Sign in to follow this  
hedders

How long does it take to settle into school routines

I have noticed for the past 2yrs that dd is in honeymoon period during terms 1 and 2 (sept - Dec) she is usually hyper and seems quite happy.

Cracks start to appear in term 3 January, like she is starting to cry again in school, no motivation getting ready for school.

Then terms 4 -6 a downward spiral, behaviour gets worse at home as she bottles it all in during school.

How does your child compare, and do you notice different terms worse.

Edited by hedders

my children usually find the first two terms the hardest in every class they have been in. the last term is when they have setled in and have learnt the new class rules. They are usually more relaxed by the last term as they get to no how the teacher reacts to different things, my children have to learn if they can trust the new teacher and tell them if they understand what is happening. I think it would be better if they only got new teachers with each key stage. But of course that would be a long time if the child does not get along with the teacher, so who nos. I have experienced that my children bottle things up at school and then explode at home time not even making it out the gate, which makes it look like i cannot manage my child.

Hi

My son is in primary 3 (year 3?) and has managed 1 and 2 pretty well. He's had a high level of support throughout. However, since the summer he's not settled very well at all. He's had same teachers/classroom/playground for 2 years but now have different teacher/classroom/bigger playground. Also, type and volume of work will also have something to do with it. R is 7 and is at an age whereby he knows he's different - likewise his peers are noticing he's different. Lots of social type problems have been arising and I think it's a combination of all of the aforementioned that's causing his behaviour to have escalated. I'm at the stage whereby I'm wondering if R would be better off in an ASD unit. Very confused about what to do for the best right now.

So in answer to your question, school life may be full of peaks and troughs. Guess it's a case of analysing what changes have taken place and seeing if things settle down over the next few months.

Best wishes

Caroline

so schools are now 6 term instead of 3 terms with a half term break??

It was an experiment that many LAs took part in - essentially it was still the same although you had a two week break for the October half term. Many appear now to have reverted to the three terms.

From my experience of teaching, children can take a while to settle in in September and then once they're becoming settled, Christmas preparations come and depending on the child they're excited or anxious and often over tired. I always found the 2nd term (January to Easter) most settled and that in the third (summer) term children became increasingly restless/tired - some were ready to move on and too big for their year and others were anxious about changes. But that's just my experience and probably affected by the teacher and school structures as much as anything.

I can't answer that but in our area there classed as 6 terms.

Term 1

Wednesday, 3 September 2008

38 teaching days

Friday, 24 October 2008

Term 2:

Wednesday, 5 November 2008

33 teaching days

Friday, 19 December 2008

Term 3:

Monday, 5 January 2009

30 teaching days

Friday, 13 February 2009

Term 4:

Monday, 23 February 2009

30 teaching days

Friday, 3 April 2009

Term 5:

Monday, 20 April 2009

24 teaching days

Friday, 22 May 2009

Term 6:

Monday, 1 June 2009

40 teaching days

Friday, 24 July 2009

Academic Year 2009/10

Edited by hedders

I can't answer that but in our area there classed as 6 terms.

Term 1

Wednesday, 3 September 2008

38 teaching days

Friday, 24 October 2008

Term 2:

Wednesday, 5 November 2008

33 teaching days

---------

This does confuse people!!!

We have the six team system but even here the school sometimes slips and refers to them in terms of three terms. :oops:

I can remember a little boy who at the end of the first term at preschool said to his mum "Well Iv done school now, what do I do next"

And then there is the little boy who on the first day on being told that he has to go to school until he is 16. Turns to his mum with tears in his eyes and says "You will remember to come and get me when I'm 16".

In 2006 I attended Finchale Training College in County Durham for disabled adults. It was a residential placement.

I was very happy for the first three months. But after recieving news that the family dog died, I had a bad week. From then on, it gradually got worse. My work suffered and so did I. What I thought strange was that the psychologist, counsellor, section head, my tutor and the care staff thought I was improving the whole time. It was only in the later months that they cottoned on to the trouble I was really having and how hidden from them it was.

I remain baffled, but the only conclusion I've been able to draw is that I was gradually diverting mental resources to being more presentable than I was to myself. In the Spring and Summer, I stimmed whenever I wanted, wherever I wanted. The college had recently been subject to arbitrary budget cuts and government directives which cancelled services and facilities such as driving lessons, internet access in the dorms and the licensed bar(meaning the people with alcohol problems got worse because they were drinking alone in their rooms rather than among people).

I think I know why I was having problems: everyone else was. I was changing my behaviour in response to people who were stressed, irritable and likely to painfully raise their voices if they got impatient with me. I was suffering, but so were they. My natural adaptation was mistaken for improvement in my confidence when in fact it was being cracked. The state of Finchale as it suffered under government interference was reflected in all that were a part of it, including me.

We have the opposite. The beginning of each term is difficult as he gets used to being back to school with the start of the autumn term the hardest due to the long summer break and having changed classes, new teacher etc. He's just getting into his groove when half term comes along and disrupts things again!

Lx