niki

HORMONES!

my son i think is going thru hormonal changes, is this usual in a 11 asd boy? or could i be wrong? i thought i had a few more years possibly? we have got undeniable underarm hair tho...

I think it's probably true that it varies enormously in all kids, ASD or otherwise. My lad is 15 and has a few signs of puberty but his pits are still as smooth as a babies bott! :lol: Only this week we've had to get some deodorant for him, though, as he's def. a bit niffy at the mo. :sick::wub: Eleven does seem quite young, not sure if it's abnormally so though.

~ Mel ~

Hi Niki, in my experience, kids with asd do seem to go through puberty early. Not sure why this is. My son sprouted his first pube when he was just 10 and by the time he was 13 looked like a man, wide shoulders, facial hair, hair everywhere. I remember thinking 'im not ready for this' scary is'nt it.

i am totally not ready, he is very much a "young man" and his voice is slightly deeper he answered the telephone the other day and i was shocked on how ndeep he sounded, he is quite tall for his age too, he looks about 14 years

Hi, My son is also 11 and Im certain the adolescence are blearing like a siren around the bend, he is constantly growing taller, yet again �50 spent on tracky bottoms, bigger larger t shirts and socks, I mean what do they do with them, Im sure there skipping to the skip as there that disgusting or the church there that holey, his feet have also grown, and so yet again another pair of gym shoes, he came home after three days at resi school and he was noticably taller, He growing litrately right under my eyes, his changes have been suttle, sensitive, mood changes, tearful, Selective hearing, dire social skills with his friends, its like toddler signs get mixed up with teenage signs, its a real mix bag of emotions and feelings, reactions and behaviours.

Suprisingly he is noticing the changes, privacey and space have increased, he has deoderant already, and often watches the shaving adverts with mega zoned interest, even the lady shaving ones, he often asks me when will get a beard and grow hair under his arms, I dont think the hair under the arms come until 14/15, but I do believe J is defo getting a dose of the testerone and pubity is well and truely gonna make things a little bit more challenging, hormones and temper rages isnt something I am looking forward to.

I have a brilliant book though about puberty and adolence and the things that come with growing up called "lets talk about Sex" growing up, changing bodies, sex and sexual health by Robie H Harriss/ Walker books. its a brillant book, that works with helping the parent discuss in stages puberty and growing up in a healthy and understandable way, and the pictures J has had a good few giggles about.

But really I think 11 and pubity is something that could be going on for your son.

Im gonna watch your post with interest.

JsMum

I was just reading this and laughing out loud thinking of the pure shock and horror that our kids would have if they actually knew what was being posted about them on the net!! Pubes at 10 and armpits as smooth as babies bottoms! MUUUM(Kevin and Perry voice)!! LOL :lol:

Lol @ skye.

My lad is 9 looks about 6 but is already showing signs of fluff n the like in the relevant places so think he will be an early one.

Hi niki

I know it's a bit different as n is a girl and they tend to hit puberty before boys, but N has had body hair for nearly a year now and for the last 6 months or so her hips and boobs have been growing - any more and she will have to wear a bra and she was only 10 three months ago.

My eldest seems to be showing little signs that adolescence may well be on its way. Noticed this summer that his knees have become dem' hairy, and his body seems to be getting all angular.....His face is getting longer and seems like his jawline is getting a little more pronounced....

Argh, no, I'm not doing this, I am too young to be the mother of a Primary 7 child, and I'm definitely too young to be the mother of a pubescent one!!!!

:tearful:

As my dear ol' Mum would have said, tough cheese!! :rolleyes:

(Tell you what, hairy knees, smelly pits or no, he's certainly got the atitude of a teenager!!! :wallbash::angry:)

:D

i once read an article which gave research that children with neurobiological disorders as well as brain damage are far more prone to precocious and early puberty. the 'normal' age of puberty is also moving forward as children become taller and fatter.

from my POV (female, 'completed' puberty at 9) i found it very difficult and distressing and if i had a child in the same situation i would seriously consider looking into measures which would stall the development until mentally i felt the child could handle it (i'm not usually a fan of medical intervention, but having lived through the delights of being chased round the primary school field with kids shouting at me about it i certainly wouldn't like to do it all again!)

Eleven certainly isn't especially early these days.

It used to be considered (if I recall correctly), girls from 12-17 and boys from 13-19, but I know those have changed now, and I think 11+ is quite normal for both boys and girls.

Phil