_different

Websites popping up all the time

Whenever i am online i get loads of webpages appearing all the time not the wee pop up advertisments, its web pages advertising stuff. how can i block these?

wots the best antivurus i can download too

ATM i have windows defender, and super anti spyware.

Whenever i am online i get loads of webpages appearing all the time not the wee pop up advertisments, its web pages advertising stuff. how can i block these?

wots the best antivurus i can download too

ATM i have windows defender, and super anti spyware.

What browser are you using? The latest versions of IE (7) and Firefox (3) should block most pop-ups.

I use AVG anti-virus, and used to use Avast, both are free and seem to work OK.

Phil

Hi SD -

Have you got your popup blocker switched on?

In internet explorer there's a 'tools' area on the taskbar, click on this and it will. list 'pop-up blocker' 'phishing filter' etc and you can enable or disable from there. Other browsers will have similar somewhere on their task bar...

Windows defender is better as the 'braces' on a 'belt and braces' system. I'd use other standalone stuff rather than defender, but enable the monthly update and automatic bootscan...

Do you have antivirus? I don't know Antispyware, but from the name it sounds like antisypware (duh?) rather than antivirus! You need both.

I have Avast (freeware) on my system which is antivirus and antispyware - this works well on XP and vista. I used to use AVG antispyware, but the latest version had some functionality removed and was reported as problematic with Vista, I think. i also run AVG anti-spyware occassionally and Spybot.

The windows defender firewall is a bit weak regarding outgoing protection. I use Zonealarm on my XP system, but this used to be problematic on Vista, so if you run Vista then Comodo is probably a better bet.

Chances are the programmes you've got also include some sort of pop-up blocker, so you want to check they're not interfering with each other (fnar fnar)...

If you're getting random pages rather than pop ups and it's recent and happening in places it diodn't used to happen (like this forum) it's possible you've got a virus/malaware on your system. Work out which of the antivirus progs looks the best for you and download and install it and run it to check.

Hope that helps

L&P

BD :D

thanx seems to be sorted now

oh well i still get webpages popping up.

i have a pop up blocker enabled, coz i always get the click on the yellow bar to enable pop ups thing, and i have avast installed and running.

oh well nvm must just be me i guess!

oh well i still get webpages popping up.

i have a pop up blocker enabled, coz i always get the click on the yellow bar to enable pop ups thing, and i have avast installed and running.

oh well nvm must just be me i guess!

have you run a scan with avast? Chances are if there was anything it would be picked up even running in the background, but running a full scan would be a double check/reassuring.

Avast takes ages if run while the computer's switched on, so open the console and run a boot time scan - it'll ask you to reatart your PC and then check every file before booting windows. It takes much less time that way, and also gets rid of any 'stay resident' viruses/malaware if present.

:D

have done that.

A couple of years ago we got bugged even with all the anti virus and whatever in place. What this one did was lay dormant for a few weeks then pop up as if it was a web page inviting you to run a check and telling you that you needed to get such and such to sort your computer out. It would keep popping up all the time for a few days then go away but a week or so later do it again. After trying everything I could think of I got in touch with our local computer man who said something along the lines of "yes know what it is, only solution is to wipe the hard drive and stare again".

Apparently if you did what it said and payed your money by CC over the Internet it would switch its self off for a few months and then come back and do the whole thing again.

It was purely a money making thing that sneaked in with something else.

A couple of years ago we got bugged even with all the anti virus and whatever in place. What this one did was lay dormant for a few weeks then pop up as if it was a web page inviting you to run a check and telling you that you needed to get such and such to sort your computer out. It would keep popping up all the time for a few days then go away but a week or so later do it again. After trying everything I could think of I got in touch with our local computer man who said something along the lines of "yes know what it is, only solution is to wipe the hard drive and stare again".

Apparently if you did what it said and payed your money by CC over the Internet it would switch its self off for a few months and then come back and do the whole thing again.

It was purely a money making thing that sneaked in with something else.

Aggggggggggggghhhhh! Just read above, and it rang a bell...

SD you said you are running 'Windows Defender'... The rogue programme Chris mentions is a phoney antivirus software called 'Defender XP' or 'Advanced Defender XP' (comes in a few other guises as well, I think)...

If that is your problem it can be removed without having to reformat the HD but it is a pain in the butt to do so (you have to manually delete registry entries etc), so from a PC guys POV a reformat may seem the easier option, but they haven't got to sit for hours reinstalling all of your programmes and settings afterwards, have they!? If your pc is fairly 'light' on programmes etc and you do have full back-ups of all your files then it could be the best option, though...

On the downside - you need to get the instructions for deleting registry entries etc (or a root kit which will do it for you) from the internet - and that puts you in the same position of downloading stuff that may actually be even worse.

Sorry - I don't know any reliable websites for downloading safe instructions/root kit, but if you know someone who knows about PC's they might be able to offer some free advice.(?)

Some of the variants of 'Defender XP' install a panel which looks like a proper antivirus panel... if you have something like that on your system then it's odds on that's your problem (but if there isn't it doesn't mean it isn't). You can see a screen shots of the REAL windows defender panel on the official microsoft site. Click on 'how do I get' to see screenshots and the other links will give you some more (reliable) info about bogus progs and how to get rid of them:

screen shots

Hope that helps, and if it is XP defender i hope you get it sorted soon

L&P

BD