Sign in to follow this  
tjw

growing up

hi

my son who is 6 and going through assesment at present seems to be getting upset by getting older, he does not want to get any taller and is always asking about his birthday and will he get taller and when you say well maybe he gets realy upset and say he wants no more b/day, i say well what about all the present you will get and he replys not bothered i will get present at xmas, so no more b/days, he wants to be peter pan and stay little 4ever,i am dreading sept his b/day already, he also seems to be getting very angry at things latley, he hurt his leg in bathroom about a hour ago and blamed his socks and started chucking them al over the place, which totaly takes me by suprise because he has always been i dont know never aggresive but quite mild mannered but at moment he is shouting alot and snapping at us i have spoke with school and no changes but will keep an eye on him, just wondered if any other parents have had this with they child.

thanks theresa xx

I had a pair of socks like that once - vicious, they were! :lol:

Sorry - not taking the pee, but that did make oi larf!

As a hem hem year old man, i can totally identify with his desire to be Peter Pan, but apart from keep pointing out to him all the wonderful things (hem hem again) that growing up offers i can't think of anything else to offer on that count either.

Changing behaviour - yes, i think it's par for the course. there's a thread running here on a very similar theme offering some very sound suggestions about things like social stories etc.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...c=20139&hl=

Hope that's useful - and sorry for laughing at the 'killer socks' :oops:

:D

hi bd

and thanks for reply, i know them socks can be lethal when wizzin past me head at 60miles an hrs now it is all a chairs fault for being in the way wow thank the lord he cannot pick that up yet lol thanks for the thread on bad temper i have been reading this and some great advise in they (from yours truely db)

glad i gave you a chuckle when i read back it is quite funny :clap:

theresa xx

Hi theresa, my lad is 15 now and has always been terrified of growing up. Every birthday he gets quite depressed and frets about getting older. With him it's a fear of things not staying the same. He suddenly starts to worry that it isn't appropriate for him to do things that he used to when he was younger and he doesn't know how to 'act his age' or how to behave, or he worries that his Lego is appropritate for a certain age range and he is suddenly too old to play with it, etc. He has always been very tiny for his age and very baby-faced and innocent looking. At 15 he is very, very young for his age and still much smaller and more vulnerable in appearance than his peers and this doesn't help as he doesn't feel that he fits into his age and feels that being a little boy playing with toys is a safer and nicer place to be, so I do understand how your lad is feeling. No advice really, I'm afraid, other than just constant reassurance, I guess.

~ Mel ~

Another one here...the mere thought of getting more grown up reduces him to tears he often says he wishes he was a toddler again n didnt have to grow up.

hi mel

i never though about it like that about not wanting things to change but yes george is alot like that he still loves toddler toys ect, but then says he cannot play with them due to him being 6, he is also quite tall for his age, all i keep doing is try to reasure him he will be fine, he asked me last nite what age i stoped growing and when i said i dont grow anymore he was realy happy, thanks for reply mel

theresa xx

Another one here...the mere thought of getting more grown up reduces him to tears he often says he wishes he was a toddler again n didnt have to grow up.

hi bikemad

thanks for reply, i am finding george pretending to be a baby more and more at mo, baby crys and gaga noises, hopefully he will stop this soon (due to it driving me mad lol) also thanks for starting the thread about temper some great replys on they, did you find out what s/storys are if you did can you let me know because i am not to sure myself what these are, thanks

theresa xx

hi bikemad

--did you find out what s/storys are if you did can you let me know because i am not to sure myself what these are,--

Social Stories are a teaching tool, a story is made up/adapted to focus on a few key point you want to teach a child. That is not a very good explanation but if you google Social stories you will find a few site dealing with them.

As Chris54 said really lol but ive got a site in my favs but im not sure if im allowed to post it in the thread but basically I googled social stories n it was there...site begins with p. ;)

bikemad was i about right on the example of s/s??? i hope so,,,,,,

Yes you were lol.

I googled for them aswel n theres some good sites with examples on them aswel. :thumbs:

ha ha ,my example maybe a bit harsh but it does happen innit,,can u imagine?? i just get screamed at lol,and im goin tnite,,,ooohhh nooooo xxxx