Sign in to follow this  
Fluffy

Melatonin

Will Melatonin help my sleeping problems? I've heard good things about it and want to give it a try, but not sure about the best way to get a prescription for it from my GP. Anyone here tried it? How was it?

I've been prescribed sleeping meds before but wasn't comfortable about their side effects; Melatonin doesn't have any serious side effects I'm aware of. In fact Melatonin is prescribed without prescription in the USA - don't understand why it requires a prescription here???

I haven't told the GP about my autism but they are aware of my past sleeping problems. If I ask my GP for it and use my sleep disorder as the only excuse, is there a good chance of me getting a prescription? - I'm hopin someone experienced with GP's can offer me some advice here.

Hmmm, it's funny I did a search for 'Melatonin' in the forum search engine and nothing came up. I searched about 3 times in different sections. I scroll down and I see several Melatonin posts. LoL.

I can't see how I can delete this thread...anyway, my question regarding getting a prescription still stands.

Js recieved his first prescription from the consultant peadatrition and I am not sure a GP can prescribe it, however I dont think there is any harm in sharing with your GP about your Autism and Sleeping disorders and requst a presription.

]

It is an unlisenced drug and I had to sign a concent form, here in the UK the Melatonin is synthetic based, but in the USA it could be animal based, basically melatonin is released naturally in the piturital glands but children with ASDs dont produce enough and so can not get a sleeping cycle going.

I cant believe how effective melatonin is on my son, within half an hour of melatinin liquid he is alseep, sometimes in 15 mins if he has had a break from taking it.

I wouldnt advise getting it over the internet as you dont know what is in it.

Here there is strict rules as it is a hormone.

JsMum

I bought our first supply of melatonin whilst on holiday in Florida from a store called Walgreens. It was an American equivilant of Boots and we found it in the health food section. We have bought subsequent bottles over the internet from a reputable source, if you PM me I will give you the web address.

Loraine

Thanks for the advice guys.

The last few days I've averaged about 4 hours sleep. I feel like a zombie. I'm desperate to try Melatonin.

I contacted my GP today and told them that I wanted to try Melatonin. They said they would have to consider my request in more depth and get back to me..... which basically means I ain't going to get a prescription. I think I'll have to try online. Thanks for the info lorryw.

It's not illegal to import medicines for your own personal use, and since it is so widely available in the USA, there are many reputable suppliers. In fact, it can wok out cheaper than the prescription charge. It's always best to be honest with your GP about any medications you are taking though.

My lad is on melatonin his was prescribed by camhs...it is a godsend, give it 8pm bed at 9pm n means he goes to sleep round the 10.30pm/11pm mark instead of 1am/2am.