Sign in to follow this  
nellie

FAQ ? Frequently Asked Questions

I am compiling a list of frequently asked questions for an ASD website and would appreciate your feedback. The website is for individuals on the autistic spectrum, their parents, carers, professionals and interested parties.

What do you think are the most FAQ?

Nellie xx

Three off the top of my head:

How do I get a diagnosis as an adult?

How do I get a diagnosis for my child?

What is the difference between autism, Asperger syndrome and ASD?

K x

• What is a meltdown?
  • How should I deal with my child/an individual in meltdown?

(Sorry, I know these are very specific, but I was asked for some info addressing these two points yesterday and I couldn't find anything suitable anywhere on the Internet - there's a few you tube videos, some book suggestions, but no simple explanation I could give to others)

Oh yeah...

• Do all individuals with autism exhibit the same behaviours/difficulties/skills? :whistle:

Is there a list of support services available?

I think that I/someone I know, may have an ASD - how can I/they confirm this? Where should I/they go? Are there any tests I/they can take?

Is there a list of ASD 'friendly' places/days out/activities anywhere?

Is there a 'cure'? [i hate this question BTW but I have been asked it several times]

What's the best way to approach employment with an ASD - should I tell the company or not?

Is there a list of support services available?

I think that I/someone I know, may have an ASD - how can I/they confirm this? Where should I/they go? Are there any tests I/they can take?

Is there a list of ASD 'friendly' places/days out/activities anywhere?

Is there a 'cure'? [i hate this question BTW but I have been asked it several times]

What's the best way to approach employment with an ASD - should I tell the company or not?

Just out of interest should you tell your employer if you have an ASD?

I have thought about this even though my son is still at school.

Joanne

Just out of interest should you tell your employer if you have an ASD?

I have thought about this even though my son is still at school.

Joanne

Hi Joanne,

This question often pops up on this forum and there are no easy answer to it: everyone has different views and experiences! See this recent topic on disclosing AS at the interview stage.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=20190

It's best to keep this particular topic focused on FAQ suggestions, but feel free to start another discussion topic on this subject if you want to.

K x

I am compiling a list of frequently asked questions for an ASD website and would appreciate your feedback. The website is for individuals on the autistic spectrum, their parents, carers, professionals and interested parties.

What do you think are the most FAQ?

Nellie xx

Thanks mumble, a good question, meltdowns can be so frightening for everyone involved.

This might answer your question. I posted here about the rage cycle. http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...art=#entry90850

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I would like to have something on the website that answers people's initial questions when they or someone they care for is faced with a diagnosis or the realisation that they might be on the spectrum..........a sort of panic button. I thought that having a list of FAQ might fit that bill.

I would be grateful for any input.

Nellie xx

Nellie,

My thoughts when i was struggling to get the professionals to recognise my daughters needs were.

How do i get them to see what i see?

I think a lot of parents start looking at these sites before diagnosis, and when they are at crisis point in needing the diagnosis to get support, so perhaps the ideas of diaries and video evidence etc may be useful.

Also, who can i ask for advice?

I also think some parents will be frightened of social work input and may be afraid to ask questions about their input/involvement but may appreciate knowing what to expect.

I also worried was it something i did when i was pregnant or am i to blame? I think a few parents will wonder that, if they have no information or previous knowledge.

I think this is a really great idea.

Nic x

Nellie,

You got me thinking when you said "panic button". How about a drop down menu with different ASD related issues that takes you to links to useful sites

for example, if you select "non-verbal" it would take you to a page of links for things like PECS resources and sign language or "stress and anxiety" to links for tangles, rescue remedy and weighted blankets.

I know it's not what you were looking for and I apologise for going off topic, but I know that I have spent hours trawling the internet for various bits of information and resources and a place where it was all kept together would be an absolute godsend!

Plus, you could have a "no-one understands" option that links to this site :thumbs:

KJ

:notworthy: :notworthy: That's excellent :thumbs:

When can you extend to East London please. :D

I think, Karen, if we lift up London and slide it to the left, we should be able to drop it into the centre of Wokingham without anyone noticing. :lol::whistle: