Sign in to follow this  
Clare63

Bio Melatonin 3mg

Yesterday DS was prescribed Bio Melatonin, dosage 3mg, to help regulate a sleep pattern. Does anyone have any experience of this medication and how they found it worked.

DS refused to take it for the first time last night, he is very anti drugs and is terrified it will kill him. Would it hurt if either my DH or myself took one to prove its OK ?

Thanks

Clare x x x

Melatonin occurs naturally in the brain but some people don't make enough. If you took one you will probably have a good nights sleep :thumbs:

That said it is great for getting my dd off to sleep but doesn't stop her waking a few hours later, this is quite common. But for many it works really well.

Good luck,

A x

Oh, just to say that we mix the capsule contents into dd's juice, some people use yogurt, it might seem less frightening for your son that way?

Edited by aro

Not heard of BIO Melatonin but My Jay takes liquid Melatonin called KIDNAP, and wouldnt be without it.

Great and effective.

Enjoy a full nights sleep tonight.

JsMum

Not heard of BIO Melatonin but My Jay takes liquid Melatonin called KIDNAP, and wouldnt be without it.

Great and effective.

Enjoy a full nights sleep tonight.

JsMum

That's interesting as I asked for liquid, but I was told I could not have it in liquid form as you can not get melatonin in such a composition, as Connor really struggles with pills, I have been told to crush this pill and for him to take it with a spoon of yoghurt, think thats another reason he's be put off.

Bio melatonin is apparently fast release don't know if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your reply JsMum.

Clare x x x

Melatonin occurs naturally in the brain but some people don't make enough. If you took one you will probably have a good nights sleep :thumbs:

That said it is great for getting my dd off to sleep but doesn't stop her waking a few hours later, this is quite common. But for many it works really well.

Good luck,

A x

Oh, just to say that we mix the capsule contents into dd's juice, some people use yogurt, it might seem less frightening for your son that way?

Thanks Aro, the type we have is a coated pill and it was suggested to take with yoghurt as you stated crushed up. We had to have a special form to take along to the pharmacist as apparently the drug is unlicensed in the UK ? this version comes from Denmark !!!

Clare x x x

My lad is on melatonin but his are like a capsule that I can split n add to a little water as he will not and cant take tablets. He is on 5mg n I give it 8pm n bed at 9pm n he is asleep by half ten(without it he is up til early hours of the morning!!!).

My lad is on melatonin but his are like a capsule that I can split n add to a little water as he will not and cant take tablets. He is on 5mg n I give it 8pm n bed at 9pm n he is asleep by half ten(without it he is up til early hours of the morning!!!).

Wonder why Connor's is so different then, I wonder what the "bio" bit is ???

Hi, if its slow release and there little white borbbles you cant split these as the capsule is timed release.

J couldnt cope with timed release ones and he did have fast melts for a time, which where fantastic as he said they tasted of candy, they melted on the tounge and he took these no problem but then they stopped making them, so we researched melatonin liquid and its called kidnap and 1ml is 1mg he has up to 4mg but usually happy on 2mg if he has regular week end breaks.

The capsules that are not slow release are fine to shake into a glass of milk.

Js liquid melatonin is stired in a little bit of milk.

JsMum

L takes Bio Melatonin. He takes 6mg -2 tablets (It's in a blue square box with 60 in a box isn't it?) He is absolutely fine on it. It just helps him feel tired enough to go to sleep. It isn't a sleep pill as such, it seems to regulate the body clock properly to tell him when he is tired (It doesn't stop him waking up at all hours, and sleeping fretfully though!). He has been taking this one for a few months now, and is at the stage where he really needs a break from it for a couple of nights as he has grown used to it.

If your son finds it difficult to take, L's CAMHS doctor told us to crush it between 2 spoons and sprinkle it on his sandwich, or in a drink, or in yoghurt etc.

L has also taken melatonin capsules in the past - these are like little white plastic capsules - if you have this type, you should be able to pull apart the capsule and tip the contents into the sandwich/drink/yoghurt.

I have heard that you can get a liquid melatonin, but have never had need to use it, so don't know the in's and out's of getting it.

When L was first prescribed melatonin several years ago, his then Dr. said that there was certain milks that had melatonin added into....(never seen it myself mind!)

hello clare. did u get him 2 take it last nite?????

hope u r okay xxxxxx love yer loads xxxxxx

Nope....did he didn't, although thought he might like to try it around midnight, but I decided against in case he did not wake up in time for school !

We gonna have to do something because I am exhausted, but I really do not want to trick him into to taking it or he might think I spike all his food and drinks. In the meantime we'll have to just keep discussing it.

Clare x x x

L takes Bio Melatonin. He takes 6mg -2 tablets (It's in a blue square box with 60 in a box isn't it?) He is absolutely fine on it. It just helps him feel tired enough to go to sleep. It isn't a sleep pill as such, it seems to regulate the body clock properly to tell him when he is tired (It doesn't stop him waking up at all hours, and sleeping fretfully though!). He has been taking this one for a few months now, and is at the stage where he really needs a break from it for a couple of nights as he has grown used to it.

If your son finds it difficult to take, L's CAMHS doctor told us to crush it between 2 spoons and sprinkle it on his sandwich, or in a drink, or in yoghurt etc.

L has also taken melatonin capsules in the past - these are like little white plastic capsules - if you have this type, you should be able to pull apart the capsule and tip the contents into the sandwich/drink/yoghurt.

I have heard that you can get a liquid melatonin, but have never had need to use it, so don't know the in's and out's of getting it.

When L was first prescribed melatonin several years ago, his then Dr. said that there was certain milks that had melatonin added into....(never seen it myself mind!)

Yes Fiorelli, that exactly the one ! the purpose of our prescription was to regulate a sleep/wake apttern, so that sounds about right when you say to regulate the body clock. Bit concerned that it does not stop your child waking or sleep less fretfully, as DS can be like this, especially if he is anxious and then he needs his sleep most.

Well I have got to get him to take it first and at nearly 14 really can't force the issue or trick him as that would really not be fair. in the meantime we will keep discussing it and I will relay stories from the forum of other children taking it to try and reassure him its not going to give nay ill effects.

Thanks for your reply.

Clare x x x