Super Suzy

Little Autistic Monster AD

If the organisation was a company then it would be more understandable.As it is it is a charity that is being attacked.In the long term one implication is that companies will be more reluctant to support chrities because it will not be worth the bad pr if things go wrong.In the current financial climate charities need all the support they can get. :tearful: Karen.

Well the NAS had some very graphic images that were used in their recent advertising campaign and none of the scruffy radicals complained about that.

As for a conflict of interest declaration, my husband has a professional interest in the campaign through his work supervising students with Aspergers at the University.

It was his prompting that led me here (he's far too in-the-closet to post publicly.)

why do boys always get so snarly when you make it clear you won't oblige?

me and me chiati off to sisters tonight. left my password with Him so he can come and snarl back at you.

He's a professor, don't you know? At a very posh University. And I love him xXx.

Hi Suzy,

If your other half wants to join the debate he's very welcome but can he register separately please?

K

why do boys always get so snarly when you make it clear you won't oblige?

me and me chiati off to sisters tonight. left my password with Him so he can come and snarl back at you.

He's a professor, don't you know? At a very posh University. And I love him xXx.

Hi suzy :)

Sadly, I'm not a professa nor nuffink, and a bear of very little brain too... so i'm a bit confused by the above. Do you mean that your professa is getting snarly because you won't be representing him tonight, or do you feel some other boy is being snarly? And what, if the latter, are you not obliging? i'd be obliged if you'd elucedeight alucid tell. Thanks for clearing up the professional interest side of things in your other posts, but I'm unsure about the 'scruffy radicals' reference> has someone here made a comment about 'scruffy radicals'?

Enjoy your chianti - Bottoms up :)

L&P

BD :D

The only problem I've had with the NAS Think Differently/I Exist adverts has been the lack of context given. It's no good saying support and understanding can make all the difference without suggesting an example.

For me, when I have a period of hyper-sensitivity a town or city enviroment can be a problem. But in the countryside or car the experience is wonderful. I'm gonna write them an e-mail pointing out the lack of such an example in the adverts because they give the impression that each issue they talk about is caused by Autism in isolation to what's going on around a person.

The only problem I've had with the NAS Think Differently/I Exist adverts has been the lack of context given. It's no good saying support and understanding can make all the difference without suggesting an example.

The NAS used quite graphic images as well. They got away with it because they are totally pro autistic people. Action For Children are just using autism, in the same way as they used MS. Just incidental to their fundraising. The message is: give us money.

The NAS used quite graphic images as well. They got away with it because they are totally pro autistic people.

No. The difference is that the NAS used non-autistic actors for their images and none were based on an individual. They came out of focus groups with autistic individuals but are the suggestions of a collective/shared experience (whilst still accepting individual difference).

No. The difference is that the NAS used non-autistic actors for their images and none were based on an individual. They came out of focus groups with autistic individuals but are the suggestions of a collective/shared experience (whilst still accepting individual difference).

Oh why Oh why didn't Action For Children do the same thing?

Now, the old man himself Simon Baron-Cohen has said the ads are wrong:

http://thefamilyvoyage.blogspot.com/2009/0...hen-speaks.html

Now, the old man himself Simon Baron-Cohen has said the ads are wrong:

http://thefamilyvoyage.blogspot.com/2009/0...hen-speaks.html

Woahh, careful. SBC hasn't 'added his voice' or 'publicly demonstrated [his] objections to this unethical, misrepresentative and damaging ad'. In fact he doesn't even mention the charity. This appears to be an item of personal correspondence that is now in the public domain. We know nothing about the context and as such should be very wary about the assumptions drawn. All he has actually said in this email is that such imagery can be unhelpful - nothing more and nothing stronger (and certainly not that the ads are 'wrong') and it would be wrong to extrapolate from this.

I think Simon, after his recent excursion into the limelight, is being remarkably frank.

I'm surprised, and delighted that he's given permission for this letter to be used.

No, I've no doubt he means what he seems to mean. After all he was writing to the woman that runs the campaign.

Do you think he's foolish enough to do so after what just happened with the pre natal screening thing?

Edited by Kathryn

Ahem....

Getting back on track, I had a quiet chuckle after a phone conversation with my MIL (kinda thing!) last night-

She sed:

'Have you seen that advert about autism recently?'

'Yes' sed I, ' I have indeed, and I can't say I'm a big fan.....Why?'

'Oh'......quoth she,' It's just that I thought it might be useful....you know...'

I sagged, (inaudibly) at this point, cuz I knew what she meant......

'I just thought that maybe it'd be good to bear in mind?'

'You mean as a school choice?' I asked.

'Yes, you should have a look at their website and find out about it!' she said.....

Well, I politely declined with a brief explanation, and in one way, I was warmed by the fact that she had thought of my lad, or the spirit behind her suggestion, rather. But I think it's a good example of the well-meaning misinformation incurred by the advert......

(IYKWIM!!)

I did tell the MIL that I appreciated her passing it on though, cuz she meant well and she loves my lads, bless her!

we should all be here talking about what a wonderful advert Action For Children had made.

we would be if one of the execs had talked to the NAS (God bless 'em) or joined here and hung out a little.

don't they know? don't pick fights with mummies with little monsters.

we're trouble.

Edited by Kathryn

I've edited or removed several recent posts all of which which don't contribute anything to the topic of the thread, and some of which are just offensive.

Suzy, swearing at people isn't acceptable on the forum.

Please keep the discussion on topic.

Kathryn

Edited by Kathryn

Offensive and off topic content deleted by moderator. Edited by Kathryn

Regretfully, I am closing this thread as one poster appears determined to disrupt it.

Thanks to all who have contributed to an interesting discussion.

Kathryn