Sign in to follow this  
Nikki

Vitamins / Dietary supplements

Hi Everyone

I am after some feedback from any of you that have tried supplements such as Vitamins B6 / Magnesium etc with children.

I must admit I read all the info and there seems to be so many suggestions as to what to try that I would like to see if anyone has tried anything that they feel helps.

I know each child is different and maybe someone has asked this question before but I really would like any advice.

I seem to spend my days coming across questions to put to you all & and so far all the feedback I have had from the forum has really been of a great help.

Thanks

Nikki

Hi Nikki,

When Daniel was on The DDAT programme, he was advised to take a multi -vitamin/mineral preparation containing vitamins B3, 6 and 12 (which are supposed to be important in brain furnction) and also trace elements of magnesium, manganese and zinc -as these were stated as being essential co-factors for nerve development and function.

The first course of supplements I bought tasted awful, even though they were for his age group, so I had to shop around for a 'flavoured' supplement which he didn't mind taking.

I'm sorry, but I can't honestly say if these supplements did benefit Daniel, because another factor was, that he had to complete exercises on a daily basis. There was an improvement in Daniel and his school work, but I don't know if it was down to the supplements, exercises, or both, or possibly none at all - perhaps he was beginning to 'mature' a little.

Helen.

Hi Nikki

I have had Chris on EyeQ, vitB6 and Magnesium for about three months, we just dropped down to two tabs a day.

When we started he was having a terrible time at school, stressed, depressed. I've recently been told that this term has been better for him.

Im afraid though I have no idea whether the supps are responsible. Couldbe, could be not.

Think I will have to err on the side of "probably not" - it just seems a little too "miraculous"

Lisa

I've started Caghal on fish oil, but as they apparently take 4 months to show effect, I can't tell if they're working or not. Also, on advice, I started him on a Jan De Vries product, called 'Calming Child Essence'.

It's pants, frankly.

Tastes vile and hasn't worked on m'boy at all, though I am going to go back to the psychologist and query ADD/ADHD type thing again-one minute, he's Mr. Cool, the next he's a rampaging ball of high-pitched destruction!!!

Short of that, a wee nip of whisky might do the trick..(for me, not him!!! :thumbs: )

Esther x

hey all.

Dan's has been on "eye q" for aout 3 months now........ i think they help!

When we have good days we have very good days now :) , but the down side to that is when we have bad days the seem to be worse than normal. :(

But since they are only herbal we wil keep going with them as anything that help is good

Karen x

we have tried the following:

** 'fish oil' , this is good brain food,

** magnesium, directed at the muscles as a relaxant or the ease pain, ticks etc (recommeded).

** nervaids, basically a relaxant.

** evening primrose oil, hey, it helps us girlies, I have given it to my moody teenage boy and to my 9 year old ASD chlid, it seems to have a'balancing' effect.

We have also tried prescribed medication such as sleeping tablets, anti-depressants and others. These only had temporary effects or put Josh to sleep half an hour after taking them.

hope this helps,

spottedpelican