Sign in to follow this  
Alexandra

music to aid sleep

Hi haven't been on here for ages although I have read posts when I've popped on,

M has problems sleeping and seeing a peadatrician today she suggested

that classical music has been proven to work help Autistic children to relax and so to sleep

I'm interested in this, and wondered if anyone on here as heard of this and if they have

does it work or help and what music did you use.

Thanks Alex xx

hi ,,we went to o/t few weeks back and she tried using a book which is meditation for children,,,there was music on in background aswell,,it did work he was chilled out in about 10 mins,,didnt go to sleep but it was the middle of the day,,o/t is going to send the info on where i can get this book,,i will pm u when i know if u like jo

I find that music helps my sleep, but my wife needs total silence to sleep. Tired head phones but I end up with the wire wrapped round my neck.

Any sort really but new world or rock. :wacko: I am a bit mutton, a misspent youth.

My son (8) says the sound of the clock ticking helps him sleep.

Edited by chris54

he has been prescribed meds aswell now but they makin him hyper???? will speak to psych tmrw hopefully,,,yeah when o/t tried this therapy she used a weighted blanket over him and told this story,,in a very monatone voice i may add(i nearly fell to sleep ha ha),and ever so slowly,,this story he had to imagine he was an ant???it was almost like he was hypnotised??? because we have same problems and his sleep pattern is roughly 1-2 am,,and it is killin us,,,i will get back on to her and find out if she has'nt got in touch soon as she knows how desperate we are,,,also in spacekraft catalogues they have all different types of meditation stuff ,,but they are dvd's so unsure how that works???

you will have to let us know how you get on as we have this prob with son, very very light sleeper seeing pead on wed if gives us any usefull tips will let you know

There is a website that sells relaxation and meditation CD's for kids they were on dragons den I have used some of their samples and they are good. PM me if you want the address as I'm not sure I'm allowed to link to it.

We have a variety of relaxation cds that J used to has played over the years at bedtime, quietly in the background to help him drop off. He has soft music and also rainforest sounds, woodland, beach etc. I also have a soft lava lamp and other lights/visuals that soften the mood.

Mind you, these days he prefers Elbow at lights-out. I guess he's getting older.

Karen

x

yep - pretty much as above. Ben has a CD clock in his room and will often bung on music to help him sleep... I made him up a compilation CD which was 'ben's quiet CD' (he had a noisy CD for the car/his walkman) and he played that when he was around 4/5, then acquired most of my awful new age CD's that I don't listen to anymore - his faves were rainforests or streams or seas. these days he usually just watches DVD's until sleep time but will occassionally plump for a QOTSA CD (or pendulum is a fave at the mo) instead.

Not big on 'talking books' but worth a try - he listens to his flanimals CD in the bath sometimes!

L&P

BD

Hi, I use classical music to sleep with too the one I have has 3 cds and I am taking the most relaxing ones out and compiling them on a cd, as some of the tracks are loud and busy, ive looked on amazon too and they have a 3cd most relaxing classical music ever, ive just ordered it.

I have a combination of Relaxation CDs for J, one is " feel good music collection " and they have a range of titles from total tranquility to sleep, it depends what you want, I find a guided meditation is best for me, this is where your taken throw the whole body to relax and then visualise a nice warm sea, waves washing up on the sand wispering in the wind, that kind of thing, I like it as it stops me thinking of other things, its real nice, so do look into visualise meditation CDs too.

Classical music is nice and the one I do like is Grieg peer gynt morning but I use it to go to sleep. it is soo relaxing.

Here is a few of my favourates, offenbach, the tales of hoffmann, barcarolle.

Vivaldi the four seasons spring, 1st movement

Faure Pavane

I have Classical FM on in my bedroom for bedtime too, as I feel it does relax you.

I give it thumbs up.

The art is to relax, even if your not asleep, as long as your peaceful, not threating and not upset, resting and meditating is better than wide awake been distressed.

Good Luck with finding your preferred relaxing classical music CD.

JsMum

We also used a "sound machine" which plays the sound of the sea, or rain or whichever sound you prefer (even white noise).

Google NATURE CARE SOUNDS MACHINE for some links (you can use an adapter if you don't want to run it on batteries).

This is the CD that have have on my wish list:

http://www.earthvibemusic.com/cd/children/nature.htm

My sons also like listening to story tapes (available from the local library).

Hi,

studies show that particularly the music of Mozart helps children with ASD.

For sleep I would use the second movements of his piano concertoes. They are so relaxing and beautiful.

Whatever you decide to choose stick with it for awile because repetition wll give him also feeling of security which helps calming down before falling a sleep.

Good luck!

dana

Just remember, my son now 8 does not like music. Never liked all the things that baby's are supposed to like. From an early age he would show his dislike. Even now if we put music on he will ask for it to be turned off, it alright if its on the telly but not on its own.