NikkiSmith

Social Services input

I am busy fighting Social Services at the moment and could even be classed as winning.... in some warped way, but that's another story. :wacko::hypno:

I was wondering what input other familes get - help? support? direct payment hours?

And did you have to fight to get it all? Did you make a complaint? or even take legal action? :wallbash:

I know I am being nosey, but I have no idea what to ask for, should that 64 million dollar question come up of "What do you want in the way of services?"

Thanks,

Nikki.

Had to fight to get a SW then still fighting for direct payments since last may, only help I got was a club who takes him out 3hrs a week, better than nothing but didnt need SS for this anyway!!!! Enid

A Family Support social Worker.

In the past respite care, weekends at foster carer that is matched up with a family that they said could cope, they couldnt and it ceased after 5 weeks.

They supported with communitycare grants, in the past.

Parenting courses, which I did actually found helpful.

A saturday club, but that has sinced ceased, A sessional Worker during Holidays.

Attended Multi Agency Meetings.

Weekly home care workers to help assist with bedtime, this team has now closed and set up throw Banardos and we do not get any home care support now.

I complained about the Areas Manager as she did not help us as a family.

Since J has been in residential school we have had one phone call to see how things are going.

I would like to see a lot more in place especially for children who are severly disruptive and aggressive and you need immidiate help.

I easily get frustrated with Social services, the lack of provisions is causing many children to go into care.

JsMum

Hi Nikki,

Sorry, had to laugh hysterically before answering!!!

Had to battle to get SW, once got, she did absolutely nothing, when we really needed them fro short term respite care, they refused. She now wants meeting to sign AJ off so we're left with a violent, aggressive 16yr old who is refusing to go to school, refusing to get a job, demanding money (not getting!), stealing from us and his yoiunger brother, dealing drugs - great help!!! Oh and she is about to go on maternity leave!!

Stella x

i would love social services to even respond to my request for help a year ago. after repeated requests for help, they do not respond and are very hostile when approached , i am disgusted :wallbash:

Sadly, I figured the responses would be along these lines....... :unsure:

How is it Social Services spend their time desperately trying NOT to provide services to families?!

I guess I will just keep fighting the system. I'm nearly at the end of Stage 3 of the complaints procedure, then off to the local government ombudsman! Hopefully SS will agree to put help in place eventually, like when a court says they have to!

I have been to so many multi agency meetings where every professional is happy to just past the problem to another department. It is infuriating and achieves absolutley nothing. :wallbash: :wallbash:

Thank you for the replies - I am already very very grateful for the one night of overnight respite my middle son gets each week, but even that didn't stop my family breaking up. :tearful:

Thanks,

Nikki.

- I am already very very grateful for the one night of overnight respite my middle son gets each week, but even that didn't stop my family breaking up. :tearful:

aww nikki im sorry to hear this, as a single parent , i know how hard it is to go it alone, but to cope with a break up to must be really hard...when i have the mental strength i am going to take on my social services and file a formal complaint , and bring in mp's etc ....i can only just deal with one thing at a time at mo, or i want to crawl into a cupboard

d x

It took a while to be accepted by the Disability Team as the dx wasn't yet formalised when we first applied in 2007, but I actually quite rate them now. The SW arranged a play worker to go with J to leisure activities twice a week year round (and she's ace) - it was a choice of that or 5 hours of direct payments, bought J a weighted blanket, offered 4 hrs respite a week (though I didn't think he was old enough so declined) got an OT team round to do an adaptations assessment and has generally been really supportive at reviews etc.

I've had a nightmare with my SW...we were referred to SS in January 2008 to see if were eligible for Direct payments. After a few months of chasing my SW we finally had an assessment. After, a few months of her coming to the house and asking me the same questions week after week, she told me our request would go to panel in September.

It finally went to panel in November, we then couldn't be paid until January as she had not completed the forms properly. I've been lied to on several occasions and after complaining about her I've been told that if I don't continue working with her, I will only have duty social workers visiting us.

Apart from the Direct Payments, she did nothing else in those 9 months. I feel like telling them to bog off as I could do with one less person coming to the house to waste my time :wallbash:

If I didn't think I'd need them in the future I would, but then it seems I don't have a SW at the moment anyway..... :oops: