Sign in to follow this  
Kathryn

EDUCATION - please read if you use this board a lot

Well it's a bit early in the yearfor a spring clean, but what the heck! :rolleyes:

It's been suggested that the pinned section in Education is unwieldy and confusing, with too many topics to search through. Some of the information may be out of date and some links may not work anymore. Also I notice that a lot of information is duplicated in different pinned topics.

We'd like to create a section where people can find information and links to useful sites quickly and easily. With that in mind, we'd like to consolidate the information in the pins above and reduce the number of topics. I'm wondering if long threads serve any purpose in this section or if it's better to just have a topic with one or two posts containing vital information.

Please let us know if you find the pinned topics useful or if you tend to ignore them and scroll down to the posts. If you use the pinned topics regularly, which are your favourites? Have you noticed anything there which is out of date and is there a new link or piece of information you would like to see in this section?

All views welcome, on this thread or via pm, and it would be especially good to hear from newer members as well.

Thanks

Kathryn

Kathryn, :)

Yes, I agree, the pinned section in Education is unwieldy and confusing. :wacko: I can't imagine who got it in that state. :rolleyes:

Can I suggest 2 pinned topics, one for SEN advice and one for SEN publications. This would mean you could delete most of what is there.

I'm sure others will have some brilliant ideas and suggestions for a clean up.

Nellie xx

SEN Advice

IPSEA Independent Panel for Special Education Advice

http://www.ipsea.org.uk/

ACE Education Advice Booklets

Free Booklets For Parents

http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/publications/index.html

Contact a Family Special Education

http://www.cafamily.org.uk/pdfs/educatio.pdf

SEN Publications

Special Educational Needs Code of Practice - a guide for schools and LEAs about the help they give to children with special educational needs.

Obtained free - 0845 60 222 60. http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/docbank/index.cfm?id=3724

SEN Toolkit

Obtained free - 0845 60 222 60.

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/wholeschool/s...istant/toolkit/

Special Educational Needs: A guide for Parents and Carers.

Obtained free - 0845 60 222 60. http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/docbank/index.cfm?id=3755

Edited by nellie

We are in the process of building an ASD website and the hardest bit is deciding what to leave out!

This one is not being left out.

Education Advocacy tips for Parents

http://www.autism.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly....1763&a=8791

I hope to have this one in a prominent position.

Early Support - Information for Parents

Autistic Spectrum disorders (ASDs) and related conditions

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/_doc/7040/Aut...ctrum%20Dis.pdf

Nellie xx

When i was going through the process of getting a statement it was helpful but yes confusing. It needs just a couple of pinned topics that we can just click and get what we are after.

I think the pinned topics have been extremly useful and I too used them a lot when going through the statement process.

No much help I know....but I can not really say what to weed out or what is out of date I am afraid. I will say though that some of the thread's posts were very useful as they give explanations of how others went through the process and the pitfalls etc

Wish I had more time to check through them to help, good luck and many thanks to admin and the mods for doing this for us.

Clare x x x

Hi.To be honest I use the pinned threads very little.I use the link to the Code Of Practice but that is about all.Although I use ACE website,IPSEA, NAS [education section] and teachernet [for up to date government information on issues such as behaviour and attendance ] I tend to go straight to the relevant site rather than wading through the threads.

If I am posting information for others I similarly tend to post a link to the site direct.

The web sites are very well informed and are up to date.With the threads in the pinned section the information may go out of date if not up dated regularly.

Maybe I am unusual.I am aware that I tend to value being able to go back to the original COP to check information out.

So from my perspective a few up to date links to sites that are known to be informative and user friendly would be great for the pinned section.

I am not saying there is not a place for threads in the discusion section to talk about issues pinned.Its just that usually when information is needed people don't want to wade through lots of ideas and opinions....they want the easiest link to what they need.

I have no idea who I learned from here in the last three years....Kathryn,Nellie..... :notworthy::oops::lol:

Hi.I was wondering this afternoon about a home ed pinned up dated thread too.I don't use that one....and hope not to myself .I don't think I would do a good job. :)

However I wonder if it might be useful to have a list of places to direct people to for more information on things like the legal basics,useful organisations etc.Karen.

I rarely use pinned topics but just a few with the important advice...legal requirements, procedures, organisations, etc would be good.

Pleased they're going to be reduced as it was a bit tedious to scroll down a whole page to reach posts :whistle::thumbs:

A x

(hmmm cross posted with you there Karen, lol)

Edited by aro

Thanks for ideas so far - keep them coming!

I think a separate Home Ed topic is a good idea.

I agree with you Karen about the threads - information and procedures change, and so discussions from long ago could be misleading if they are pinned. All the threads would stay on the forum - we wouldn't delete them - so they'd still be available for people to look at.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Definitely agree with a Home Ed section. When I was looking into it Sept/Oct I was quite surprised to find so little information on here. The existing pinned thread starts off about temporary home ed, with tutors provided by the LEA, then crosses over into elective HE and that could be confusing for people considering this option. I think we need to have specific sections for both of these as the legal positions, rights and responsibilities are different for each of them.

It would also be useful to have one thread for posting links to support organisations, resources etc for Home Edders.

Karen

x

Definitely agree with a Home Ed section. When I was looking into it Sept/Oct I was quite surprised to find so little information on here. The existing pinned thread starts off about temporary home ed, with tutors provided by the LEA, then crosses over into elective HE and that could be confusing for people considering this option. I think we need to have specific sections for both of these as the legal positions, rights and responsibilities are different for each of them.

It would also be useful to have one thread for posting links to support organisations, resources etc for Home Edders.

Karen

x

Hi.The information regarding medical needs and education and rights regarding educational provision [PRU or LEA funded tutor] is another topic that crops up fairly often.Maybe it might be worth having as another pinned section.I will try to find the ref I usually return to and post it in a mo. :) Karen.

Edited to add the link I usually look for.

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/management/at...medicalgrounds/

Edited by Karen A

Hi.The information regarding medical needs and education and rights regarding educational provision [PRU or LEA funded tutor] is another topic that crops up fairly often.Maybe it might be worth having as another pinned section.I will try to find the ref I usually return to and post it in a mo. :) Karen.

Edited to add the link I usually look for.

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/management/at...medicalgrounds/

This link is useful too .The page includes a ref to how to download the full guidance on abscence due to illness and access to education.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/School...ool/DG_10037983

''Acess to education for children and young people with medical needs ''.

Karen

x

Good point.

I think the information is on the forum somewhere, but buried in the middle of discussions of various threads, which is the problem with a lot of information on the boards. Unless you know where to look, it's not easy to find.

When I have a quiet moment this week I'll do some tidying!

K x

Exclusion is another regular issue.People may not know to look at ACE or IPSEA if they are new.How about putting this one on an exclusion thread.

http://www.ipsea.org.uk/exclusion-support-sheets.htm

The ACE booklets in exclusion on the link Nellie posted are good too.

Yours....a regular contributer who would like to be looking for work but is attempting to come to terms with her current status whatever that is.Currently available on a no fee basis for help with spring cleaning. :rolleyes::shame::lol:

Well I haven't quite finished yet, but I hope this will do for starters. There are now just 4 pinned topics. (Apologies if I've unpinned anyone's favourite, but it's still on the Education forum if you need it!).

Although my name is attached to these, I couldn't have done them without help. Special thanks to Nellie, Pookie and Karen and everyone who has made suggestions.

I think the links within the two main advice and publication topics should cover most requirements, and there is a separate home ed topic as requested. There's also a new Scotland topic - a HUGE thankyou to Pookie for digging up all this information for me :notworthy:>:D<<'>

I hope you can go more quickly and easily to the information you need. Please let me know if you can't easily find what you want, if a link doesn't work, or if a phone number is wrong. Also let me know if there is any information not covered by the above which you feel should be included.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

I second that- I don't know how you manage it.....(I have a hard enough time spring cleaning our house, never mind a site like this!!!)

Much appreciated, Kathryn. :thumbs:

Esther x

I find it hard to spring clean my house too!!

We can add some more links in due course to point directly to information like exclusions, DDA and other useful stuff.

In the meantime if you can't find what youre looking for, Karen has kindly offered to be here 24 hours a day to answer all your queries. ;):D

K x

Morning Kathryn.It did not take me long to discover another of my regular links that is not where it usually is.

What no ''checking the proposed statement'' where I left it last'' ? :o

http://www.afasic.org.uk/pdf/Proposed%20Statement.pdf

I don't know where it could go so will leave it here for now.

Can you tell that Ben is not the only person in our house that likes structure........ :whistle::whistle::lol: Karen.

Sorry Karen - I'm working on it. :) Yes that's a good link. I'm still figuring out where to put things and how much to include!

In the meantime I thought moving things around would keep you on your toes. :P

K x

Sorry Karen - I'm working on it. :) Yes that's a good link. I'm still figuring out where to put things and how much to include!

In the meantime I thought moving things around would keep you on your toes. :P

K x

No need to say sorry at all.I am sure you have plenty to keep you busy. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: