Mumble

How very very exciting :)

A quick post because on I'm my way out to buy a lottery ticket (I think the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6 should work... ;) ) as it must be a good day for me today :rolleyes:

The sun's shining :D

Some people believe in me :D

And...

You might remember that last year (seems like ages ago - I'd forgotten about it) as part of their 'I Exist' campaign the NAS launched a creativity competition for adults on the spectrum.

Well I've never been known for my creativity (Mumble, that's the wrong perspective (:huh:), get out of the classroom, Mumble you're just making a mess, Mumble didn't you listen to the instructions, Mumble when I said 'use your head' :whistle:...) but at the time I was going through a difficult patch and being able to concentrate on that helped me (it didn't help when I had my craft knife removed from me... :o:wacko:). So I finished my entry depicting life with AS and sent it in.

Today I got a letter to say that my work has been shortlisted and is going to be put into a London exhibition next month :thumbs: :thumbs: and I've been invited to the launch (very scary, will think about that :unsure:). They also want to send copies of my work to the media :o

I'm feeling very very bouncy now - this was exactly the lift I needed :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

thats fantastic!

Thanks everyone :D (I'm still bouncing :bounce: :bounce:)

The exhibition is being held in two locations:

Creativity Exhibition, London

Creativity Exhibition, Glasgow

There will also be an online gallery later in February on the NAS website :thumbs:

It looks really interesting.I will try and visit and think Ben may come too.

I have been looking for poetry written by people with ASD but had not found very much so it will be good to go to the exhibition.Karen.

Oh fantastic, what a great accolade, congratulations!

Well done Mumble!

So even more people, not just some people, believe in you. You've always come across to me as exceptionally gifted and creative.

Are you still bouncing and did you win the lottery? :D

Billabong

Well done Mumble!

:thumbs::notworthy::clap:

I've put both events on the calendar here.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Are you still bouncing and did you win the lottery? :D

Still bouncing, :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: but didn't win the lottery, which I don't understand really, I mean there's only 13,983,816 combinations - I must be very unlucky to have picked the wrong one... ;)

Passed my ice skating exam this morning too (and bouncing on the ice is difficult... :lol: :lol: :bounce: (need a 'splat' emoticon!)) so feeling very positive at the moment :)

That sounds really cool - imagine you are now an exhibited artist :dance:

Good news about the ice-skating exam - DD1 went in for one recently with the judge from hell - failed everyone

I would just like to say :thumbs: and :notworthy: to the NAS, because they have got something super right. They've just emailed me details about what will happen at the launch on Monday - it's got answers to all the questions I had but was scared to ask - things like what to wear, who will be there, times of stuff etc, and pictures of the place and people to make it easy to find :thumbs: - it even acknowledges sensory issues we may have and what to do and where to go if we need a break :notworthy:

I just felt I needed to give them some positive praise because they get the negative heaped on when they make a mistake but they've got this 'right' :first:

Oh, and if you can navigate their website - I've got lost myself several times - there's an online gallery of the works.

Ok I've found the page with the tiger on the shopping trolley :unsure: but I cant find the gallery, if you can find it again can you post a link?

:lol: :lol: I don't get the tiger and the shopping trolley - if someone can explain what it means and how it relates to autism I would be most grateful - I guess it's supposed to be some kind of figurative non-literal something what d'you Tate Modern worthy thingy wotsit, but I don't understand :crying:

Anyway, here you are - it's still under construction so not complete yet:

I Exist Exhibition Gallery

I would just like to say :thumbs: and :notworthy: to the NAS, because they have got something super right. They've just emailed me details about what will happen at the launch on Monday - it's got answers to all the questions I had but was scared to ask - things like what to wear, who will be there, times of stuff etc, and pictures of the place and people to make it easy to find :thumbs: - it even acknowledges sensory issues we may have and what to do and where to go if we need a break :notworthy:

I just felt I needed to give them some positive praise because they get the negative heaped on when they make a mistake but they've got this 'right' :first:

Oh, and if you can navigate their website - I've got lost myself several times - there's an online gallery of the works.

Brilliant news mumble :thumbs: hope it makes your outing easier & much more enjoyable.

Enjoy the accolade - its a fabulous achievement :notworthy:

Hi mumble :)

I think i know which is your entry, but my lips are sealed :)

well done, and a great idea BTW :thumbs:

L&P

BD

PS: Mumble, if you have a quick access to the people putting the site together (there's no 'contact us' that I could see) you could give them the heads up that George 28's entry on the poetry/prose page links to Gillian 52's again, and that Robert 43's 'blurb' in 2D art should read 'cocking a snook' not 'cocking a snoop'. I'm sure they and George and robert would appreciate the heads up :)

L&P

BD

Edited by baddad

PS: Mumble, if you have a quick access to the people putting the site together (there's no 'contact us' that I could see) you could give them the heads up that George 28's entry on the poetry/prose page links to Gillian 52's again, and that Robert 43's 'blurb' in 2D art should read 'cocking a snook' not 'cocking a snoop'. I'm sure they and George and robert would appreciate the heads up :)

Ha ha, I've been trying to work out all day what 'cocking a snoop' meant!!! And I'd noticed that George becomes Gillian. I'll let them know - they'll get fed up with me - when they initially put mine up, my name linked to my entry to the photography entry (which now doesn't appear at all). Because is was a scanned copy, anyone who didn't read the blurb and realise they didn't link would have thought I was exceedingly good at life-like painting!!!

Oooh, oooh I think I've guessed which is yours, too, Mumbley!! :clap:

Fantastic achievement, and I hope you do enjoy the launch :D

Bid :)

Edited by bid

I confess to having no idea which one is yours Mumbly, though I am still most impressed and chuffed for you!

The tiger/trolley combo? I kinda thought it showed how weird or bizarre everyday life can be......quite apart from the unexpectedness of happening upon the old dear and her stripy pal, who the heck would honestly want to buy that thing? Its like those people you see at fairgrounds who win at a sideshow game and then actually pick, of their own free will, the giant, cockeyed, misshapen, neon green/yellow/pink stuffed lion/bear/tiger(and in one truly jaw-dropping case, a camel!) that's bigger than the children straggling around them, and then they take it home and....do something with it, presumably.

The mind boggles.

:lol: :lol: I don't get the tiger and the shopping trolley - if someone can explain what it means and how it relates to autism I would be most grateful - I guess it's supposed to be some kind of figurative non-literal something what d'you Tate Modern worthy thingy wotsit, but I don't understand :crying:

Anyway, here you are - it's still under construction so not complete yet:

I Exist Exhibition Gallery

What i make of that is like my daughter she is a tiger on some days and she likes to go inside the trolleys and pretend it is a cage, which is where she has seen tigers in real life, bless, so i had to laugh when you put this. So whoever designed it may have done this when a child maybe, just guessing though. Sharon x :robbie:

Ohh, I'm having a right wibble now *wibbles*. :unsure: I keep telling myself that there's not a lot that can go wrong as there's going to be loads of ASD peeps there, that the staff will be ASD aware and that it's in an area of London I know well so if I can't cope I know how to escape and where the nearest bus stop to get home is, but my brain isn't listening to what I'm telling it and going off with multiple "Yes, but..." tracks. *wibbles again* I'm not good with any sort of groups of people things and annoyed with myself for feeling like this. :tearful::(

Oh well, at least pacing and flapping should work off enough calories to allow me extra chocolate :eat::lol::unsure:

WOW! Wow, wow, wow wow wow wow. Wow. :D :D :D:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I've had a great time. :thumbs: :thumbs: The quality of the work in the exhibition was amazing. I got to meet Jane Asher and the MP (can't remember his name) in charge of Health and Social Care who has had to make the Government's response to the autism bill - he talked a lot about this (despite being unfashionably late :shame:) and the consultation and about how they wanted to get this right - it was all really positive and given that there were probably 20 or so of us with ASDs listening plus family,friends, carers etc., he's going to have to come good on what he's promised :devil::lol:

Several people told me how much they liked my work, and someone even suggested that I should do more and that she hoped my work would be exhibited elsewhere as it conveyed a powerful message :thumbs: What I didn't realise was that my photography would also be in the exhibition :) This has really given me a lift just when I needed it although I was a bit upset at how difficult I found it to talk to others and cope with the environment despite the people there all being ASD aware. :( It also upset me when they talked about how the families of the exhibiting artists (artists???? :lol:) would be really proud - mine doesn't even know and certainly wouldn't be proud :tearful:

Oh, and then there was the fire-alarm that went off towards the end - fantastic way to quickly clear a room of ASD individuals! :unsure::lol:

If you get a chance to go to this exhibition, it's definitely well worth the trip. :)

Hi Mumble

I am joining this thread a bit late in the day. I just want to say how fantastic it all is. You sound as if you have had an amazing day with loads of wonderful memories for you to treasure.

I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself, Mumble. Lord, multiple exhibits.....

See, they don't do that kind of thing just cuz they like you- you've got talent, girl!

Don't be down on yourself for not finding the day to be total plain sailing- it's part and parcel, and no-one would have thought badly of you for having any difficulty coping.(if they even noticed, that is.)

I'm just glad you've had fun- and just you remember, there are loads of people here just as proud as Punch of you and your achievement.

Well done, petal!

Esther x